Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo PhonesA Series, Vibe B & Vibe C Smartphones
All Forum Topics
Options

37 Posts

06-16-2017

United States of America

77 Signins

746 Page Views

• Views: 746
  • Message 1 of 7

Ridiculous C2 PA45 (K10a40) File Manager SD card issue

2017-06-20, 15:23 PM

Alright, I've added a Class 10 Ultra SanDisk 16GB SD card and formatted it as phone storage (not transfer).

Everything seems fine under Storage & USB Settings, except when I launch the File Manager - it's only showing me the SD card, both by name and size.

This C2 PA45 (K10a40) has 8GB internal ROM (except File Manager, again, had only shown 4GB as ~4GB is system reserved; made another topic on that initially, never mind that).

So in Settings, I can see 8GB plus the SanDisk 16GB, which is ~22GB total available and in the File Manager it's only the SD card; as if the system hadn't (fully, or something) recognized what's going on.

How is this even possible?! Is this an Android 6.0 issue, a Lenovo one, this particular phone model?? What am I supposed to do, now!? :o

Attaching the File Manager screenshot, hopefully it shows up. Apparently there are JavaScript incompatibilities between Android Firefox and the forums, blah.

Help, pls. I'm fairly new to Android, but I grew up on PCs and from the looks of it, this is fubar.

What used to say Internal storage in the File Manager now reports as the SanDisk memory card, as if I hadn't merged the two using the phone interface and prompts - when the SD card had first been inserted and phone switched back on.

All sorts of web errors, I'll try to add image from Chrome in a reply.

Answer
Options

1 Posts

01-31-2018

Italy

6 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35

Re: Ridiculous C2 PA45 (K10a40) File Manager SD card issue

2018-01-31, 12:16 PM

Same problem here, same phone, same SD.

After a hard work of backing up my data, i formatted the phone (reset to default): it seems to be the only method to solve.

Then it seems to accept SD with right space. :smileyembarrassed:

Hope it's useful

Known issue before solving:

-can't see sd when phone is connected to pc via usb

-can't see sd in file manager;

-can't use sd as internal Memory (only storage);

-internal camera can't recognize sd as mounted so you can't Save pictures.

Replies(6)
Options

37 Posts

06-16-2017

United States of America

77 Signins

746 Page Views

• Message 2 of 7

2017-06-20, 15:31 PM

Options

37 Posts

06-16-2017

United States of America

77 Signins

746 Page Views

• Message 3 of 7

2017-06-20, 15:40 PM

Edit:

As a last resort, tried to format the SD card as external storage, rebooted the phone and reformatted as internal. Rebooted. 

File Manager is now NOT showing it at all and for the first time I got a message while formatting how the SD may be too slow - which it isn't and there had been no such message before. 

What is this not-so-magical merry-go-round that this phone has taken me on, ffs. 

Why am I wasting hours of my life doing this, with a brand new device which is supposed to work. 

Tried searching online for SD card compatibility and nada so far. Do I waste money at the shop, trying a different one; do I return this phone and end this misery. LOL. Who knows.

Options

37 Posts

06-16-2017

United States of America

77 Signins

746 Page Views

• Message 4 of 7

2017-06-20, 16:13 PM

Here's a capture of the App info, for File Manager. It's unable to calculate storage space...

Options

37 Posts

06-16-2017

United States of America

77 Signins

746 Page Views

• Message 5 of 7

2017-06-20, 17:48 PM

Right, OK. Jesus Christ. Here's the deal, assuming that everything is as it should be here and I'm not losing my mind: 

According to some Lenovo Android 5.x instructions, THAT File Manager was able to select between "internal" and "external" memory... 

After using Storage & USB to "migrate" (whatever data, automatically) to the SD card - even though it had been formatted to the system and not as external storage - the SD card shows up in File Manager, instead of the built-in ROM. 

So, my best guess is that this is how it's set up to work, more "auto" because of mounting and file permissions - or, something. 

The only question which remains is WHERE will new apps be installed and will the system know (and how). For example, if it keeps installing in ROM - eventually I'll get a space error and will have to move apps manually? If it installs on the SD card, then a lot of space will go to waste on the ROM. 

Who the heck knows. The frustrating thing is that, what, we're supposed to take it on faith that everything will be cool; or, how's it supposed to work - and how am I to know?.. Gotta love Android (not).

Answer
Options

1 Posts

01-31-2018

Italy

6 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 6 of 7

2018-01-31, 12:16 PM

Same problem here, same phone, same SD.

After a hard work of backing up my data, i formatted the phone (reset to default): it seems to be the only method to solve.

Then it seems to accept SD with right space. :smileyembarrassed:

Hope it's useful

Known issue before solving:

-can't see sd when phone is connected to pc via usb

-can't see sd in file manager;

-can't use sd as internal Memory (only storage);

-internal camera can't recognize sd as mounted so you can't Save pictures.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

37 Posts

06-16-2017

United States of America

77 Signins

746 Page Views

• Message 7 of 7

2018-02-10, 16:41 PM

Thanks for digging up the thread and your reply. I had been (a little) too quick to post, was just getting to know Android (turns out it's almost as bad as Windows 95, hehe; except everything works, more or less. :))

... All I had to do is read the documentation (RTFM), but I suppose - didn't know what to look for, exactly. Managing it now, somehow!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms