Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
lyrys

x201i is about to go in the dumpster

[ Edited ]

Just about had it with this thing;

x201i x64 on Win7 (less than a year old)

- bluescreen errors upon waking from sleep -- been doing this since i got it (near as i recollect).

- issue with intel (r) hd driver and wudfrd.sys -- not sure when this began, but perhaps when i updated the drivers

- device mgr reports no probs (in fact, sfc, chkdsk, pcdoc ... most every ute tells me my computer is just dandy, workin fine)

- sound is all of a sudden scratchy, laggy, utter crap... and only since updating drivers to the latest... from lenovo.

- video is likewise suddenly crap.

installed win7 update, after installing the necessary patch - have subsequently uninstalled.  used system update from lenovo.  nothin. tried startup repair.  tried sys.restore.  having recently installed new ram, ran windows memory test (not memtest - don't have time) and the lenovo/repair memory test... all checks out fine.  googled extensively and ran just about every win7 troubleshooter.  

i find it particularly irksome that updates from lenovo appear to have helped nothing... and worse yet, actually appear to have caused new issues.

never thought i'd say it, but this computer has me rethinking thinkpad altogether.  anyone having similar probs - or any idea what the hell is wrong with my tp?

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,253
Solutions: 1,344

Re: x201i is about to go in the dumpster

have you tried to reinstall the OS from scratch?
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Guru
ColonelONeill

Agreed. Windows is probably hosed from anything from too much junkware installed to the aftermath of a malware infection.
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1090/695/1390, 22GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
TPT1: 1839-23U, stock ICS
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
Fanfold Paper
lyrys

[ Edited ]

lead_org wrote:
have you tried to reinstall the OS from scratch?

i've not - no disk (and no cdrom were i to have one).

(3249-MDU btw)

Fanfold Paper
lyrys

ColonelONeill wrote:
Agreed. Windows is probably hosed from anything from too much junkware installed to the aftermath of a malware infection.

haven't experienced any such aftermath - plenty of coverage - malwarebytes, avira, spywareblaster, winpatrol... none of which, i might add, appear to be the source of the issue.

seems to me like a driver conflict, only device manager doesn't appear to notice it - "performance issues" under "performance info and tools\advanced tools," on the other hand, does.

interesting development - found my smart card reader had been turned off? "turned off," as in, had to use gpedit to reenable cuz it wasn't even listed in dev mgr.  

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,253
Solutions: 1,344

press the blue thinkvantage button during the laptop startup, can you still boot into the recovery partition?
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Fanfold Paper
lyrys

that i can do.