Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Guru
dragnoak

Why are the Y470 Drivers & Downloads so out of date?

Ref: http://consumersupport.lenovo.com/ca/en/DriversDownloads/drivers_list.aspx?CategoryID=658501

Case in point:

I double checked my BIOS last night. I currently have 47CN27WW (Version 2.05), SMBIOS Version 2.7 installed.  The installed date was 5/13/11. I ordered my Y470 on 5/27/11, so that must be the most up-to-date BIOS when they built my machine.

The 47CN25WW (Version 2.03) BIOS as offered on the Lenovo site, 7/18/11, must be “older” than the one I have presently installed.

I’ve checked a number of the Intel drivers I have on the Intel update site, and the Lenovo Intel drivers are mostly old. In fact, when I used the Windows Update, it gave me an update for the Intel Corporation - Display - Intel(R) HD Graphics Family, which breaks FN + Up/Down brightness display on my Y470. I had to roll back this driver to get the brightness display meter working again.

Now I know that Lenovo has to “modify” the external Intel drivers to work with their “unique” machines, but the actual BIOS driver on the Lenovo driver update page, is one generation lower than the one they installed on my Y470.

What is the “official” policy for approving/including drivers on the Lenovo Drivers & Downloads web page? How long does it really take to modify/approve the third party Intel drivers?

Once again, why ARE the Lenovo drivers, and downloads, on their site so old?

DragonRider

I'm DO'ing IT
Lenovo Y470 085525U 2nd generation Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM processor ( 2.00GHz 1333MHz 6MB )
IdeaCentre A520 Intel® Core™ i5-3230M processor ( 2.60GHz 2600MHz 3MB )
T420
Blue Screen Again
mvrk2011

Re: Why are the Y470 Drivers & Downloads so out of date?

Dragnoak, I have a Y470 and noticed the same thing as you regarding the outdated BIOS and driver software on Lenovo's website.  There is absolutely no excuse for this.  It simply is further evidence of how truly inept the whole service side of the Lenovo IdeaPad (as opposed to the ThinkPad) organization is.  Quite honestly, I can't believe this company is still in business given how they are treating IdeaPad customers post-sale.  They simply could not care less once that machine is sold.  This attitude wouldn't be the issue it is if it weren't for all the problems people are having with this new IdeaPad platform.  They launched it in January 2011 prematurely before all the bugs were worked out.  Now the early adopters are turning out to be their "field test".  Real nice way to treat you loyal customers of the ThinkPad platform, Lenovo.

Blue Screen Again
mvrk2011

Come on Lenovo...how difficult could it be to correct the issue described in the original post?  Do you actually believe it's OK to have outdated BIOS and drivers listed on your website?

Blue Screen Again
mvrk2011

[ Edited ]

Lenovo...hello???? Anyone there?????  Is it too much to ask to have the latest drivers loaded on your website instead of the outdated ones that are highlighted in the original post?  Do you simply not care if your customers go through the frustration of trying to install the BIOS update currently listed on your website, only to find out it won't install because it's a version that's older than the one currently installed on the customer's machine?  Do you simply not care, or are you not paying any attention to this community forum or what?

Guru
dragnoak

mvrk2011,

I guess their "official reply" is NO reply. Although, I really wish they would explain the process to update/approve the drivers they have available on their site. Oh well, if pigs could fly...

DragonRider

I'm DO'ing IT
Lenovo Y470 085525U 2nd generation Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM processor ( 2.00GHz 1333MHz 6MB )
T420
Guru
dragnoak

Dear Forum Members,

I posted this question on the Lenovo IdeaPad Y, U, B, V, and Z series Laptops forum:

“Why are the Y470 Drivers & Downloads so out of date?” on 10/21/11. I only received 3 replies from mvrk2011 echoing my plea, and requesting that Lenovo provide us with an answer. Today, I noticed that the question has been moved to: Lenovo Community > Special Events > Feedback on the new support site. The moderator did not indicate that it has been moved, from the original forum post

I suppose this is a good sign. Maybe it IS “feedback” on Lenovo’s inefficiency in keeping their users up-to-date. Maybe they are trying to bury the post in a little used thread. I don’t know, but I hope the question will finally get addressed, and answered by those in the know at Lenovo.

Stay tuned!

DragonRider

I'm DO'ing IT
T420
Agotthelf
Topics: 146
Kudos: 262
Solutions: 183

Hi Dragonrider,

sorry, the link is not there, also I set it, before moving. Its a forum software issue.

Best Regards

Andreas

Please insert your type, model (not S/N) number and used OS in your posts.
I´m a volunteer here using New X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Yoga, Yoga 11s, Yoga 13, T430s,T510, X220t, IdeaCentre B540.
TIP: If your computer runs satisfactorily now, it may not be necessary to update the system.

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Guru
dragnoak

[ Edited ]

Dear Andreas,

Thank you for your explanation on what happened to the post.

I really don't want to besmirch Lenovo over this problem. I honestly want to know what the procedure is, in regards to how Lenovo decides what uploads, and drivers, they post at their website. A simple "official" policy statement, that clarifies the process, would do wonders for Lenovo's reputation.

I am a retired Senior Systems Analyst administrator, over many IBM System 38's, AS/400's, Series I, and Power 7 systems. I used a ThinkPad to manage those machines. The last IBM Hardware Management Console (HMC) was the best, most stable, machine I ever had the pleasure of using. IBM always delivered timely, well planned updates to their machines.  My point is, without the support of a dedicated team in the company  (in this case, Lenovo), to keep every driver at the most up-to-date level, my laptop will only turn into a brick.

I, and many others, want to know the answer to this issue.

Cheers!

DragonRider

I'm DO'ing IT
T420
Guru
dragnoak

Well, it's been another week without an answer.

OK, I'll try a different tactic. My main issue is with the Intel HD 3000 Video Driver. On the Lenovo site they have Driver 8.15.10.2342 listed. Intel has released 8.15.10.2509, and the 2509 driver is included with the Windows Automatic Update process.

When will Lenovo "customize" the 2509 driver to work with the FN + Up/Down to control the screen brightness issue?

How much longer will we have to wait, before Lenovo posts this driver to the support page?

Inquiring minds want to know!

DragonRider

I'm DO'ing IT
T420
Cleo_Lenovo
Topics: 79
Kudos: 260
Solutions: 137

Hi DragonRider,

Good day to you.

First of all, may i know the reason you need the latest version 2509 as Intel and Windows offered? I appreciate you to share with me more about issues it fixed for you for i could share with our development team.

Sometimes, a minor version of drivers will not be uploaded into the website but only the major ones. If a driver (from Intel) fixes a critical issue, then we'll package them with the one provided by Intel.

No matter what, I'd like to share this info with our engineering for their comments too.

Many thanks!

Regards,
Cleo

WW Social Media
T61, T410, x240, Z500, Flex 14

Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество