(2,262 Views)

Hard Disk Warning or when it fails diagnostic tests

BIOS, CPU, Error messages, Expansion slots, Hard Disk, Operating System

Question

I have a C200 series all in one that has Windows 7 Home Premium. It is just three years old and I was thinking of upgrading the system so I  did a full diagnostic with the Toolbox to make sure all was okay.

However, my computer passed all but three tests - target read test, smart short test, and surface scan test.

I was told to back up my system as my hard drive was about to fail - a disk check of all files showed no other problems. So what should I do in this case - throw out the system or can it be saved?

Answer

Once your hard drive starts showing errors, it is a matter of time that it will fail. And you usually have very limited time to save it.

The first thing you should do is burn recovery disks. This is because you are going to have to restore the system into a new hard drive.The recovery disks will restore the Operating System (OS) back to the way it was when you first got it. You can also use the disks to restore the system from the back-up you made, and hence, no new purchase of an OS is needed.

If possible, do a full back-up onto an external hard drive.

If you really need to get a new hard drive, please refer to the following  link where there is a guide on how to replace it on Page 33.

It is also worth noting that some diagnostics programs may not always read a drive correctly.  Use of a second hard disk diagnostic package may help corroborate the results, but keeping frequent back up copies of your data is a recommended practice at all times.   If your system is under warranty and fails HDD diagnostics, please contact service.