Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
hedlm

Re: x201 random shutdown...

My problem happened again :smileysad: although already do this:

1) I update BIOS to latest level

2) And Power manager (i delete it) and display drivers to latest level available on Lenovo's web site.

3) And uncheck Display Power Savings Technology.

My display issue was resolved but my random shutdowns continue when i play games and the laptop turn hot, it is like someone pull out the battery, just black screen and i need to turn on my laptop again.

Please someone help, is my first Lenovo and this is very disappointing :smileysad:

Paper Tape
johnmerb

My sleep/resume, unending shutdown with blackscreen and hot fan, wifi radio not always powering up, and having to restart by doing a full power button shutdown problems ended up being a bad bluetooth radio daughter board, Removed it and the computer is working like new.
Token Ring
heretohelp

Could the units be overheating that would cause an instant power off

Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 411
Kudos: 1,326
Solutions: 286

Heretohelp,

I don't think this is thermal since it goes away for many customers for periods of time.  Also, there seem to be a lot of variables in the discussion (there were on the T400s shutdown too).   I've heard Win 7 is a common variable on this one, but I'm not blaming the OS itself.

I know you are working with Jamez regarding some of your other concerns, and I'd like to get our project office involved given your sizable install base, and the ongoing relationship.

Would you please send me a PM with your contact information - Your Name,  the company / institution you represent and the related location & phone to reach you.   Also, could you include an example MT & Serial from your intstall base? 

I'd like to ensure we are working this at the right level and not just here in the forum.  

Thanks

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

What's DOS?
jcarcopo

I just ordered my first Lenovo product yesterday and it is also an X201 Tablet. Exactly how prevalent is this sudden loss of power problem among owners of this model? I am seriously considering cancelling my order and would like some reassurance prior to spending a premium for a product that offers no better "out of the box experience" than any other pc manufacturer (in other words if I wanted a crap shoot I can pay less for quirky problems of unknown origin). This forum stretches for months with no resolution. In fact it would seem your company has done little until a big customer with a large number of X201 brings up his concerns in here. I'm having cold feet about this already. I am in no mood to have these kind of ridiculous shenanigans with my first Lenovo product experience. There are not enough hours in the day for me to contend with sudden power loss issues. These forums do little to instill any faith in your product or your support thus far. Honestly, should I just cancel? This is a lot of money to spend on a tablet and if I would have a better experience holding off a few months than I just assume wait. Please Advise. (I will forward this thread to my sales rep and wait until Monday to get a response from you or him prior to cancelling my order.)
Community SuperMod
bananaman

[ Edited ]

jcarcopo wrote:
I just ordered my first Lenovo product yesterday and it is also an X201 Tablet. Exactly how prevalent is this sudden loss of power problem among owners of this model? I am seriously considering cancelling my order and would like some reassurance prior to spending a premium for a product that offers no better "out of the box experience" than any other pc manufacturer (in other words if I wanted a crap shoot I can pay less for quirky problems of unknown origin). This forum stretches for months with no resolution. In fact it would seem your company has done little until a big customer with a large number of X201 brings up his concerns in here. I'm having cold feet about this already. I am in no mood to have these kind of ridiculous shenanigans with my first Lenovo product experience. There are not enough hours in the day for me to contend with sudden power loss issues. These forums do little to instill any faith in your product or your support thus far. Honestly, should I just cancel? This is a lot of money to spend on a tablet and if I would have a better experience holding off a few months than I just assume wait. Please Advise. (I will forward this thread to my sales rep and wait until Monday to get a response from you or him prior to cancelling my order.)

Hi jcarcopo, and welcome to the Lenovo User Community!

Don't forget that the forums represent a skewed view of reality since those with problems are way more likely to come and post here. Those without problems are much less likely to post.

I can only find one mention of this problem in a tablet (this is the non-tablet X Series board).

For X Series Tablet-oriented discussions check here:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-Tablet-ThinkPad-Laptops/bd-p/X_Series_Tablet_ThinkPads

In short, this wouldn't stop me from buying an X201, tablet or non-tablet!

Hope this helps!

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
What's DOS?
jcarcopo

Hey Bannanaman! OH.....well I guess I feel better if for no other reason than dodging a bullet based on technicality. :-) - I guess I will sit down and be quiet until there actually is a fire! ....scuttles away in embarassment!
Fanfold Paper
koonfused

[ Edited ]

Edit: Ignore, Just had a system shutdown.

I think i have found a way to fix this issue,

I had my laptop turn off a few times a day and for a day and half now, I have had no shutdowns.

Go to bios>Security and disable bluetooth.

As I and others have experiancced, most times when random shutdowns happend the wireless radios would turn on/off randomly. I usually had my bluetooth off, and everytime it shutdowned bluetooth would be back on, which led me to belive it had something to do with the bluetooth module. 

Also as i recall there was another post that said removing the bluetooth fixed the issue, so far, disabling it in bios seems to fix it.

obviously this is not an accaptable soloution from lenovo since we all paid for bluetooth because we needed to use it, but for now untill lenovo get their act together and fix this problem properly I rather have no bluetooth than my computer just shutting down whenever it pelease.

Fanfold Paper
koonfused

to try and track down the common cases, can people who are experiancing shutdowns answer as many of these questions as you can,

Clean Install or Factory:

version of OS:

Bluetooth:

Wifi Model:

Cpu:

that way we might be able to find if there is anything common between us and hopefully find and issue.

Fanfold Paper
koonfused

Clean Install or Factory: Clean

version of OS: Ultimate x64

Bluetooth: Yes

Wifi Model: Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6200 AGN

Cpu: i5 M540 2.53Ghz