• Views: 259
  • Message 401 of 924

Re: Bootloader Solution

2011-04-04, 15:12 PM

deemacgee wrote:

LukeM wrote:

Oo

On Apr 4, 2011 7:29 AM, "mk1151" <motorola-mobile@hosted.jivesoftware.com

Well, it doesn't prove anything, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is as you're implying.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised is a whoooooooole lot of people here fell into that category.

I'm not up on the latest "SMS-speak" - what does "Oo" and "Vv" mean exactly?

Options

50 Posts

01-23-2010

New York

23 Signins

148 Page Views

• Views: 148
  • Message 402 of 924

2011-04-04, 15:37 PM

W means Winning!

On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 11:13 AM, mk1151 <

Lenovo IdeaPad Y550P(324156U)
Intel Core i7 720QM(1.60GHz)
4GB Memory DDR3 1066
500GB HDD 5400rpm
NVIDIA GeForce GT 240M
Windows 7 Professional
Options

3 Posts

03-31-2011

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 403 of 924

2011-04-04, 15:39 PM

I wanted to add to this comment about hackers and security. Everyone (at least I thought everyone) knows that the most commonly used software/version is the first to be targeted with attacks. Just take computers for example. When is the last time you saw a virus on a mac or linux pc? Or been affected by a "drive-by" virus from visiting a website on a mac or linux pc? The answer is not very often to almost never. Linux has soo many distributions available for different things that making a universal virus that all variations are vulnerable too would be next to impossible. If there is a 1 click solution to root found for every version of android regardless of the locked bootloader then someone could just as easily find a flaw in the stock motoblur and steal everyones data without them knowing it. If we are running a custom kernel and rom that maybe only 1-2000 other people are running the hundreds of thousands of people running stock would be the target of choice. Who is to say that the exploit to steal information would even work on the custom software? Security should not be an excuse for Moto or their business partners. In the short history of android its easy to see who is stronger at development. With my droid 1 I enjoyed fixes for actual bugs MONTHS faster from devs on the community sites then if i would have waited for VZ and Moto to push an update. Even when the Official update/patch was released it created other problems/bugs that just flat out didn't exist in the custom software i was running. Simply put, Moto & VZ (and the rest of the cell phone providers) need to work on a strong built-in firewall solution that notifies users of unauthorized data being transfered off the phone rather than how to lock the phone down more, not only would this shift the blame of stolen/lost data off the companies and into the lap of the end user who modified their phone. Punish the people wishing to do harm and keep android what it is: OPEN SOURCE! Locked bootloader on an open source OS... what part of open did these companies not understand?!

Options

248 Posts

06-07-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 404 of 924

2011-04-04, 20:29 PM

mk1151 wrote:

I agree that a locked bootloader doesn't solve all security threats... but to your second point - how many first generation Android phones out there support Gingerbread? (I mean have the specs and hardware to run it well)

How many do you think will support Ice Cream Sandwich?

While you're spot-on that a locked bootloader does inhibit 3rd party support for new ROMs, I wonder what the half-life of an average Android phone will be just based on the hardware.

Your argument is unrelated to the subject as well as flawed. Because some phones are not capable, manufacturers can arbitrarily lock people from newer software even when the phones can run it? What next? Microsoft says that they will lock us to specific windows builds for our safety? Would you buy a PC which had such restriction? Why anybody should buy Motorola phones then?

Besides, people running Gingerbread on Droid, also even with all the restrictions imposed by Motorola, CM7 can somewhat able to bring a half-baked Gingerbread to Milestone. I doubt Motorola will ever bring another upgrade to Milestone even though it can run Gingerbread. (considering they just released Froyo for it like 2 weeks ago).

All things considered, the newer versions of Android did not make these phones slower due to hardware restrictions, the better software made them faster. You probably knew that Froyo runs more efficiently than 2.1?

So what happens when people are getting software for their phones? People realize that the phones that manufacturers claim old and outdated are actually usable and function pretty good. Apparently Motorola is just trying to fool people so they can sell more devices. See, you mentioned things like hardware support etc. that is the number one sales argument for selling newer hardware to existing customers even though it is not even true...

Options

11 Posts

04-04-2011

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 405 of 924

2011-04-04, 23:28 PM

The option to open up the bootloader would be of inmutable value. Motorola and Co. Please unlock the bootloaders on your impressive suite of phones. Embrace this communty, and we will become your champions in promoting your phones.

Whatever the decision however, please don't make your community wait. Thanks.

Options

4625 Posts

03-15-2011

US

17 Signins

259 Page Views

• Views: 259
  • Message 406 of 924

2011-04-05, 0:59 AM

yurtesen wrote:

Your argument is unrelated to the subject as well as flawed.

Actually I made no argument - I asked a question.

Developers usually clamber to get the newest devices so they can start writing code. In 12-18 months when Moto might stop supporting the Atrix, there will be a host of new phones out, at which point would developers not turn their attention elsewhere?

Options

44 Posts

03-21-2011

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 407 of 924

2011-04-05, 1:29 AM

The HTC Touch Pro was (according to Wikipedia) made available in June 2008... that's nearly three years ago. The XDAndroid Project - an effort to port Android to the HTC Touch Pro - is alive and well today. I dual-boot Android and WinMo on my Touch Pro.

How's that for longevity and attention span?

A phone like the Atrix would last a lot longer than a Touch Pro, which might well be the motivation behind locking the bootloader: so the device has no community-driven lifecycle beyond that which Moto deigns appropriate to their revenue stream.

Options

2011-04-05, 17:21 PM

I just read an article today explaining what a huge sales flop the Atrix has been for Motorola. That's what they get for turning their backs on the developement community. Nobody wants this phone no matter how impressive the the specs are. Craporola really blew it this time, people are so pissed off about the locked bootloader that they're telling everybody to avoid this ignorant company. They need to fire whoever came up with the stupid idea of locking down the bootloader. It cost Motorola dearly in sales. Bobby Jindal should also be fired for poor leadership decisions. So much for "it's working for us" it looks like people took that morons advise and purchased other phones. All motorola has to do is unlock the bootloader and sales will increase, but their stupid pride and ignorant leadership will prevent them from doing the right thing. I hope they go out of business for their greed and ignorance.  http://blogs.forbes.com/ericsavitz/2011/04/05/motorola-mobility-xoom-atrix-both-duds-pacific-crest-says/

Options

33 Posts

03-01-2011

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 409 of 924

2011-04-05, 17:41 PM

Exactly, only an idiot buys a phone just because they saw a billboard or a television ad for it.  You know what sells phones?  Positive word of mouth, of which motorola is getting zero.

They have alienated the people most interested in cutting edge hardware, and we have been very vocal with what we think about that.  We have brought to light the underhanded market practices veiled as customer protection, and people have decided against patronizing that type of company.

You had a winner, moto, and you blew it.  Better luck next time.

Options

248 Posts

06-07-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 410 of 924

2011-04-05, 17:48 PM

mk1151 wrote:

Developers usually clamber to get the newest devices so they can start writing code. In 12-18 months when Moto might stop supporting the Atrix, there will be a host of new phones out, at which point would developers not turn their attention elsewhere?

I wouldnt go as far as 12-18 months, Motorola in my opinion would slow down the support after 3-6 months and nearly stop it after 12 months if it doesnt stop it altogether. See how many phones they upgraded to 2.2 and how many they are planning to upgrade to 2.3:

https://supportforums.motorola.com/community/manager/softwareupgrades

From the point of developers, well somebody just posted that some phone was supported for 3 years now. So, buying a phone which cant be supported by 3rd party developers is a no go for a smart buyer.

Motorola doesnt seem to understand how they can differentiate themselves from other manufacturers which produce Android phones. Obviously a way is, to lock bootloaders for forcing people to buy newer phones more often, but that obviousy has a fatal flaw, since people who experience this sort of problem 1- would not recommend Motorola products to other people 2- probably would change to another brand. The better way to convince customers is not just making cutting edge hardware, but convincing them that they will get more from their purchase compared to products from other companies, but Motorola does exactly opposite of what a buyer would want... (at least in my opinion)

In either case, I dont understand how this is related to bootloader being locked or not?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete