Support in other languages: 
What's DOS?
aryan

x60 Irreparable damage to the battery has been detected. Replace the battery with a new one.

I have a X60 initially bought in 2007 for business but was never used much. We started using it regularly in March of this year and all of sudden couple of hours back, laptop automatically shut down. It wont restart until power was plugged in and on being plugged in the battery light was flashing.

Reading on Lenovo website, I soon figured out this is the famous battery error; but running their automated program does not show my battery as one of teh affected parts! Checking battery stats, the battery charge cycle is only 61!! I called Lenovo support and they claim that since the battery warranty was expired in 03/08, there is nothing much they can do but to direct me to buy a new one.

A battery with only 61charges and exhibiting all the same symptoms as bad batteries - is a bad battery and should be replaced. Even my FRU # 93P5030 is right next to replacement FRU # 93P5029. I don't want to spend money on buying a replacement battery especially because I know they gave a bad battery to start with. Any suggestions, how I should deal with lenovo?

Thanks!
lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,201
Solutions: 1,277

Re: x60 Irreparable damage to the battery has been detected. Replace the battery with a new one.

[ Edited ]
Your battery warranty is over for 15 months already, there is not much people can do for you. 
Message Edited by lead_org on 05-01-2009 07:24 AM
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Fanfold Paper
FailedBoot

Re: x60 Irreparable damage to the battery has been detected. Replace the battery with a new one.

Let me guess, just happend to stop working more or less 3 years after it was bought........

Paper Tape
falconsvictory

I understand your frustration. I bought my tablet 2yrs ago refurbished. I tried to stay on top of things and take special care of my battery. Now I am receiving the same error. My cycle count is 92 and according to the power manager, my battery is in Good condition. I wish there was something I could do.

Token Ring
Roger99

It's tough I know but batteries don't have an indefinite life, even if you don't use them.

In fact it might have lasted longer if you had given it regular light use instead of leaving it on the shelf.

A battery is not a solid component - it is a bunch of messy chemicals and doesn't stay stable for ever.

Paper Tape
falconsvictory

Actually I used it all the time. I'm in med school and my tablet is my constant companion. I just tried conserving and taking care of the battery and pronlonging its life span. I just think it died prematurely and my battery FRU is one of the ones listed for recall but the recall ended late last year which sucks.

Punch Card
Occam

Aryan, try to understand.

There is a limiter warranty period; maybe this is not your case, but it could be that the battery was stored in a wrong place, at too high or too low temperature. The supplier (Lenovo) can't cover all the possible situations...

600, R52, T61p, X301
Token Ring
Roger99

I was replying to the OP.