Support in other languages: 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
replax
Accepted Solution

x220 mSata SSD OCZ Nocti Win7 Install fails

Hello guys,

today, I installed a new OCZ Nocti 60GB SSD into my x220's msata slot. parallel, i got a hitachi 320gb 7200rpm stock lenovo drive running.

the ssd is being perfectly recognised by the bios. i use verison 1.22.

now, I want to install win7 on my ssd, which was previously installed on my hdd.

I put my win7 copy on a usb thumb drive, boot it up, select install windows.

However, upon reaching the "Select the driver to be installed." screen, I get an error thrown at me:

"A required CD/DVD drive decive driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now."

I do not have any driver concerning my hd/ssd and the ocz website states that a) none is needed and b) that none is provided.

I tried to install without having the hd attached aswell, same error.

Do any of you guys have any ideas on how to possibly solve the problem?

Cheers!

Punch Card
NekoKoneko

Re: x220 mSata SSD OCZ Nocti Win7 Install fails

[ Edited ]

Is the thumb drive plugged into the USB 3.0 port?

I had the same problem on the other notebook when the USB drive was plugged into the USB 3.0 port. Inserting it into the USB 2.0 port solved the problem.

Token Ring
orion9727

for one i not use that ssd in a laptop.
thats a sandforce horible for laptop.
you should use one of the intel ready boot models way better power profile.
plus sandforce dise it different not good for laptop.

is this a clone?
you made or a copy of win 7 made with the windows 7 usb tool.

you have to use a 4 gig model very important or the bios wont boot a larger size usb.
smaller wont hold win7.
you have to convert a iso then make the usb key bootable and not had charged the file system on the key.
i use a special key just for win 7 install only.

in the bios you can select the usb as first or 2nd boot order.
2nd then you have to press the boot order menu to select a boot device.
you not on port 0 thats ur platter right so you need to select first boot to be the usb in that menu.
also make sure that in the bios the port 0 platter drive is not ist order and the msata gets moved up in line.

some easy ways could be pull the 2.5 and then it auto select.
you have to tell the pc what you doing.
you doning a out of order thing and that is not going to port 0 but a new port for the drive.

if you select usb in the bios first order when you reboot on the install it will reinstall in a loop that why tyou dont select it first but use the menu screen. F9 or something depoends on the pc maker.
if you do get in a loop pull the key cause the image is allready there so next reboot windows will default to the disk image and finish the install.

i know a lot of info here but win 7 can be easy to install or hard depends if you have it down pat.
i done over 100 installs so i know every in and out and even i forget to do something time to time.

so again check this is a good image on the key done the proper way proper size and it fully bootable (huge deal -bootable)).
select the msata as the new ist boot or 2nd as rom is foirst for most.
the old drive is 2nd.
you F promt to select the usb key as the new boot device.
have nothing else pluged in and dont use the combo port however i did lol it worked or sata 3 port.

ALSO -this is a big deal make sure the usb you pick is a boot order device that means power right away.
normally it be the lone usb on most notebooks.
some wont power up untill fully booted and that means no power when first reboot.
commen problem on notebooks when we did the windows beta off the usb key.
some notebook only keep one usb alive on first power on.

watch the thumb light it will show if that a non booting port.
Token Ring
orion9727

probley that usb 3 port is a non booting port.
that be a problem if you ever want to boot from a usb 3 back up drive with windows on it.

remeber usb keys are by nature not bootable.you have to make them bootable.
go to how to use the windows 7 tool page it will list all the things you need to do.
also HP makes a tool to make a usb key bootable -i do this when i want to drag and drop from a rom on a key.

iso require the win 7 tool.
non iso require you get a iso maker and convert to iso.

those of you wanting to do the win 8 beta and never done a beta will have to learn how to do these things.

or make a win 7 install key or a back up drive fully bootable with a a os on it.

data disks are read and write there NOT bootable by nature.
Ctrl-Alt-Del
replax

hey guys!

thanks for all for your advice, in the end it worked. i just had to pull the usb stick when the error displayed and then stick it right back in, in another usb port though!

orion9727 - why exactly do you believe that sandforce controllers are infirior in notebooks?

i would love to know more about that! is it just the power consumption (and if yes, about how significant is the difference?) or is it also concerning the performance or simply the reliability?

thank you for your time!!

Token Ring
orion9727

well the sandforce is a power hog.
in the sand 2 sata 3 it use close to 5v at load and 1.5-2v idle.
thats alot more then a platter and platter can stop and sleep.
ssd have no advanced power scheme as there new and they sure dont like chipset mode ones.

sand1 uses alittle less.

now look at a M4 that use less then 1volt active and hundereads idle.
we talking here a difference of 4v or more and probley 2 v active cause some ssd go so low there not even a tenth but a hundreath of volt.
huge difference.
sandforce uses so power because it converts data to compressed data files.
that way it can move them around faster.
it a neat trick.
you know no other drive dose this.
outside of the box thinking but the problem is this uses more power.
alot more power.
the other thing is the uncompressed data on a say a intel drive get read fast but on a sand there a wait to compress it.
that means longer time and more power too.

it ok in servers because server dont use notebook drives they use very hot 10,000 or 15,000 k sas drives that eat juice like no tomorrow and you need 4 to 8 of them to equal one ssd.

so in the server farm it a huge power saving going to sandforce,
companys can save hundreads of thousand of dollers in elec bllls when the factor in the heat and cooling plus the power they use.

so for the enterprize market sandforce is great.
for the desktop it kinda mixed bag.
for a laptop it pure murder.

you have windows running looking for small files random like order that how windows acts mostly and for a normal ssd it ok.
but for sandforce it loose because sandforce gets it speed from compressed files and large file moves.
plus there the power use.

sandforces been know to be worse then the drive that came in ur laptop power wise.
so you think you sabe on battery life when you loose.
alot of review sites dont make metion of this but laptops sites do.

plus there the whole ocz thing.
ocz dont have the best name.
firist it was the whole rebate scam.
then the revo drives that people paid huge money for that no mobo would surport.
then there the 10 drives in every class they make that confuse everyone.
the nonstop firms that dont get tested well then bricks drives.
the way the firm are done too.
ocz instead of fixing these problems they go and bash anand after a bad review.
then wont allow anyone to discus other brands or anything to do with sandforce that unrealeted to a ocz product.
they have also had quailty control issues mostly pushing too many drives because they make the same drive with 5 different names,,,,lol how dumb is that at 5 different prices.

say the word ocz in the notebook forum and they blast you...lol.
it pretty hard to screw up a sandforce drive alot of ssd makers use sandforce and have few issues uhowever ocz drags sandforces name right threw the mud and it mostly because they do very dumb things from a company that should know better.

the rebate thing that with there ram too and power as well and for many years and yet they still do it.
the farm out the rebates to another company that will deny you the rebate because it in there best intreast to do so.

sill wanna use ocz.
Guru
HiVolt

I dunno what you're talking about sandforce being a hog.

I have a vertex2 (sata2) in my x220 and It sips battery, i can easily get 5-6 hours out of it with moderate use and brightness at 8-10.
---------------------
| X220 i7-2620M | 12.5" IPS | Intel 520 Series 180GB Main SSD | Mushkin 120GB mSATA SSD | 8GB RAM | Intel 6205 WiFi | BT | Win7 Pro 64 SP1 |
Token Ring
orion9727

i only post data thats well known.
i cant comment on laptops that sip juice from a user experence.
thats a user experence.
i have a sandforce so i know all about them and i have many barefoot models i got for doing consulting.
i left that when sandforce came out because i knew sandforce pretty much put indilnex to bed.

sandforce is not a great ssd for laptop due to it power use.
this is well known and well discussed in every notebook forum.
just because someone says it sips dont make it a fact.

how your laptop run time will go is 100% up to use.
what programs you use the cpu use the brightness flash so on will make vast differences pc to pc.

as a rule the cpu is the greastest use of power in a laptop.
behind that is the gpu.
depending on your graphic options because discrete graphics make a huge difference here.
brightness is the next as the lcd tends to be a huge use of energy.
after that it is the mobo ram etc and whats on that mobo.
for some it can be the wireless use but depends on who made that and it use.
the hard drive is a low level order normally because most laptop hard drives are a super low power energy use item.
the new 2.5 platters are really good at going to sleep even throw they do use alot of power they are a very mature product and have special features to make then use more or less power and noise.
this feature is present threw smart and you can even change it.

ssd dont have power save modes that platters do because they are not mature yet they do however have os level power saving modes.
SSD HATE THIS.
it a huge drop off in performance most of all in sandforce.
google series 3,4,5 chipset sdd performace.
sandforce the way it design in the vertex 2 must run at full power or it wont run right at sata 2 levels.
it will eat a huge amout of power that no different then a platter drive when it on and futher more a platter can sleep with no effects to it performance after.
ssd cant do this.
they run horible after a wake.

hivolt the vertex you have in your x220 if you benchmark it i can promise you that it running at sata 1 speeds because you dont know how to run a vertex 2 on a x220 without negitive effects.

benchmark it and your see.
this is a known fact that ssd are vastly different then platters in that regaurd.

i hate to rain on peoples parade because when they find out this little info say like in the notebook forums they run off to the ocz forum screaming that we said this or that and here the snap of there bench where is my money worth.

they will tell you that laptops are not best canidate for ssd.
thats there offical line over there.
i know alot about ssd because i worked with a company in china on there product at the time i wanted a foot in the door into robots there and i thought they were a way in.
they made the worlds fastest barefoot model ever by the way but had no market in the west.
zero.
could not get there foot in the door so it was a perfict marrige really.
i wont say more but i can tell you i tested alot of ssd and i know all about sandforce.

so i not telling you this because i work for samsung now or that i have stock in marvel or that i have short sold ocz.
i am telling you that in a notebook a sandforce will act very different.
it not because i think it sucks or what not it because the way it was designed was for a different kind of market.
if they can sell there chips to ocz there sure as hell going to do that.
there were a venture capital so they all about a quick buck 100% certin.
all the other controller makers are chip makers with a name they have to live with beyound today.
they have a huge stake in there product and not a few quarters earning reports.
for them they cant run off to lsi when the investors get rattled.
they own it 100%.
intel,toshiba,samsung,jmicron,marvel all have something biger then one product to awnser for with there stockholders.

venture capitals dont.
they worry only about getting back there investment and making a quick turnaround.
going public and or selling off there stake is what venture capital is all about.

this is why ocz bought indelilix in my option a company that made the vertex name was them.
a company that lost it sales to sandforce.
a company everyone forgot a year later.
a company that was the star a year before.

so when i say i know what a vertex will do trust me i do.
Punch Card
alex65

orion9727 wrote:
well the sandforce is a power hog.
in the sand 2 sata 3 it use close to 5v at load and 1.5-2v idle.
thats alot more then a platter and platter can stop and sleep.
ssd have no advanced power scheme as there new and they sure dont like chipset mode ones.

sand1 uses alittle less.

now look at a M4 that use less then 1volt active and hundereads idle.
we talking here a difference of 4v or more and probley 2 v active cause some ssd go so low there not even a tenth but a hundreath of volt.
huge difference.
sandforce uses so power because it converts data to compressed data files.
that way it can move them around faster.

Sorry but you don't know at all what you're talking about.

The voltage never vary on sata/msata drives... It's a steady 5V. I guess you meant the amperage, which does vary with load.

Sandforce SSD use more power than Intel, sure. But they are also a lot faster. In any case, it's no worse than a traditionnal laptop hard drive.

As far as OCZ reliability is concerned, failure rate is no worse than Intel in my experience, and we use a couple dozen of each brand for our database cluster.

You hate OCZ, I think we all get it. But now please stop spreading FUD.