Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
Kopjoy

Re: x201 random shutdown...

Please give me more detail what did you download?? Mine are all Lenovo softs.

What's DOS?
sceme07

I had the same problem, the computer shuts down unexpectedly. It was very disappointing to spend so much money on a brand name and get such bad quality (I also have an x61s which I like and is very reliable, which is why I bought Lenovo).

It actually already happened in the initial windows configuration, and then recurred on many occasions, mostly after sleep (closing the lid and opening sometime after) but even in mid operation.

I sent it for repair and Lenovo service (in Israel it is serviced by IBM) told me that the motherboard has to be replaced. It took more than two weeks, and when I got the laptop back the situation improved considerably.

However it has just occurred again, and I wonder what to do next.

I have Windows 7 pro, and I wonder if Windows XP would solve it. Does anyone experience the same problem with XP ?

Punch Card
madamd

you guys are scaring me... I just returned a T400s due to random shutdowns... and I was looking to buy a T410s or X201!!!

Paper Tape
chiabro

Here is my random shutdown horror story (still not solved..)

Got a brand new X201 provided by my employer, configured as 3626 W3Y.

After a few days of usage, one morning I wake up and the PC is dead, does not boot from anything (external drive, USB, CD etc).

Send it for repair. Lenovo says it needs to replace the motherboard. Wait for 3 weeks for replacement part to get in, I finally get my PC back.

However now it shows the random shutdown problem discussed in this forum. Mostrly related to sleep entry, but at times even during regular operation; I see a quick BSOD and then PC shuts down.

In the meanwhile, due to the 3 weeks wait,  my company sent me a second X201 configured exactly as the previous one. I start using it, this time only performing a minimal SW install:

-Updated all lenovo SW and drivers through thinkvantage system update

-installed firefox, skype and blackberry deskptop manager

and.. guess what? This second X201 behaves exactly as the first one!! Which means exactly the same  random shutdown problem.

At this point I started to debug two system in parallel, trying to change power options, uninstall SW, and try all I could think of, still no result. Sometime I think I found the issue, but within half a day at the most I get the shutdown problem once again.

I am considering performing a compelte reinstall of the machine(s).

Anyone has managed to solve this issue? Any suggestions? This is really frustrating and Lenovo should do something about it given many systems seem to show this issue so easily!

Paper Tape
chiabro

just one more note on my horror story above.. I am a big Lenovo fan, owned 2 T41s a T42, a X60 and X61 tablets which all worked beautifully, and was quite excited to receive the x201, but honestly the last month has been a nightmare and I wasted so much time..  so I am starting to consider NOT recommending Lenovo to anyone or at least X201 models..

Blue Screen Again
seanleeforever

has anyone proved a solution yet? my x201 tablet is experience this random shutdown issue. i have this laptop for 2 weeks and i get it shutdown on me 3 times (with and without AC plug).

any help would be greatly appriciated.

Fanfold Paper
Kopjoy

Hey,

Mine is still randomly shutdown automatically after 6 months of use too.

Please do something about it Lenovo man.

Paper Tape
mikeglobal

I have been using my x201 for 3 months and it started a few days ago and comes truely randomly. It is getting quite annoying now and it is not running hot.

Sometimes a blue error screen comes up and asks for a restart / or safe mode, at other times it just restarts.

The build is solid but I can't say I am very happy thus far.

There seems to be no fix either.

I am running Win 7 pro

Retired Employee
JameZ

Hi All,

Kindly check if all the drivers for your X201 has been updated via ThinkVantage System Update and also the Windows updates has been done as well.

//JameZ

Check out the Community Knowledge Base for hints and tips.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

W520 | 4176-38U | i7 - 2720QM | Quardo 1000M | 8GB RAM | 60GB OCZ Agility 3

Paper Tape
mikeglobal

This X201 is driving me NUTS!

I cannot update the drivers - when I do this my internet cannot turn on the wireless card PCI express adapter II b/g/n (I have done it twice and both times have failed so no more updating drivers)

After I updated the drivers - I had to do a clean install to get the internet connectivity issues fix.

BINGO for one month I have had no restart issues........... then today BOOM dejavu.

What can I say? Obviously the software issues have not been well sorted out - its a shame because it is fast. But we are talking computers here, not ferraris. And so can I get some reliability please!