Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
seriolavore
Accepted Solution

x220 does not resume from sleep

[ Edited ]

A few issues posted on here look similar, but I haven't found something identical.

About 10% of the time, the machine does not resume from sleep.  Upon opening the lid, the LED night-light, caps-lock light, power light, mic light, and mute light cycle through one flash every seven seconds or so.  No messages appear on the screen.  Pressing the power button does nothing.  After a forced shutdown (longpress power button), then pressing the power button once, I'm given the message about windows not shutting down properly with the choice of starting in safe mode.

I'm not sure of the cause... I've updated everything I can think of, but the issue persists (on an irregular basis).  Is the battery too loose in the slot?  Would a jiggling of the batterery during sleep cause an improper shutdown?

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
SBB INTEL CORE I5-2520M PROC
System Model 4286CTO
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2520M CPU @ 2.50GHz, 2501 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date LENOVO 8DET54WW (1.24 ), 10/18/2011
SMBIOS Version 2.6

This issue is NOT solved.  I'll update changes in comments below.

If there's a green box below this post that says "solved," please ignore.

Punch Card
seriolavore

Re: x220 does not resume from sleep

[ Edited ]

... Just happened again, without the flashing LEDs or need for a longpress this time (perhaps the flashing LEDs haven't accompanied the issue since the last BIOS update).

A look at the event viewer gives records the following error at the time of attempted resume from sleep:

"Critical11/18/2011 10:57:01 PM Kernel-Power 41 (63)"

Edit: Adding explanation of Error 41--

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 11/18/2011 10:57:01 PM
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (2)
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

"BugcheckCode" 0
"BugcheckParameter1" 0x0
"BugcheckParameter2" 0x0
"BugcheckParameter3" 0x0
"BugcheckParameter4" 0x0
"SleepInProgress" true
"PowerButtonTimestamp" 0

Any suggestions, folks?  Thanks.

Punch Card
seriolavore

[ Edited ]

I've decided this occurs more frequently when I move the laptop during sleep than when it sits at my desk.  I suspect the loose battery is the issue, but who knows... Awfully frustrating, though.

The flashing of the power, capslock, LED, mic, and mute buttons continues.

Punch Card
seriolavore

[ Edited ]

Update:

I called Lenovo support to file a service request.  The technichian had me update all the Lenovo software.  This did not solve the problem, so I sent the computer in to be repaired.  The repair was completed quickly: They sent me a box which arrived on Wednesday, I had the machine in the mail on Thursday, and the computer was back to me on Monday.  Note, though, a shipping label (from me to the repair facility) was not included with the initial empty box, and it took three phone calls with the support line to get them to email me a label.

I've had the computer back now for more than a weeek, and I've traveled with it extensively.  The issue described above appears to be fixed.  The repair facility "replaced the motherboard."  I have only had one new technichal issue since then: the battery indicator light blinked orange, and the battery would not charge; but this issue did not persist after a restart.  If it returns, I will have to contact the repair facility again... but all-in-all, so far I am satisfied with the repair.

Thanks.

Edit: The returned computer had the same issue within weeks.  See subsequent posts.  Sending in the computer for repair was not a solution.

Community SuperMod
bananaman

Hi seriolavre! I know this was a long conversation with yourself but I want to thank you for posting lots of relevant information and coming back with the final resolution so that it might help others. Kudos!
I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Punch Card
seriolavore

I spoke too soon.  The issue persists, with the same critical error recorded in the event viewer.

This is the first time in three weeks, so perhaps that's a decrease in the frequency of crashes; I'll need some more time... but regardless, I don't think a new computer should be crashing randomly at all.  I'll have to wait and see how often this continues to occur.  I'd say my current thought is to try a spin with a different brand.  I'm not very motivated to send this back for another "repair," as it's inconvenient to be without a laptop, and there seems to be little incentive to send it in if it is returned in the same malfunctioning condition.

Punch Card
seriolavore

Yep, this continues at the same frequency after the repair as before the repair.  It will not resume from sleep about 50% of the time when I move the laptop while it is suspended--LEDs flash regularly, but I can't get any response, and it requires a hard reboot without proper shutdown.  I updated the BIOS last week, but that didn't change the frequency of crashes.

Any other suggestions?  If someone had any software-based or simple hardware-based idea, I might be willing to try it.  The Lenovo warranty hasn't been of any use.  Maybe I'll think about contructing something to make the battery sit more firmly in its slot.  If it's some other hardware issue, I'm less likely to try to fix it myself.

Here's the error again:

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 1/14/2012 2:20:45 PM
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (2)
User: SYSTEM
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
<EventID>41</EventID>
<Version>2</Version>
<Level>1</Level>
<Task>63</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-01-14T19:20:45.523208900Z" />
<EventRecordID>49375</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
 </System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="SleepInProgress">true</Data>
<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Punch Card
mtt1

[ Edited ]

Hi, I have the same problem. It happened the first time yesterday, three times in a row. It's happened once so far today.

Every time it has happened after carrying the laptop around, traveling to and from uni. (But it hasn't happened every time I carried the laptop around.) The weather here has become quite cold, I thought it might be something to do with that, but probably you are right and it is something to do with the battery moving.

It usually happened with LEDs flashing in the way you described, only just now they were only flashing once, then battery light on the lid and power button illumination stayed on, nothing else.

A friend of mine has experienced the same, also mentioning moving the laptop while in sleep mode, also carrying it through the cold.

What confuses me though is that it seems to be losing power only when you wake up the laptop, the sleep led is on alright before that. And actually I just checked and the battery is barely moving when fastening both latches, which I usually do.

I have no idea what to do, seeing as replacing the motherboard hasn't helped you at all.

Oh, and by the way, I'm using Linux, so it seems not to be a software problem.

Punch Card
mtt1

Hm, seems like this problem is not very common, or other people don't carry their X220 around or something. :smileywink:

Anyway, just a quick update. I'm still trying to figure what exactly causes this problem. Yesterday, after doing the commute after which my X220 has crashed every single time for three days in a row now, I plugged in the AC adapter before opening the lid. As before, the sleep led was on as it should be, the battery led now indicated that it was charging and it still could not resume from sleep. I don't know how or when this supposed loss of power connection is taking place.

I'll probably call Lenovo next week and try and explain the situation to them. But your experience, seriolavora, is not giving me a lot of hope for an easy fix. :smileysad:

Punch Card
seriolavore

[ Edited ]

Mtt1- Thanks for responding.  Your sympotoms sound to be exactly those I have... I haven't realized a temperature dependence, but I'll pay more attention.

And yes, this seems to occur either with or without the ac adapter plugged in.  I've resorted to switching the settings so that the computer goes to "hibernate" upon closing the lid, which works, I guess, but means I need to wait for the computer to boot up everytime I want to work.... kind of defeating the purpose of having an ultraportable labtop with ssd.

BIOS version: 1.26, which I updated January 9th.

Please keep me posted if you figure anything out.  I wish Lenovo would give us a hint on what's up, but I felt my experience with support was a waste of time.  If you give it a shot and have a different experience, please post.  I like the computer otherwise, but this issue is pretty frustrating.  It's like playing Russian roulette every time I move my laptop.