Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
brus0li

x220's hard disk making noise on shutdown/sleep?

There is some freaky noise when x220 is put to sleep or shut down. Hard disk roars loudly for a second and then stops. I remember someone mentioning this problem before. Any idea what is this about?

Punch Card
Kruger

Re: x220's hard disk making noise on shutdown/sleep?

I had this same problem when I received my X220i. Due to other issues it was replaced but I remember the tech mentioning they ordered a new hard drive for the laptop(they gave me a new one but repaired the old one anyway) which to me gave the idea it was faulty. I had not mentioned hard drive in any way to them before.

Now I have X220 and it's dead silent when shutting down but is noisy as ### otherwise.
Punch Card
brus0li

Also, there is a single beep sound when going to sleep or shutting down. Is that normal? Is it possible to turn it off?

Punch Card
brus0li

I suspect the beeping sound might come from the hard disk since.

When shutting down or going to sleep it sounds like this: beep-roaaawwrrrrrrr

Disabled beeping in bios and in windows.

Guru
ColonelONeill

Does it pass SMART diagnostics? Can you try updating Active Protection System and your SATA drivers? Also, which manufacturer is it?
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1090/695/1390, 22GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
TPT1: 1839-23U, stock ICS
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
Punch Card
brus0li

Yes, it passes the diagnostics. Everything is up to date, I guess. Just used update manager. Should I perhaps do something else?

It's Hitachi.

Punch Card
brus0li

[ Edited ]

Should I be concerned?

The noise is really audible when in a quiet room, but hardly audible anywhere else.

If it's defective, I might wait a year for it to die and then buy an SSD. :smileyvery-happy:

Paper Tape
tokisaka

[ Edited ]

Hi all,

I got my x220 last week (with 7200rpm hard drive) and I also noticed this strange noise on shutdown and sleep.

First, there is a high-pitched beep which is exactly the same that you can hear  when you unplug an external hard drive while it is still spinning...

And right after this beep, there is a "roaar", as if some spinning parts were rubbing...

I contacted Lenovo today, but because the hard drive passes all the tests succesfully, they told me that even if I send it, the hard drive will NOT be changed!

Does anyone with a x220+7200rpm hard drive notice this noise? How did you deal with it?

Punch Card
Crmb

[ Edited ]

I have also the "beep-rooooarrr" when the laptop stop but it never come into my mind that it was a problem.

Don't become over paranoiac people. Some harddrive (especialy in laptop) make some strange noise when they are stopped.

Fanfold Paper
chhay

Hi,

Should give tech support a call. If it is still under warranty, you can send your machine for repair.