Support in other languages: 
What's DOS?
JonZ

Re: x201 random shutdown...

Having the same problem here ... shut down w/ monitor fade out.  

Lenovo team - are you guys able to duplicate the issue?

Fanfold Paper
charms81

Mark/ Anyone from Lenovo,

Can you you please have someone analyze this BSOD dump and post here on this forum about the potential error?

https://cid-aa9fddb721f4ed8b.skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?resid=AA9FDDB721F4ED8B!752&authkey=TsAYCHC...

I'm really tired of this machine due to so many issues:

1. BSOD's almost 2-3 times a day

2. Random shutdown 1-2 times always when I'm in mid of something.

3. Wireless adapter turns off randomly on startup.

4. Random display brightness issues.

And all of these issues are not only confined to me.. because there's a thread dedicated to each of the issues where many users are reporting the same issue.

Thanks!

I think I'm almost on the verge of putting Lenovo in my do-not-buy-do-not-recommend list. One of the biggest pos machine I've bought recently where the company behind it doesn't even support it. No reason to even call the support because they cant do anything other than going by the script given to them.

Retired Employee
JameZ

Hi charms81,

Thanks for the share... Will be passing it to engineering.

Also note for all, engineering is working with Microsoft to fix this problem and engineering has recommended a temporary workaround by doing a factory restore, once that is done, disable Win update, disable Win defender and update only via TVSU.

//JameZ

Check out the Community Knowledge Base for hints and tips.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

W520 | 4176-38U | i7 - 2720QM | Quardo 1000M | 8GB RAM | 60GB OCZ Agility 3

Fanfold Paper
charms81

Thanks for your prompt reply James. I already have the setup you mentioned and not a single windows update installed and all updates coming from TVSU. First day of install it didn't give a bsod but returned to the same schedule the very next day.

So in my setup I've factory system with driver updates from TVSU and microsoft essentials anti virus. I get shutdowns all the time.. Sometimes plugged, unplugged, usb hd attached, not attached, etc.

I also did 8 hours of mem test on each of my Ram slots individually and it returned no errors.

Please post issue found in the dump once your engineering team responds back.

Thanks,
Jay
Retired Employee
JameZ

@charms81,

Thanks for the feedback.

when you mentioned "So in my setup I've factory system with driver updates from TVSU and microsoft essentials anti virus. I get shutdowns all the time.. Sometimes plugged, unplugged, usb hd attached, not attached, etc." - are you getting random shutdown when using the configuration? Microsoft essentials antivirus comes in the Lenovo preload?

Thanks.
//JameZ

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Retired Employee
JameZ

@charms81,

Engineering reverted that your laptop is running Vista instead of Win 7?

//JameZ

Fanfold Paper
charms81

[ Edited ]

No James. It is factory reset x201 with Windows 7 Professional x64. Not vista and I'm not sure what the engineering team referenced to. I opened the mini-dump in debugger and it says Windows 7 as well.

Regarding Microsoft Security Essentials (http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/ )it does not come pre-installed from Lenovo, but I installed it as an antivirus. Also forgot to mention that I've Zonealarm as the firewall. I can remove them if needed for testing.

Regarding: "are you getting random shutdown when using the configuration?", Yes I got atleast 1 shutdown and 1 BSOD (for which the mini-dump file I attached) yesterday with exact same setup mentioned. The RAM does not seem to be an issue since I've individually done 8+ hours of memtest (http://www.memtest.org/ ) on each of the sticks.

Here's the exact config:

1   3249CTO   THINKPAD X201 - 1 YEAR DEPOT WARRANTY
1   60Y7805   SBB INTEL I5-520M 2.40GHZ 3MBL3
1   45M3090   VBB GENU WIN7 PROFES X64
1   60Y7932   SBB G WIN7 PROF64 US ENGLISH 
1   60Y7816   SBB 12.1 WXGA LED 2X2UCIIA W/CAMERA +WBLUETOOTH
1   42X6309   VBB 4GB PC3-8500 1067MHZ 2DIMM
1   44C5216   SBB KEYBOARD US ENGLISH
1   60Y7820   SBB TRACKPOINT/ FINGERPRINT READER+TOUCHPAD
1   60Y7834   SBB 320GB HDISKDRIVE, 7200RPM
1   60Y7826   SBB 5-1MEDIA CARD READER + MODEM
1   75Y1342   SBB THPAD X200 SER 6CELL LI-ION BATTERY
1   41W1787   SBB CPK NORTH AMERICA 
1   60Y7824   SBB BLUETOOTH W/ANTENNA 
1   45M3439   SBB INTEL CENTRINO WIRELESS N 1000
1   44C7950   SBB INT WRLSS WD AREA NTWRK UPGR
1   60Y7853   SBB WIN7 LAN PACK US ENGLISH

Fanfold Paper
stackmoney

Same problems as everyone here.

-- Random shutdowns over the course of the past months.
-- Sleep usually doesn't work. That is, it'll shutdown.
Paper Tape
tiflo

Hi,

I just got a x201 yesterday and had random shut down problems, too (blue screen, about every 4 minutes). Something in this post caught my attention: Zone Alarm. I had installed Zone Alarm, too. The system ended up restarting every 4 minutes. I've done a factory restore and for now the restart problem seems to be gone. But, of course, I'd like to be able to use Zone Alarm which I have been using on other computers for years.

To be clear, after the factory install I am NOT running Zone Alarm. ok, let me try to also provide as much of the info Lenovo staff seems to be looking for:

• Model 3249-CTO
  • BIOS version: 2.6
  • OS loaded: Windows 7 professional (64)
  • Lenovo default OS? yes
  • Issue happen on Battery / AC / Both? Both
  • Updates from TVSU completed? yes - but one critical update will not load no matter how much i try (Rescue and Recovery Cumulative WER fix package for Windows 7) . I've installed it three times and there is not error message. the system asks for a restart and once that is performed the installation apparently hasn't taken place. the next time I run TVSU it asks me again to install this critical update.
  • Updates from Windows Updates? I've installed all windows updates through TVSU
  • Power Manager Version: 3.30
  • Power Management Driver
  • RAM installed (brand and 1 x 4gb, 1 x 2gb, 2 x 2gb?): factory installed 1x4GB
  • BSOD error code?
  • 3rd party application installed before issue happen? see above
  • Any particular application which is running on the time this issue arises?
  • Using docking station?
  • Additional comments which you think might help: The TVSU updates also resulted in finger-print based login for windows not working anymore (i only get the standard login window; I checked the options and according to the fingerprint software setup, fingerprint login *is* enabled).
  • Are you able to recreate the issue on demand? well, I've replicated the zone alarm problem several times, yes.
  • clean Install or Factory: factory (but I performed a factory restore through rescue and recovery after the system started crashing. I had called Lenovo support and they were *not* helpful at all and told me that this was not a Lenovo problem. Great thing to hear when you just paid a lot of money for a new laptop.
  • version of OS: windows 7 professional x64
  • Bluetooth: Yes
  • Wifi Model: Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6250 AGN
  • Cpu: i7 M620 2.67Ghz
and more:
OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
Other OS Description  Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer LENOVO
System Model 3249CTO
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU       M 620  @ 2.67GHz, 2667 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date LENOVO 6QET61WW (1.31 ), 10/26/2010
SMBIOS Version 2.6
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7600.16385"
So, to sum up, I have three questions:
1) why doesn't the critical update install?
2) why does the fingerprint-based login not work properly anymore after updating through TVSU?
3) why does Zone alarm seem to cause blue screens when it works just fine on other computers. 
Punch Card
justbrae1

I'll be honest.. I can't believe people use zonealarm.

Are you guys using just the firewall? The full security suite?

ZoneAlarm is the pickiest software I've ever seen. Any minor trace of another antivirus program causes BSODs, explorer crashes and other random happenings.