Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
kri2k

x201s -- External display issues?

So I've jumped with great anticipation on the X201S bandwagon this past month, with an X201S Core i7 640M, along with a self-added Intel X-25M G2 160GB SSD running Win7 Pro.

It's a pretty sweet machine; if anything, it just outperforms anything I throw at it! However, I've been having some issues with docked power-on scenarios, where my external display just doesn't want to display anything.

I did some more digging, and I'm suspecting that this may be a firmware-related issue, since usually when the X201S feels 'happy', I get the power-on POST screen on my external display, and everything works-fine from there.

When I don't see the POST screen, I know I'm going to hit some trouble.  At this point, I'm 'headless' until I flip-open the notebook's screen, but even that screen is dark, until I login with my fingerprint reader, then start using FN-F7 (switch display), FN-F7 (again), then ENTER.  To switch display modes, and eventually OS will detect a device-driver crash on the display device, and then fall into display recovery mode (without AERO)

"Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

Further analysis, leads to Dwm.exe which was at the latest display device driver version supported by Lenovo (v8.15.10.2025), and then I recently updated it from Intel's site, to v8.15.10.2085, and still no luck.

It's definitely not a device-driver issue; since I would normally get a POST screen that is before the OS loads. Anyone have any insights, before I open-up a case with Lenovo?

Cheers

Punch Card
wallmage

Re: x201s -- External display issues?

exactly the same problem here!

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=473950

i'll contact lenovo and keep you posted.

Current: X200, X201s (waiting)
Retired: X31
Punch Card
JoeyZhang

It looks like a firmware-related issue.

Punch Card
wallmage

called lenovo, they just asked my driver version, system version....after verifying that my display is the latest one downloaded from lenovo, they suggested me run lenovo toolbox to examine compatibility issue....

i'm pretty sure the toolbox won't find anything...and i'm pretty sure that customer representative won't help me solve this issue...

how can we report technical related issues to engineers directly? 

Punch Card
wallmage

solved:

intel released a new version driver on April 05. I've been using it for 3 days, never had that problem!

steps:

1, uninstall the previous driver. (you must uninstall the previous one first!!!)

2, install the new driver.

Paper Tape
kri2k

Glad to head the software update from Intel did the trick..

I opened-up a ticket on ESR, and they didn't even bother calling me, instead I got a box in the mail requesting to ship my notebook.

Just got it back, after 2 weeks, ticket says that they replaced the motherboard; the scratched screws seems to confirm that they replaced my mobo.

Cheers

Paper Tape
JohannesS

How did you install the new intel drivers on your X201s?

If I download the new drivers directly from the intel side, I can't install them? I get an error message telling me that the software cannot be installed because it has not been verified by Lenovo.