I have a new Lenovo H420 and I am unable to get sound from the 2nd set of rear speakers when using a media player.
The OS is Windows 7 Home 64 bit and I have put in all new drivers for the Realtek HD Audio. When I run the Lenovo HD Audio Manager the system shows stereo or quadrophonic or 5.1 speakers. Stereo is fine and plays back on the front speakers. And when set to 4 speakers, the Audio Manager playback tests run successfully on all 4 speakers. It does this also for the Windows speaker configuration.
But running Windows media player or VLC player will only play sounds on the front channel.
What is the workaround?
The following was a workaround by a member of the Community.
- Run the Realtek Audio Manager (aka Lenovo HD auido Manager) found in the control panel programs.
- Click Advanced button on right panel
- Set Speaker Configuration to Quadraphonic
- Click the Test button or click on the individual speakers. You should hear sound from all the speakers except for the center channel and subwoofer. This proves there is a signal for the front and rear speakers. The problem is that when running applications there is no sound on the rear speakers.
- Click Sound Effects tab, change the Environment from <none> to Room. There should now be an audio signal for the rear speakers.