Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
Elkafi

Re: x220 does not resume from sleep

Same problem here...

Bought x220 tablet in November 2011.

After about a month I called them and they sent a technician who replaced the motherboard...and suggested replacing the battery which was done...

This did not help, few weeks after the same issue happended then again they replaced the motherboard (and also had

to replace the monitor... because some IBM technician has damaged the wires that connect to it...)

Here are some more details (hopefully these would help Lenovo engineers and some volunteers in this forum figure out the problem...)

- this problem (comoputer not coming back to life after a sleep) happens when the battery charge is very low ..

- if I remove the battery and put it on power it wakes up...

- for few occasions, I keep the battery on and then just stay paitenly waiitng for the computer to wake up and it finally comes to life on its own...

The problem tend to happen for me especially when the laptop is put on a base (and connected ot an external monitor)....

This problem is messing up my experience with Lenovvo tablets and likely I will not buy from Lenovo again...

In my case they lost so much money that they could have easily sent to me two new laptops and it would still cost them less...

Paper Tape
Ursedo

Updated the BIOS to 1.28 and for 2-3 days it seemed that the issue was solved, but then it came back and the laptop behaves like before the update.

I think i have to call lenovo for a motherboard replacement, although it seems for other user that this will also not solve the  issue for good.

Punch Card
seriolavore

Ursedo-- yes, I think that result is typical:  BIOS are updated, you cross your fingers, and just when you think the issue is gone, it comes back.

I have to report that it's been almost two weeks for me without one of these crashes.  I know that by posting this, I am gauranteeing that the machine will crash this afternoon... but so far so good after the last BIOS update.

Punch Card
seriolavore

[ Edited ]

I CANNOTE BELIEVE IT!!!  I cursed myself.  Like clockwork, my computer crashed this afternoon as predicted above.  First crash since the last BIOS update (more than two weeks ago).

Same error listed as before:

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 3/28/2012 2:34:23 AM
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-03-28T06:34:23.615210800Z" />
<Data Name="SleepInProgress">true</Data>

Paper Tape
AP27

I have been experiencing the boot-loop issue as well on my X220 and am testing a workaround.

From what I've noticed, sometimes when you try to resume from sleep, the lights come on for a second and then shut off. And then the laptop seems to power on and off every 3-7 seconds.

Here is what works for me:

Always sleep/resume while running on battery. If your X220 is plugged into the wall or docking station, first undock/unplug it, let the power management changes (ie. Screen brightness lowering etc) kick in by waiting for 2-3 seconds, and then press the sleep button/close the lid.

Similarly, when resuming from sleep, DO NOT plug the laptop into the wall or docking station. First resume the laptop from battery power, and once you see the windows desktop/logon screen, plug it into the wall or docking station.

I sleep/resume my X220 everyday as I move between classes/home. Following the above hasn't given me a single boot loop. I am not sure if it will work for everyone else, but it is worth a try :smileyhappy:

Retired Employee
NINE

Hi all,

Sorry for the intrusion, was checking through the forum and landed on your thread. I too am using an X220, but i must admit am not facing the same issues are you guys are. ased from what i've read so far @ first i thought i may be the effect of hardware, particlaurly focusing on the motherboard, but it appears that "seriolavore" has sent his machine into service and they had replaced the mother so that eliminates my suspicion.  

There are many factors that crosses my mind but none that explains the "Not resuming from Sleep". I'd like to dive into this further with the support groups here in lenovo to find out more and hopefully i can try to replicate the issues.

Could you possibly PM the details : Details i need are : -

• First and Last Name
• Contact Phone Number
• Email Address
• Mailing Address
• Country of customers resided
• Case Number (provided by service centre)
• Date of Purchase (optional)

• Machine Family (e.g. T61)
• Machine Type Model (e.g. 7660-14A)
• Machine Serial Number (e.g. L3-234A)
• Bios version
• Chipset model and driver version
• RAM (e.g. 2GB DDR3)
• OS (e.g. Win 7 64-bit Ultimate)
• Steps taken prior to a reported issue (for an example software or hardware installed)
• Driver list and version of components (depends on issue discussed)
• Customers country of residence
• Location of goods purchased (optional)

If they could be provided this would be really helpful. I'll do my best to check with the teams.

Thanks guys,

Warm regards,

Nine

Retired Employee
NINE

Hi all,

Sorry foe the late reply. I've spoken to the relevant team in regards to your case where by the system is not able to wake from sleep.. They just informed me today thatat there is a New Bios v 1.29/1.20 that has been released. Could you guys try to update the bios and do let me know of the affects. I'd like to see all the possibilities that could be found for this issue.

Dole me know :smileyhappy:

Regards

Retired Employee
NINE

Just to add to the post above, here is the link to download the new bios.

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS018805

Do let me know guys :-)

What's DOS?
Hannelujah

I have the same issue, it has happened several times but always when in a docking station.

Paper Tape
loamhedge80

Running the new BIOS v1.29 here, just encountered the boot loop again. It occurred when the machine was awoken from sleep; this time, the machine was plugged in the entire time. In the past, I've had the boot loop both plugged in and on battery, and switching between the two.

Does anyone have any new information about this? I'm going to try to send my machine in for repair in the near future.