OS loaded (ex. Win 7 64bit): Windows7 64bit
Lenovo default OS?: YES
Issue happen on Battery / AC / Both?: BOTH
Updates from TVSU completed?: YES
Updates from Windows Updates?: YES
Power Manager Version: 3.30
Power Management Driver: 1.60.0.4
RAM installed (brand and 1 x 4gb, 1 x 2gb, 2 x 2gb?): 2 GB
BSOD error code?: YES, BSOD each time!!!
3rd party application installed before issue happen?: NO
Any particular application which is running on the time this issue arises?: NO, it happened randomly!
Using docking station?: NO

Retired Employee
JameZ

Re: x201 random shutdown...

@Deco

Kindly PM me the following information needed.

Name:
Mobile:
Email:
Serial number:

Have you sent any of the X201 to the service centers before? If you do, do let me know the case number of those cases.

//JameZ

Check out the Community Knowledge Base for hints and tips.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

W520 | 4176-38U | i7 - 2720QM | Quardo 1000M | 8GB RAM | 60GB OCZ Agility 3

Lenovo Staff
Herik

Hi all,

Guys, you must be joking. All that I can see here are just information, based on which I cannot test anything.

Can someone of you check the Evnet log to make sure if there is not some entry, or at least some other information, on how it's possible to get this situation reproduced.

Althought this thread is long like the week before Christmas, but no exactly valid information.
Would like to help, but based on this it's not possible.

Cheers

Punch Card
peterh_hk

Hello, 

Sure, I can provide all the information needed to magnify on this issue.

Could you kindly let me know where I can retrieve the data you are referring to? 

Thanks!!

Lenovo Staff
Herik

Hi,

just check in the Computer management in your Event log, if you see there any comment in the application, system or security part.

As this situation happend randomly (as I understand) then there is no point in having some debuging tool started, as within 1 hour such a debug tool vimm nake 1000-of pages of log, which will take ages to debug. So in this case I assume the best would be to check the Windows Even tolg.

Cheers

Punch Card
peterh_hk

Hi,

Ok, I went into my Windows Logs, then I see there are Application, Security, Setup, System, Forwarded Event, I saw under Application, there are lots and lots of Error being shown in Level?!?!?!? 

Please do provide me more info!! THX!

Paper Tape
Deco

since this instant power off really IS instant, nothing is logged AT ALL!, so tell me what you want me to show your from event log.. things starting up? lol

it really is like you remove battery and AC, POOF!

but today.. a whole day of normal usage.. wheeeee! and no i didn't do anything, just have a lucky lenovo day

-Thomas

Retired Employee
JameZ

@peterh_hk and Deco,

Once the X201 randomly shut down again, do take note of the time of the shut down, boot up the PC then go to event logs and export the event for application / security / system.

Once all 3 has been exported, do email them to me and let me know the time which the laptop randomly shut down and we will try to troubleshoot from there onwards.

Do check your PM for my email address.

//JameZ

Check out the Community Knowledge Base for hints and tips.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

W520 | 4176-38U | i7 - 2720QM | Quardo 1000M | 8GB RAM | 60GB OCZ Agility 3

Punch Card
peterh_hk

GREAT! Thanks a lot, I appreciate your help!!

Paper Tape
peter_teng

@JameZ

I just had one this morning.  Here is the info from event log and netlogon

Event Log: 6008

Netlogon: 5719

One symptom I experienced for random shutdown are the follow 2 issues, not sure whether others has the same.

1) power cord attached (over heat problem), I'll try to update the ThinkVantage software and BIOS.

2) Outlook is downloading email.  9 out of 10 times, it's due to download of a email with larger than 5Mb size attachment.  For no known reason, it will shut off the computer AT THAT EMAIL.  Once I remove it from the server, everything is fine.  

I hope issue two can provide some insight.  Look forward to see this problem solved!  Thank you.