Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
SStefan

Re: x220's hard disk making noise on shutdown/sleep?

Hi,

is there an answer if the HDD is defect or not?

I have the same problem, changed by warranty a defect Seagate HDD (without any ugly noise) and got back a new hitachi HTS7232..  in my ThinkPad T410 there is the same ugly beep and noise on shutdown.

I don't think that this is normal behavior!

Cheers

What's DOS?
sylprose2

Noising hard drive is a symptom of serious problem. May be some of your hard disk areas ( sectors) are bad. If it’s happen, you can't fix it. The thing you can make is to prevent lose of your Date. Now need to be sure about bad sectors of your HDD. There are some free Hard Disk Diagnostic Software, with this you can identify you HDD's problems or conditions:

a) Seagate Seatools,

b) Hitachi Drive Fitness Test,

c) Samsung Hutil,

d) WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic,

e) Fujitsu Diagnostic Tool. 

Source:  Techyv Experts

What's DOS?
SStefan

The Point is, that the Harddrive is working! No damaged sectors or something else, no ugly sounds when running!

BUT when you shutdown the PC or go in sleepingmode the harddrive makes a little beep (from internal speaker in the harddrive) and a second later there is a very hearable sound like barking of a car.

What happens is that the harddive makes no spin-down and keeps running the plates even when the BIOS/Drivers says stop. The BIOS then cuts off the power supply from the spinning/running harddrive and the harddrive goes bad. Thats why the harddrive makes a beep and we can hear the barking sounds after a second after shutdown.

All tools will tell you that the disk is ok, but i think it's not, will try to call the support tomorrow if i'm in time after work.

My system:

T410 with replaced HDD (Hitachi 250GB 7200rpm), Win.7 (64Bit), tested AHCPI and Compatibility Mode in BIOS without success.

Cheers

Guru
ColonelONeill

My Scorpio Black in my T400 did this on a fresh install of Windows 7, but goes away after I install the SATA driver.
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1090/695/1390, 22GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
TPT1: 1839-23U, stock ICS
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
What's DOS?
SStefan

Thanks for your help but i have no success with this.

I tried the lenovo recovery, after that i updated everything - first with MS Update - then with the lenovo vantage update.

New Intel driver for SATA AHCI did not fix the problem :smileyindifferent:

My Seagate HDD i used before did never show such a behavior, even after fresh install.

Would be nice to hear what my pre-posters does and how they fixed the problem...

What's DOS?
SStefan

Update:

Last week i called the lenovo service and tryed to describe the agent my problem.

I think the agent was not able or won't understand it correct, he told me that everything is fine with the hdd and that the hitachi is the cheap replacement for the good seagate. He added that the sounds on shutdown are normal and it would be to complicated to tell my why they are normal.

Today the hitachi is working in my T410 but makes new ugly click sounds when running, i'll give her a few month and backup all my data before bad thinks happen...