Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
tsid

Re: x220 does not resume from sleep

[ Edited ]

So it happened again after reinstalling PM drivers and the rest as suggested here earlier.

Today i went to the gym after work and had my laptop in the car for 1½ hour in -20C temperature.

I came home and opened the lid and noticed that it had crashed again, 5s powerbutton pressed and it started again.

I wonder if this is a battery issue after all, I started considering buying a higher capacity battery and see if it does the same with that one too.

Edit: I have tried both the 320gb HDD and a 128gb SSD so the harddrive is out of the equation.

Punch Card
seriolavore

[ Edited ]

Thanks, tsid.  I didn't find any help in the updates noted above, either.

Personally, I can't say that this is temperature dependent, as my computer has had the same unfortunate sympotoms in both warm and cold climates; though I'm not ready to rule out the possibility.

I think that the primary factor may be the degree of movement rather than the outside temperature.  For instance, I can get away with closing the lid and gently carrying the computer to another room; but it's rare that I can close the lid, put the computer in a carrying case, and then get in the car and go home without encountering an error when I open the lid.  Of course, this time of year, more rigorous travel usually coincides with cold, outdoor temperatures.  (I no longer live in San Diego, by the way.)

Were it not for mtt1's comment above, I'd start wrapping my computer in blankets to solve the issue.  Because it has been noted with inddor and outdoor travel, I tend to think it's the movement, not the temps.  But maybe I'll change my mind if this problem dissappears in summer!

Edit:  If you do try changing the battery, let us know how it goes!

What's DOS?
swartzcr

temp is irrelevant as far as I can tell, in fact i was having improved performance when my computer was ice cold.

Seriolavore, I agree an answer from Lenovo is what we need, I'm surprised that a mod hasn't stepped in and commented

Paper Tape
jankiel

I am an othe user facing the same Problems.

I do not shut down Windows - instead I use the Feature "Energie sparen" safe Energy. When I try to boot the System after a while it does not boot but hangs in a loop (makes a sound, keyboard led goes on and off, hdd starts running).

I updated the ThinkPad Power Management driver for Windows 7 - but it did not help.

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.p​age?LegacyDocID=MIGR-4GXPEG

I made a video which shows the boot loop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrstGIFkOQA

Punch Card
mtt1

[ Edited ]

Hi everyone,

I have an update, which unfortunately is not really an update.

I've become very wary about transporting my laptop in sleep mode. I can't imagine these constant hard resets being good for any part of the computer (especially the SSD), so I have used sleep mode only when the X220 was firmly resting on a desk (with a few exceptions).

I've tried some things, however. In terms of temp vs. movement: After updating the SSD firmware I picked up the laptop and "shook" it slightly. It resumed fine. Obviously I wasn't exactly rough on it, but still. On the other hand, this morning I took the risk and carried the laptop in sleep mode to the library. Today was one of the coldest days over the last weeks. The computer resumed just as fine. I didn't give it a warm-up period or anything.

In fact I haven't had a crash since the SSD firmware update, but I doubt the issue is solved for me (seeing how many different setups are affected). As mentioned above I have been very careful over the last couple of days.

swartzcr wrote:
when it is open and powering on, you can hear the HDD spin up, click and then spin up again. [...] The hard drive keeps spinning up and clicking until you shut it off

The last time my X220 crashed I noticed something similar, obviously no clicking or spinning with the SSD, but the disk access led was flashing before starting the crash cycle. I wonder what this means for our theory of interrupted power connection. (Also keeping in mind that it also crashes when trying to resume with plugged in power adapter.) So is there a loss of power connection that only becomes effective when you try resuming? How would that work?

Maybe you could "un-solve" this topic, seriolavore, so someone from Lenovo might be more intrigued?

Punch Card
seriolavore

[ Edited ]

Hi all, Thanks for the updates.

Jankiel, thanks for the video!  Yes, that cycle of the flashing night light and keyboard/power button leds is exactly the cycle I was trying to describe in the original post.

Mtt1, let us know if the error comes back after the firmware update.  I'd be interested in hearing if it still works after several days.  It didn't work for me... but because I'm desparate, I'd be willing to try updating again if you report that it worked.  But then again, since this has been noted with a variety of hard drive configurations (SSD and normal HDD), I guess I shouldn't get my hopes up.

I would "de-solve" this thread if I could.  Can a moderator step in and do that for us?  I tried to make that point clear by editing the original post, but no mods have stepped in to do so.  MOD --> Please de-solve this issue for me!

So yep, I don't know what our options are.  I've tried to consider what Lenovo is thinking.  Either:

A) They remain totally unaware of the issue (which would look pretty bad on their part).

B) They are aware of the issue, working on it, but don't yet know the cause (which would look bad, but at least they could let us know).

C) They have a solution, but don't have the parts on hand yet to fix it (which would also be bad, but again... they should tell us, and then at least we would have hope).

D) They have a solution, have put it in the next BIOS update, and they just need us to be patient (which would be great, but they should still let us know so that we stop worrying and making such a fuss on here).

E) They know what's up, they have a fix, but they are waiting for our warranties to expire before they tell us that the solution requires an expensive repair for us all (which would be immoral).

I don't know where Lenovo is on the above spectrum.

I also don't know how to proceed.  I update drivers on my system regularly.  I called support and sent my machine to the depot, and it was returned with the same issue.  I submitted a ticket on the IBM ESC+ site, and I received no response.  I started this thread, which has at least helped me realize that I don't have a rare error; but it hasn't given us any feedback from Lenovo.  As we know, this isn't an official avenue to receive support.  And I don't think Lenovo employees have an obligation to reply to these posts, but it sure would be nice to know what they're thinking.  I feel like I've exhausted the official support options, so this thread is the best thing going in hopes of learning how to get a working x220.

What's DOS?
swartzcr

out of curiosity do any of you have SD cards in the SD port on the right side of the machine?
Punch Card
seriolavore

Swartzcr-- No, I've used the SD card port, but rarely.  It's typically empty.

Token Ring
Rumle

I realize I have this problem to... Just posting to make a note, kinda to show we are more with this problem.

No SD card in reader.

Last time it happened I had power cable in, took it off and then no weak from sleep. Battery is at max.

What's DOS?
ku1185

Just wanted to post in this thread to hopefully get Lenovo to notice the issue. This issue has only happened to me twice thus far: once about a week ago and just now.