12-15-2009

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 11 of 924

Re: Bootloader Solution

2011-02-20, 5:51 AM

Bootloader on the Atrix is encrypted. EDIT: signed.

The phone has been rooted already.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/19/motorola-atrix-4g-already-rooted-and-its-not-even-out-yet/

bootloader is signed not encrypted.  fixed the post

Options

32 Posts

02-21-2011

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 12 of 924

2011-02-21, 3:07 AM

I am very excited about this device ... how ever as many have put here i am concerned that this one will go back before the 30 day return period is up, I have Developed for and been a part of android from day 1, I currently own 6 android devices, however none motorola because of this boot loader issue, all of my family and relatives are android users as well and they come to me to recommend as well as buy their devices.... I have only twice recommended motorola devices both to employees ( the droid, and droid x) the second one burned me badly as the employee than wanted me to develop for his phone as he watches me do with all of mine.... I had to than apologize that i told him to buy a droid x because i thought it was the best device on the market ... now he has it for 2 years .  I wont make that mistake again... This is why i am so worried about tomorrow I think the atrix could be the best device I have ever owned ... but i will not be locked into a device that i am not in control of, The Atrix is equipped with the best hardware to date on any phone including over seas (I have bought several non us devices) how ever no offense to any hard working Devs in motorola but im sure they will agree that they could not think of everything and or include everything the device is capable of... that is why i have been involved with android sense day one because it allows for every single computer nerd in the world to work together to make our devices reach there full potential, the only limitations of android by design is the technology available to create the hardware and this is what has made Motorola a great option as they produce some very impressive hardware.  My fear is that a company (Motorola) that i have always loved and supported who just started on the rebound from some ruff years by reinventing themselves with android devices are now going to burry them selves for good as i dont think this year will be as kind to them , reason being is no one will be duped twice, (fool me once ...) just as i said about my recommendations many are out there like me , as well as many that will more than likely be returning our brand new Atrix not because it isn't a great phone but because it is full of limitations and I have zero control over my future with it and the longevity of the device and my investment.  I Love technology and neither my self or the businesses i own would be here with out it, that is why i always buy the best, that is why i spend large amounts of my hard made money on expensive devices, I buy Mac's for reliability of hardware and craftmanship, but most of them run linux as there primary OS, now i know that i cant send my linux running mac back to apple if somethings not working right and blame them as they didnt build it for linux and everything might not work right ... thats on me, how ever Apple or any other Computer company do not lock down my machine so that i can not duel boot them, or replace there OS altogether, instead they are glad to have me as a customer and gladly take the $1000's i spend every year. The same is with these phones, in 2010 alone i bought 5 android devices , some i end up keeping to continue working on or use for business some i give to family etc but none were returned, this is because everyone of them due to my knowledge lacked to find a use .  I Hope That the Atrix will not be my first return, I hope that Motorola gives us the tools to unlock- or sign our own software (and with in 30 days because that is all I am given to get rid of it), and i hope they realize that just like computers, letting people own there own devices will not do anything but help with sales esp if you provide the best hardware on the market!!  Please Motorola Let us all get behind you, Help us Help you, in 1996 I bet on you huge and i was right you took off , I Bet on you you again because i think im still right about you and your work shows it, Don't ruin it by continuing to hurt the people that sell your products because its not the guy in the cell phone store (Look at Iphone)  thanks for all the hard work and the countless years of innovations and hardware I and so many others have gotten to enjoy !!

Options

50 Posts

01-23-2010

New York

23 Signins

148 Page Views

• Views: 148
  • Message 13 of 924

2011-02-21, 9:37 AM

Ay Ay, +1 for what TodbId has said.  THis is kind of rediculous.  If the bootloader is not given a a key or not cracked this phone will definitley will be returned to ATT within its 30 days,  This phone was ATT's last vestige to keep me as a client after 8 years.  I am sure I am not alone.  The ability for me to alter my phone as I wish is what keeps me from not buying IPHONE's.  For the sake of having 2 cores I can wait a couple of months till the tech gets bested by HTC's double qualcom and gpu's and I will go elsewhere like your rep first suggested.  PLEASE NOTE MOTO. your company's reputation as being nerd friendly is on watch with many tech sites.  Don;t be bad to us.  Although we do not have the numbers of the massive consumer base that your marketing too.  We do have word of mouth influence as well.  You are making a come back.  If this is unlocked you will win favor if not.  I guarantee you you will not prosper not matter how powerful your future phones will be.

Lenovo IdeaPad Y550P(324156U)
Intel Core i7 720QM(1.60GHz)
4GB Memory DDR3 1066
500GB HDD 5400rpm
NVIDIA GeForce GT 240M
Windows 7 Professional
Options

349 Posts

11-29-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 14 of 924

2011-02-21, 9:55 AM

Ok guys I understand your frustration but stop threatening Motorola. They are a big corporation and the fact is that only a minority is complaining but the issue. So they can always ignore us and continue. We should be asking nicely really. Just because you feel you have been with a brand for years doesn't mean when you leave they will get hurt. Think about this; How many customers/users are buying their products again? and how many are complaining now?

Just be a lil more welcoming, we are basically asking them a favor here.

-Ram

Options

50 Posts

01-23-2010

New York

23 Signins

148 Page Views

• Views: 148
  • Message 15 of 924

2011-02-21, 10:31 AM

if opinions are not voiced, they will never be heard Ram. 

Lenovo IdeaPad Y550P(324156U)
Intel Core i7 720QM(1.60GHz)
4GB Memory DDR3 1066
500GB HDD 5400rpm
NVIDIA GeForce GT 240M
Windows 7 Professional
Options

12299 Posts

11-19-2009

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 16 of 924

2011-02-21, 12:29 PM

ram130 wrote:

Ok guys I understand your frustration but stop threatening Motorola. They are a big corporation and the fact is that only a minority is complaining but the issue. So they can always ignore us and continue. We should be asking nicely really. Just because you feel you have been with a brand for years doesn't mean when you leave they will get hurt. Think about this; How many customers/users are buying their products again? and how many are complaining now?

Just be a lil more welcoming, we are basically asking them a favor here.

-Ram

Ramon, thanks for leaving the "dark side" and the vote of confidence.  Anyone who continues down this path will see that Motorola is really trying to satisfy all of their user base, and that is a very difficullt thing to do.   --- Dan

Options

32 Posts

02-21-2011

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 17 of 924

2011-02-21, 13:48 PM

Dan Please, with all do respect your comment here is out of place and does not apply to this situation.  I own a retail establishment in which 6k-10k people rely on me as the only store with in walking distance to them each year.. yet only have a store front of 1800 ft. to deal with, so i understand and could be sympathetic to anyone else's plea about choices and the "Can't Please Everyone" problem...  This is not one of those problems however, offering Developers a way to sign there code for use with the device , or a way to unlock there device, would not at all infringe on Motorola's ability to service or apease there other customers, nothing is being lost, compromised or given up, no more money is being spent (if nothing else certainly less than the current model and all the time and effort you guys spend fielding these complaints and requests) once again just like the pc or mac no difference at all other than you WOULD "Satisfy Everyone" and prob sell more devices as it would have support from third party developers.

@Ram130 I am Not threatening Motorola, i simply in my post explained my situation , and why there current course of actions if not changed soon would loose me and what ever my percentage of there business there is, this is not done as a threat.. but as a favor, from one business owner to another i am telling them why i will be walking away and taking my family and friends with me , BEFORE doing so, this is a luxury most are never given in business , and they still have the choice to listen or not thats up to them and i do respect that.  LOL "percentage of customers complaining vs. number of total customers " ya that is funny i would expect there to be far more normal customers than developers customers .... other wise neither my self nor motorola would be here.  I appreciate you wanting to stick up for Motorola , if you read my post you would understand that i am trying to as well, and have in the past and "actually have something to gain/ lose in this as well" as i am a share holder and have been sense 1996.

Options

30 Posts

01-21-2011

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 18 of 924

2011-02-21, 17:59 PM

Ram I disagree completely, Motorola and any other company would love it if everyone thought as you did.  Us DroidX users have been nicely asking for the keys to the equipment we own since last July and we have been ignored.  If you don't think the modding community has a voice then have a look at how quickly Motorola posted a retraction to the comments their employee made on the youtube broadcast.  Now, Motorola has been very quiet since then which leads many, myself included to think they were only doing damage control and never had any intention of allowing us to unlock our devices.

Guess what, people all over planet were watching a thread on a certain developer forum for the status of the Atrix bootloader, and we have our answer.  The modding community might be small, but many people including family and friends depend on us for suggestions and recomendations when they get ready to buy their tech, some of us are in charge of hardware purchases for our respective companies.  When we say don't buy something, people who depend on us don't question us because they know we are knowledgable.

Motorola is saving it's smartphone division with the help of a free and open OS, I don't have a problem with this at all.  What I have a problem with is their attempt to take control of their savior and bog it down with things like Motoblur, CityID and other crap I can't get rid of on my legally purchased device.  There are devices 2 or more years older with clearly inferior hardware that simply outperform my DroidX in basic operations, simply because they don't have the bloat that is Motoblur.

Don't ever give up your voice and if they don't listen, speak with your wallet.  It all makes a difference....... 

Options

349 Posts

11-29-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 19 of 924

2011-02-21, 20:03 PM

I agree with everyone still.

I don't how I will come across to each of you but I am trying to be open to both sides and help each understand the others reasons. I know we have a voice.

Ok, before I begin I must say to both sides, open up your mind a bit. Both you guys and Motorola. Just hear me out a bit.

Motoblur is both useful and not so useful. I never realize it until I start to question the reason Motorola would put a skin on Android if not to help it.

They need to add features that stock Android just doesn't provide support for. I understand that Motorola, but I think you got carried away with it.

To look at the other side of things, take note to this, if Motorola simply went with stock Android what would we have loosed?

1. No stereo mic recording.

2. No added features to the dialer.

3. A less capable camera.

4. No extra call features.

5. No extra software features such as FM Radio, etc.

You know, things that make Motorola devices more appealing.

What about to gain?

not much really:

1. Better Facebook contact integration.

2. better management of conference calls.

3. No laggy home screen.

4. No added software.

5. Timely Android updates..

To me, Motorola was only trying to improve and innovate on top of Android. Which in my opinion is great. Just look what HTC Sense did for Android. WE all can agree that stock Android is a little intimidating for the average/new user.

It's not all good however. I feel, just like others here, that Motorola went too FAR with it. What do I mean? Well Motorola, your home screen is so crowded that it lags really bad than any other skin out there. Even when all widgets are deleted. The added software running causes some lags when opening apps after a while. When I'm on a call and I press the home button to look something up, I am constantly being reminder of the "iPhone experience" with your green blinking notification bar. Not to mention the copy and paste. I do however I applaud what you did with the "end call" button in the pull down bar.

Not to drift too far. I just want to say that we should all try to help Motorola improve the software rather than knock them for it.  They say "we are listening" , well Motorola you need to listen harder. I know theres a  thread with long list of request/bugs/features that you might have only took note to just two things. It's not really enough though.

WE are your users who are only trying to help you out here. Stop trying to lock us out. We want you to keep having top selling Android devices.

You also say the bootloader lock down is for security purposes and such. Well look at this.

Recently new Qualcomm based snapdragon Android devices were granted the privilege of offering Netflix because of the cpu and the security it provides. So you see your lock down didn't help get netflix on your side of things either. As a result, more users will be buying qualcomm based cpu which are basically HTC & LG devices just to get netflix..don't worry about them not being tech savy. The advertisements will speak for them selfs.

Anyway I will start by offering  just the top improvements I think you should make.

1. Keep the stock Android notification bar and icons. Nothing on it needs to be improved. Your devices will be known for it, if you keep it consistent.

2. Get rid of the iPhone like green lit notification bar when on a call. A user doesn't want to be reminded why they love or want the iPhone.

3. Fix the laggy home screen, Android is fast. Make it so. Optimize it even further, look at the Nexus S.

4. What ever deal you have with Verizon to include their software, at least try to work out another one that allows the user to remove them. Nothing hurts the users more.

5. Unlock the bootloader or offer a way for tech savy users to customize their hard earn phone. Sure, warn them you won't support warranty claims after. Just note,  your crippling Android development in more ways than one. Try being open like HTC who embrace the community. Did you know that problems HTC couldn't fix but developers did where later incorporated by HTC in future updates? Why do you think they have such a healthy developer community? I am talking from experience here.

There's more I'm sure, but I'm just stating my opinion and hope both sides can consider my points and work together in making Android better. I really hope the gingerbread update for the droid series will show some of these changes and again, I hope they also have an solution for a user who wants a "stock" experience if they so choose.

all the best..

-Ram

Options

14 Posts

02-19-2011

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 20 of 924

2011-02-21, 21:05 PM

Ram, I mostly agree with your take on all of this. I wouldn't mind Moto adding their own customizations to improve the experience and set themselves apart. In addition to the Droid I use an LG Vortex, and there are little nuances and customizations they've added to their own skin that I appreciate, such as power control options in the pull down notification tray. But, like you say, the invasiveness of blur, and the added time and difficulty in providing updates, makes it kind of a drag. I like the look and feel of gingerbread. The black bar with the Android green color is very sharp and appealing. Many of the icons included in stock android use that same color, and I like that. Changing the icons to be more Moto and less android seems superfluous. I also like the stock launcher, but even if Moto wanted to add their own flair, I wouldn't be totally opposed. If I wanted to change it I could add launcherpro and customize it as I saw fit. With Blur running as it does, however, adding another program on top of it just adds a lot of bulk and uses a lot of memory. I applaud how Moto has worked thus far to improve blur, and I look forward to seeing it on the Bionic. Of course, keeping the bootloader open, and allowing third party development would ultimately be a solution for those unhappy with the experience Motorola provides.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete