Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
Bello

Re: x201 random shutdown...

After blowing out the fan with a vacuum cleaner my overheating problem just disappeared. The cooling system is really quite weak but removing all the dirt from time to time may help most people. The interesting thing is that nobody from the Lenovo support even heard of the problem and the required solution. Should be in big red letters on the screen when somebody calls with overheating or shutdown problems.

Paper Tape
MarylandTom

My X201 also shuts down several dramatically times a week, and the problem appears very much to be heat-related.  The only time I can run it on "Maximum Performance" is when it's somewhere cold (less than 60 degrees Fahrenheit).  In a normal indoor environment, it's almost certain to crash and die whenever I do anything CPU-intensive (like Photoshop, Illustrator, large data compression or encryption).

After it crashes, I have to let it sit for a few minutes, or it shuts down again as soon as it starts up.

Even on "Energy Saver" mode, it sometimes resets if I use it on a carpet, bed, or sofa.  The soft surface doesn't block the heat outflow on the side, but seems to be enough to make it boil over rapidly.

It has 8GB of Lenovo factory RAM, a 160GB SSD, and should be a super fast machine.  But it's very frustrating to have to run it at half-speed all the time just so it doesn't crash!

-Tom in Maryland

Paper Tape
MarylandTom

While I use 64-bit Windows 7, others report that their X201 also overheats when running Linux:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=675433

-Tom in Maryland
Blue Screen Again
alexuk

[ Edited ]

I agree some symptoms reported above point to heat problems.If they are heat related they will happen with any OS as this is really CMOS shutting down the machineto prevent thermal damage to the CPU. Looks like severe cooling underspecs from Lenovo particularly in the presence of dusty environments (causing dust on the heatsink, fan, etc).

Byt my shutdowns were different. They were always and only in win7 (most of the time the machine runs linux). They only happened while charging. I know lenovo's power manager changes the voltage settings while charging (as it should be of course). Whatever it was, shutdowns no longer happen leaving the battery to microsoft.

I have also experienced shutdowns in sleep mode as reported above. They are annoying but not as annoying as while working. Also it happens to me very rarely. I do not know whether these will also be "cured" by the removal of lenovo's drivers.

Good luck to everyone with this. This does make me thing hard as to whether my next machine is going to be a Lenovo.On balance, since I am a heavy Linux user, I guess I will stick with it (had no problems with Linux and love their keyboards). However Lenovo's response has been poor. If I were a Windows user I'd avoid them in the future.

Paper Tape
eralaek

My X201 is working fine after blowing the dust from the fan!

Paper Tape
act_dk

[ Edited ]

I'm experiencing exactly the same as redhand did (see page 21). Have had the laptop for repair at Lenovo Germany two times, but they cannot replicate the error - and therefore say it's a OS problem. Reinstalled Win7 64 several times without solving the error..

After 3 random shutdowns while using the laptop today I'm getting rather mad! Nothing to find in the event log...

By the way have another X201 with only difference being a larger battery, a 7200rpm disk and 3G modem installed - the OS and drivers are setup exactly the same way. However this one do not have the problem!

The issue is not heat related as the laptop never really gets hot (and it happens in standby as well).

Paper Tape
acoustesh

Same problem here. X201 8GB RAM Intel SSD.  Random shutdowns about once a day, specially when idle.  Very annoying.  No message in windows log, I vacuumed the fan to no avail.

Paper Tape
AlexXXL

Had same problem. Was upset for a long. I used zalman thermopaste ZALMAN ZM-STG1 for thermal sink. Now problem is gone. I have 54C cpu temp while surfing, with 28% cpu load at 1.5GHz. It was about 63C before. And i was frustrating from a periodic shutdowns (5 times a day). Cheap thermopaste, which i've used before had no effect.

Paper Tape
acoustesh

The problem is very annoying.  I am having it almost 6 months with an average of 4-6 reboots per week. Fortunately the reboots are 80% when I am not working and occur when the notebook is  turned on but sitting idle.

It was not always the case.  The first six months the system was bug free and after an update It never return to the same state.I know at least to other people that have the same problem but less frequently, once a month or so.

I have tried many, many things spell out in this forum an nothing works.

I used to work in IBM and I was a big Thinkpad fan but not anymore. As a matter of fact I used to buy only Thinkpads for me and other people but right now I am more into Toshiba and Samsung.  I am very happy with the change, similar functionality but those laptops do not reboot randonmly. The only reason I do not through the notebook away is because it is very annoying but manageable.  I have many programs installed and it is such a hazzle and cost to reinstall them.  I have posted 3 messages in this forum and no one from Lenovo has ever contacted me, so I infere they do not really care.

I

Fanfold Paper
asdfaolk

[ Edited ]

My recent experience indicates that at least some of the standby shutdowns may actually be due to dust as well -- as well as some weird standby entry behaviour.

I've only twice or thrice ever had my X201 shut down when it's running, and never on high load, so I've always doubted that the problems are due to dust. However, the computer very frequently shuts down on standby. Recently it has got so bad that during the last month or so, it has not once went into standby, it has always simply shut down when I try to put it into standby. (I've given up, and enabled hybrid sleep, so it simply hibernates when standby fails.) This is usually combined with the standby led (the moon) being lit, but the fan still spinning for a while, until the system decides to simply shut down.

Lately the computer also started getting otherwise quite noisy, so I finally vacuumed it. Now it has kindly went into standby thrice in a row. This would indicate that dust was the problem for the standby shutdowns as well. But it's weird. I'm wondering if there's some logic in the BIOS that tries to cool down the system before going properly into standby, and when it fails to reach the required levels quickly enough (because performance is decrease due to dust), it just shuts the system down instead of going into standby?If so, this behaviour is really strange, and should in my opinion be altered. (Kindly the system would on next power up complain about the fact.) I mostly use the computer connected to the power grid, so the problem is not low battery levels.

All that said, also changing the drivers has often improved the situation for a short while, so it could be that on the next attempt to go into standby, it fails again. I've almost given up believing that software behaves according to rules of logic, but rather stochastically...