Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
mtt1

Re: x220 does not resume from sleep

seriolavore wrote:

My machine was purchased in August 2011; serial number R9-Fxxxx.

My motherboard was replaced (without fixing this issue) in December 2011.

Ha, already broke my theory. :smileywink:

I'm thinking of calling Lenovo myself to see what they can offer me (when I can afford being without the computer for a couple of days).

Have you tried getting a complete replacement unit and not just a motherboard replacement?

Paper Tape
jankiel

purchased in december 2011

SN R9-KBxxx

Punch Card
seriolavore

mtt1 wrote:

Have you tried getting a complete replacement unit and not just a motherboard replacement?

I haven't tried to request a replacement machine.  Is there precedent for that?  Obviously, in some cases, there should be (e.g., here, where they don't seem to be capable of identifying the source of the error).

Punch Card
mtt1

seriolavore wrote:

I haven't tried to request a replacement machine.  Is there precedent for that?  Obviously, in some cases, there should be (e.g., here, where they don't seem to be capable of identifying the source of the error).

Someone has mentioned that he has been offered a replacement here.

Obviously it was not about the sleep issue, but still. It was about the motherboard failures I have been talking about earlier. But since Lenovo's respond seems to be the same with both issues (replace the motherboard), there might be a tiny chance for us as well.

(Their specific handling of this one situation might well be due to something else (their running out of replacement motherboards, the resulting long waits and so on). But seeing as a motherboard replacement does not seem to be a solution for the sleep issue, what else is left for us?)

Paper Tape
levsb

Just to add that I've experienced this problem also, once so far, a week ago. Hopefully it was only a one-off for me.

What's DOS?
lightnin

I've just experienced my first boot loop, x220 4287 purchased last November. I'm running Ubuntu 11.10. It happened after inserting a sleeping machine into my dock, and opening the lid. When I returned from getting a cup of tea, it was rebooting and flashing its LED light. Had to pull the battery. 

Paper Tape
Ursedo

Unfortunately i have the same problem and up until i found this thread, i always believed it was caused by ubuntu 11.10, but it seems that the issue is independent of the OS.

Is there a way to find out if lenovo is aware of the problem and working on a solution, because it really is annoying to always shutdown my x220 when i'm travelling

Punch Card
Zerius

I have the same issue, luckily I use a POST password, so when it hangs I completely shut down by holding the power button and when it reboots the second time it shows me the post screen. 

However, this only happens to me when I turn on the laptop from the dock. If i power it up normally it is fine, but if I power it on after I have connected it to the dock, it won't show me the post screen. The backlight turns on but nothing happens. 

Punch Card
seriolavore

BIOS were updated recently to version 1.28.  I'll report back if this influences the sympotoms at all.

It seems, though, that there's some convergence toward the idea that this is a motherboard issue, coupled with poor avaialbaility of replacement motherboards?  Do you all get the same impression?  Maybe in my case, my bad motherboard was replaced with another bad motherboard before they had identified what it was that distinguished 'good' and 'bad' montherboards.

Punch Card
mtt1

[ Edited ]

Yes, at least one issue has been identified with faulty motherboards. See Mark's statement below. I have no idea, though, if our issue is related to that one. I'd be interested to see Lenovo's response. And to hear of other's experiences with recently replaced motherboards.

My own X220 has been surprisingly stable for the last couple of weeks and I need it every day, so I haven't contacted them yet.

Mark_Lenovo wrote:

"Lenovo has identified an issue which affects a portion of Think and Idea systems that were manufactured between September and December 2011. The issue manifests as early life failures of the EEPROM chip and results in the system failing to power on or boot up. Not all of the systems manufactured during this period of time are affected.  This is an industry component issue and is not limited to Lenovo.

The solution is to replace the system board, Lenovo has been working through an unanticipated increase in demand for system boards and some repair times have been longer than desired. Lenovo's parts logistics teams have worked closely with suppliers to accelerate availability of replacement boards and service part stocks have been updated with the latest level parts.

Service times are beginning to recover. Where possible, Lenovo is proactively escalating aged customer repairs to ensure resolution as quickly as possible.  We apologize for any inconvenience these delays may have caused."

(From here.)