Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
habamax

Re: x220 does not resume from sleep

garygolden wrote:
What's kernel version you run on Ubuntu?
Also, what's pm-utils version?
It is just ubuntu 12.04. With its standard kernel (3.2.0-24-generic).
I don't know how to check pm-utils version.

Paper Tape
garygolden

@habamax

You can run:
aptitude show pm-utils | grep Version

I hope updating pm-utils to your version would resolve the problem for me as well :smileyhappy:
I'm on Debian stable
Paper Tape
habamax

Ubuntu has no aptitude by default. Let me check with apt...

Version: 1.4.1-9
Paper Tape
tejrl

[ Edited ]

Hi. New poster, but long-time reader (of this thread). My laptop has had problems resuming from sleep for about 4 months now. It's now at the point where it doesn't resume from sleep and windows has to restart EVERY single time.

I've tried re-installing windows, windows updates, all of lenovo's updates --> same problem

I purchased a SSD and did the same thing above --> same problem

I tried fidgeting with RAM (re-installing 4GB stock as opposed to my 8GB Crucial) --> same problem

It seems like none of you have been able to solve this problem, even with a motherboard upgrade, which is awful. I'm beginning to despise coming home and using my X220. :smileysad:

FYI, serial number: R9-E...purchased June 2011.

I called Lenovo tech support and they said to mail it in to replace the motherboard. What's the point when none of you had the problem rectified that way? I guess it's my only option.

Paper Tape
Elkafi

I think it is about time that Lenovo acknowledges that this is a serious and annoying problem and get their engineers working on it. Everytime I raise the issue I am asked to upgrade the bios and system... etc... but isn't the system set to automatically update these things anyways... Too me to looks like lenovo tried to put a lot of goodies in this tablet and they did not test it enough to make sure it is robust as we were used to IBM's engineering.

Paper Tape
tejrl

I'm going to escalate this within Lenovo's executive team and forward them to this thread. It's unacceptable how many are raising this issue with very little being done.

Fanfold Paper
sakowitzm

FYI -- it's been three weeks since Lenovo support promised to replace my motherboard in an attempt to solve this problem.  I have not heard anything from them.  Will check soon on status.

Paper Tape
garygolden

I'm going to state that upgrading pm-utils doesn't solve the problem.

Furthermore, I had two shutdowns in WORKING state.

That's it, laptop was on and suddenly power off.

OS doesn't now anything about it. Log entries was even interrupted and written partially.

This is obviously a hardware issue.

Punch Card
seriolavore

It's been months since I've notd an update... partly because I did not want to jinx myself by stating that the failure to resume from sleep has become less frequent, and partly because the less frequent failures are less infuriating.

But after another crash today, I decided that a jinx couldn't really hurt.  For some reason, the crashes are much less frequent, but they do occur.  Why? Who knows.  If anyone has had success with a motherboard replacement, please post.  Given the hot temperatures, I think we can put the old cold-weather theory to rest (but what about rapid changes in temperature leading to condensation inside the machine somewhere?).

All for now.

OP

Paper Tape
Elkafi

Can't Lenovo people arrange for a remote access to the machines and try to reproduce the issue and see if they can figure out what is happening?

In my case, it has been difficult for me to pin point any one reason... the behavior (not coming from sleep) seems to be quite erratic, but this is what I think may be factors that contribute to it:

- using the base (docking station) and this brings in the issue of what is connected to the base (in my case I have an external monitor, a d-link switch, a 5-port workgroup, a printer, a keyboard and a mouse). I also tend to not always leave the power cord attached (so as not to damage the battery). The problem of not recovering from a sleep does occur whether or not the tablet connected to the power.

- I am deactivating the touch pad and touch screen features (using the track point instead) and somehow when ultimately the tablet wakes it wakes up with those de-activations removed .

- I lift the tablet cover and wait for a long time (10 minutes?) then suddenly it starts up again (I am thinking that is trying to wake up but somehow the text is not showing up on the monitor... by the way at first an IBM service person thought there is a problem with the monitor, I guess because I told him so heheh, and decided to replace it and I believe that was unnecessary...).

Just my two cents hoping this may spark some idea in somebody's brain and come up with a solution or at least an explanation...