Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
ku1185

Re: x220 does not resume from sleep

Hey everyone. I just thought that I'd mention that I found a recent BIOS update from Lenovo's System Update Utility. In the release notes, it purports to have fixed the bug that caused the computer to stall upon resuming from sleep or hibernation. I haven't tested it long enough to see if this fixed the issue, but maybe Lenovo fixed the issues discussed in this thread.

Punch Card
seriolavore

Thanks ku1185.  A BIOS update that came out about a month ago (version 1.26) did not fix the failure to resume issue on my machine.

If you have a different experience or see a more recent update than 1.26, please let us know.

Just to update my status: I did receive the empty box to ship my computer back to support after contacting IBM.  But I haven't sent it off because I can't really be without a laptop for a few days straight and they haven't told me that they can repair the issue... so I think I just need to wait for a while until we have more information or try to find a suitable loaner laptop.

Punch Card
seriolavore

Re: x220 does not resume from sleep OR HIBERNATE

[ Edited ]

Bad news.  I've encountered the error (once) now when resuming from "hibernate"... not only "sleep."  I hope it's a fluke.  Going into hibernate rather than sleep was a painful workaround... but if the machine won't even turn on from a cold start without error, then this thing is pretty much dead.

Punch Card
mtt1

seriolavore wrote:

Bad news.  I've encountered the error (once) now when resuming from "hibernate"... not only "sleep."

When did the computer crash then? Did it go to the usual "flashy cycle" just after you powered it on, so before loading the saved hibernation image or during that?

For me everything has been fine over the last couple of days.

Only interesting thing is, I updated to BIOS 1.26 earlier today and then took my X220 for a 20 minute walk through the freezing cold. It resumed fine. Once again, it could just as well be a coincidence. I'll keep you updated when (I have a feeling it's a "when", not "if") the next crash happens .

Punch Card
seriolavore

[ Edited ]

No "flash cycle" on that boot from hibernate; just straight to the "do you want to start in safe mode" screen, so I'm not sure this wasn't a separate issue.  The error recorded in the Event Viewer was the same as I've noted above, with a time stamp for the time of start-up.

Thanks for the update.  Keep me posted on progress.  Every few days I get too annoyed with the boot up from hibernate and decidide to switch back to sleep mode in hopes that the error somehow has disappeared... But I can't get through a full day without a crash, so I get annoyed again and switch back to hibernate mode.

EDIT: I noticed that a new "power manager" was just released a few days ago (so version 3.66 from my current 3.65).  I suppose it's possible that the power manager is related to this issue, so I'm going to update now and report back with any changes in these sympotoms.

Punch Card
seriolavore

New version of "Power Manager" did not solve any issues.  The crash and the flash cycle continues.

What's DOS?
Mountee

Hi,

My x220 always crashs (windows 7 64bit blue screen) if I close the lid and it's set to sleep on lid close.  Great laptop otherwise, such a silly problem but have all the latest lenovo drivers, at it's the same...

What's DOS?
GORRACK

Got the same issue, and I'm using Windows 7 64-bit, Intel 310 SSD, 9cell battery.

So is it a problem with having a SSD? or is it a software issue? (I've updated Lenovo software)

Since I use the sleep function multiple times a day as I travel between meetings, it crashes almost daily for me.

If I switch to hibernation won't it kill my SSD drive?

Hopefully this can be resolved soon.

Punch Card
mtt1

[ Edited ]

etchow wrote:

I got my laptop in Nov 2011.  Maybe everyone currently having this problem got machines at about the same time?

After discussions going on here and here I'm coming back to echow's comment above.

Seems like a lot of machines (at least of the people who speak up online, very small sample, yes, I know) with serial numbers R9-Hxxx are affected with issues, at least as mentioned in the thread about motherboard failures.

I'm wondering now if we are experiencing a related issue (speculating, if you will). I for one have a X220 manufactured in October 2011, serial number R9-Hxxx. What about the others?

Punch Card
seriolavore

My machine was purchased in August 2011; serial number R9-Fxxxx.

My motherboard was replaced (without fixing this issue) in December 2011.