Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
tsid

Re: x220 does not resume from sleep

I have exactly the same problem with my X220.

I put it to sleep at work and when i open the lid at home the powerbutton + the other ones with leds flashes and the computer power cycles until i remove the battery.

After that it boots just fine again.

Really annoying problem i have to say...

Guru
x220forMe

Hi, seriolavore.
I had the same issue - not resuming from sleep - a half year ago. Presently there are no any problems. The only thing I did - reinstalled 3 apps. Delete PM driver, PM application, Hotkey features. And install them again in specified sequence.

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Russia flag Русскоязычное Сообщество   English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español
Paper Tape
etchow

I am another user with the same problem:  x220 does not resume from sleep, usually after moving it between home and office.  The problem is hard to reproduce consistently.  Here are some observations which haven't already been posted.  Maybe they will help.

1)  I usually put the laptop to sleep by closing the lid.  Now I have the lid closing set to do nothing, and I set the power button to put the laptop to sleep.  I haven't had any problems in the past week after doing this, but this could be just a coincidence.

2) I have a x220 tablet.  I once had the laptop in tablet mode (screen facing up) on a chair.  It may or may not have gone to sleep on its own (auto after 15 minutes).  I picked up the laptop and the screen very briefly flashed "snow" and then the power reset.  (This was the reason to make me think that the power connection through the lid might be an issue.)

3) I had consistent problems when I was visiting the northeast and carrying the laptop through the cold.  I live in Atlanta and maybe the warmer temperatures these days help (someone mentioned temperature dependence, and I find this to be believable).

4) I got my laptop in Nov 2011.  Maybe everyone currently having this problem got machines at about the same time?

I'll try to consistently note the conditions when the problem happens to try to make it possible to reproduce the problem.  Then we would have a stronger case to bring to Lenovo.

Punch Card
tommyxv

I had the same problem too, but once I fixed the 50hz screen refresh rate bug I have not had the problem since.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/lenovo-ibm/602582-x220-t420s-guide-get-rid-50-hz-when-running-batter...

Hope that helps.

Punch Card
mtt1

Hi everyone,

I'm glad I'm not alone and that this thread gained some momentum again. What makes this problem interesting is that it seems to happen across a lot of different configurations (i5/i7, Windows/Linux)

Is anyone with this problem using a HDD? I'm on a Samsung 830 SSD, my friend is using an Intel 320 and has the same problem.

seriolavore wrote:

I've resorted to switching the settings so that the computer goes to "hibernate" upon closing the lid, which works, I guess, but means I need to wait for the computer to boot up everytime I want to work.... kind of defeating the purpose of having an ultraportable labtop with ssd.

Since I'm using a SSD without swap space under Linux hibernating is not an option. I've reverted to turning the computer off in the mean time. As you said, not quite the way I'd like to use my ultraportable.

seriolavore wrote:

BIOS version: 1.26, which I updated January 9th.

I'm still on 1.25, but I'll update when I find the time. But I don't have much hope. I'll try and see if updating the SSD firmware has any effects.

x220forMe wrote:

I had the same issue - not resuming from sleep - a half year ago. Presently there are no any problems. The only thing I did - reinstalled 3 apps. Delete PM driver, PM application, Hotkey features. And install them again in specified sequence.

tommyxv wrote:

I had the same problem too, but once I fixed the 50hz screen refresh rate bug I have not had the problem since.

This is interesting, but I still think this problem is not software-related, since I'm using Linux and I have exactly the same problem (just as a friend of mine).

etchow wrote:

1)  I usually put the laptop to sleep by closing the lid.  Now I have the lid closing set to do nothing, and I set the power button to put the laptop to sleep.  I haven't had any problems in the past week after doing this, but this could be just a coincidence.

I think it is. I've always been using FN+F4, closing the lid does nothing for me, and I still have the problem.

etchow wrote:

3) I had consistent problems when I was visiting the northeast and carrying the laptop through the cold.  I live in Atlanta and maybe the warmer temperatures these days help (someone mentioned temperature dependence, and I find this to be believable).

The first couple of times I experienced this problem it was always after carrying the laptop through the cold (in a sleeve in a backpack though), but the last time it crashed was after carrying it 50 metres through the library, so no cold weather or anything that could have impacted the well-being of the laptop. I don't know what to make of that.

etchow wrote:

4) I got my laptop in Nov 2011.  Maybe everyone currently having this problem got machines at about the same time?

I bought mine in December, but it says on the box that it was manufactured in October.

I very much hope we find a solution soon. Another thing I've noticed (but I don't know if it is related and I'll post in another topic as well when I've done more testing) is that the blue USB 3.0 port on the left of the laptop stopped working after resuming from sleep.

Punch Card
seriolavore

Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions regarding this issue.  It's somewhat reassuring to know that it's not just my computer.

Last night I implemented x220forme's suggestion regarding the power management and hotkey features..  No crashes today, but it's much too early to say the issue is resolved... mtt1's experience with the issue on a Linux machine, though, doesn't give me all that much hope.  I'll post back here again with an update in a week (or sooner if crashes resume).  I plan to try tommyxv's method after the current attempt fails, unless I see some other, more pursuasive explanation.  In the meantime, keep the suggestions coming!

Regarding the date of purchase, my machine was shipped in August of 2011.  I think given the model's relatively recent release, it will be hard to say whether or not it's a particular batch that's bad.  I'd guess that all of us received them in the last 6 months.

Paper Tape
lala

Hi All

i have x220 purchased nov 2011 and experiencing similar problems - computer does not resume from sleep. I have  removed batteries, and re-started computer, but nothing is happennig - screen is blank - only Power button is on. can you pls advise what else i can do to make computer to respond

thank you very much

Punch Card
seriolavore

Unfortunately, I have an update.

I did not make it through Day Two without the issue occurring.  Same symptoms (no resume from sleep with flashing LEDs); same critical Kernel-Power error.  So x220forMe's suggestion did not work for me.

If anyone has had any help from Lenovo, please post!

>> lala - If your issue is the same as mine, you just need to hold the power button for about 5 seconds to tunr the computer off... then wait about 20 seconds, and attempt to restart.

What's DOS?
swartzcr

I am having the same problem, every time I close my computer and move anywhere when I open it again it refuses to turn on. This is happening afaik 100% of the time. Two peculiarities about it that I haven't seen mentioned are: a) Because it doesn't turn on when it should it seems to trigger both times it basses the 'computer open switch'. That is it tries to power on both when I open the case _and_ when I close it. b) when it is open and powering on, you can hear the HDD spin up, click and then spin up again. When it spins up is when all of the lights (capslock, keyboard, etc...) turn on. Since the Hard Drive seems to have no problems, I suspect this is a BIOS issue. The hard drive keeps spinning up and clicking until you shut it off (the 7 second cycle mentioned in the original post) This is happening on my x220 that is running Ubuntu 11.10 Oneric, and the Hardware stats can be found at catplanet.cat/hardware Hope someone finds a solution for this before I throw my computer at the wall in frustration. -Noah
Punch Card
seriolavore

Uggh.  I updated the SSD firmware... even though swartzcr's comment above revealed that this isn't an issue specific to SSDs.  Updating the SSD firmware DID NOT help the issue.

Swartzcr... thanks anyway for the clues.  Clues help.... but an answer from Lenovo would help more.