Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
wyzex

x220 IPS - blinking screen (sore eyes)

Hello,

I'm writing about one issue with laptop x220 which I've found few weeks ago.
I bought the x220 a few months ago but I have not used it actively till last weeks. I like this laptop but there is one problem which prevents me use it in full production,

It is about screen blinking which hurts my vision. I see it permanently and my eyes are got tired very quickly. Actually I can not work with this laptop more than 40 minutes! After this period my eyes are red and I feel headache.

This blinking is barely perceptible but I see it and my relatives see it as well. I'm not sure the problem is only in blinking, but this screen really hurts me.

For information, I have T61P as well and this laptop don't have this problem. Moreover I worked on T420 and T520 and they are normal too.

Could you please advise me what can be done?I like this laptop and want to fix this problem.

Very appreciated

P.S. I have 1.21 BIOS and latest monitor and video drivers. 60 Hz is selected as refresh rate in driver settings

Fanfold Paper
zygomatic

Re: x220 IPS - blinking screen (sore eyes)

You may be suffering from the 50 Hz bug, which puts the refresh rate to 50 Hz on battery even when it's set to 60 Hz.  Try these steps:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/lenovo-ibm/602582-x220-t420s-guide-get-rid-50-hz-when-running-batter...

Paper Tape
wyzex

[ Edited ]

I've done it. 60 Hz is constant but i doesn't help.

any solutions?

Paper Tape
wyzex

[ Edited ]

Lenovo Support, 

Can this laptop / matrix be returned to lenovo service for fix or refund?

Paper Tape
wyzex

[ Edited ]

none

Paper Tape
AlTov

I have exactly the same problem. The IPS screen on x220 hurts my eyes!!! On 60Hz.

Lenovo, wouldn't you answer please?

Community SuperMod
sarbin

[ Edited ]

AlTov wrote:

I have exactly the same problem. The IPS screen on x220 hurts my eyes!!! On 60Hz.

Lenovo, wouldn't you answer please?

welcome to the community.

first, please make sure that you're running the most current video driver (8.15.10.2769). you can get it here:

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/research/hints-or-tips/detail.page?&LegacyDocID=MIGR-77280

this is the driver matrix for the x220 and it usually has new drivers before you'll see them in tvsu.

once you've got the newest driver installed, have a look at this thread:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/X220-uncontrollably-switches-to-50Hz-refresh-r...

specifically on the last page, the third post (by bananaman). you'll need to set two parameters in the intel graphics control application. no need to hack any drivers or edit the registry as other workarounds suggest.

please post back and let us know if this solves the issue for you.

cheers.

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   Русскоязычное Русскоязычное Сообщество
Community Resources: Participation RulesImages in postsSearch (Advanced)Private Messaging
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
Helix X220 X301 X200T T61p T60p Yoga2ProT420 T510 T400 R400 T61 Yoga13

I am not a Lenovo employee.
Paper Tape
AlTov

[ Edited ]

sarbin wrote:

first, please make sure that you're running the most current video driver (8.15.10.2769). you can get it here:

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/research/hints-or-tips/detail.page?&LegacyDocID=MIGR-77280

this is the driver matrix for the x220 and it usually has new drivers before you'll see them in tvsu.

once you've got the newest driver installed, have a look at this thread:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/X220-uncontrollably-switches-to-50Hz-refresh-r...

specifically on the last page, the third post (by bananaman). you'll need to set two parameters in the intel graphics control application. no need to hack any drivers or edit the registry as other workarounds suggest.

Sorry for late reply, I've seen your post only today (I thought there will be some email notification or smth. I don't know why I thought so).

I updated the driver and checked the parameters in the intel graphics control application (it is set right) and I have to say that it doesn't really change anything:smileysad:

Decreasing of the level of contrast in graphic options helps a little but not very much.

Yesterday I spend the whole day without turning on my notebook letting my eyes to rest. And today I worked using an external monitor in the office. And I need to say that only after this 2 days my eyes felt OK. But recently in the evening I decided to use the screen of x220 again and my eyes started to feel pain (feeling like sand in the eyes) already after 30-60 seconds sitting in front of the IPS screen of x220. It's really scaring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't experience such problems with any other device's screen: smartphone, friend's laptop, external monitor, anything!!! The problem is I'm not home now and I need to use a notebook next 2 weeks get my work done:smileysad:

Now I experimenting with tool called IntelPWMControl changing PWM (Pulse-width modulation) of the screen. It was recommended on one russian forum (I could post the links here). Could you tell something about changing PWM? Any recommendations?

Also I'm thinking to sell this x220 and buy the one with TFT screen:smileysad: I really like the trackpoint:smileyhappy:

So, is it possible to do something with the x220 IPS screen or the problem with its (VERY) painful backlight is hardware?

Community SuperMod
sarbin

@AlTov...

i apologize... i thought that you were having the problem where the driver would switch the display to 50Hz under certain conditions. i reread your earlier post and saw you were experiencing discomfort issues at 60Hz.

i wish i could offer something else for you to try.

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   Русскоязычное Русскоязычное Сообщество
Community Resources: Participation RulesImages in postsSearch (Advanced)Private Messaging
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
Helix X220 X301 X200T T61p T60p Yoga2ProT420 T510 T400 R400 T61 Yoga13

I am not a Lenovo employee.
Paper Tape
AlTov

So... Any propositions? I think my previous post was very detail.
Someone else with such kind of problem and sensitive (I had -10 D before the operation) eyes?