04-03-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 491 of 924

Re: Bootloader Solution

2011-04-11, 18:24 PM

No  fee tethering is already possible! The bootloader issue has not and is  not preventing it. Lets focus less on WHY they have locked the loader  and more on how we are going to [get them to] correct it!!

Do  you think we can organize consistent long-term attempts at reaching  Corporate Motorola Mobility and AT&T Wireless? I imagine a rotation  where one or two of us call any numbers we can dig up, EVERY, SINGLE,  DAY. Every day from now until a phone comes out with equal or greater  specs BUT with an open bootloader (because it wont be long for that to  happen!).

Or  is sending letters more effective? It would not be difficult for me to  create a mail-merge website that anyone can plug their address into that  lets you print and mail off a formal complaint / solution request  letter with your personal thoughts on the matter. sign and mail. If we  can get some group of people to do this over the next 2-3 weeks ... they  would really be saying F U by continuing to ignore us, wouldn't they?  That would then clearly be the solution they had in mind.... so then we  know.

A  petition sitting online is very nice but its not exactly the same as  knocking on their door and asking formally for a solution. This appears  to be necessary. Or we sit here and wait, which I won't do! 

I am steadily discovering annoying bugs in this phone that can only be  fixed by updates from Motorola (bluetooth A2DP skipping is my latest  frustration). That's right, only Motorola can provide the solution for  matters within the OS. No, sorry, no one at XDA could code up a fix and  release it tonight as a 40KB patch file. Well actually they can, except  we are not permitted to use this skill.  At least Not until we get  Motorola to help us out and provide a "Bootloader Solution". If I wanted  to sit around and have a company do everything for me, I would have  gone apple because they would do it right the first time! and I just may do that after I return my Atrix!!

Woo it felt good to vent... I welcome other Thoughts / Opinions

EDIT: How much you think it would cost to get that petition of 9k or so names printed, bound, and expedited to Motorola offices? I'm crazy enough to go that far, I think

Message was edited by: ryaske

Options

11 Posts

04-04-2011

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 492 of 924

2011-04-12, 0:26 AM

A post on the droid fourms that is a easy read for anybody following this thread

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/139761-plan-brighter-android-future.html#post1443876

To summarize, WugFresh (&Friends) idea is to actually bring companies like motorola a plan to make unlocking the bootloader profitable.

Motorola are you out there? Is a solution really in the works? -.-

Options

248 Posts

06-07-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 493 of 924

2011-04-12, 5:48 AM

kanbei wrote:

A post on the droid fourms that is a easy read for anybody following this thread

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/139761-plan-brighter- android-future.html#post1443876

To summarize, WugFresh (&Friends) idea is to actually bring companies like motorola a plan to make unlocking the bootloader profitable.

Motorola are you out there? Is a solution really in the works? -.-

The description of the reasons of this problem looks very accurate, but the suggested solutions are ridiculous and will probably never happen.

It suggests that companies should try to sell android devices by promoting its opennes... I am not sure if it would be a big selling point...

It suggests that carriers should drop unlimited plans which they can use for marketing things they dont want to give and loose money

It suggests manufacturers putting an unlock app to the phone to stop people from bricking it, but it wont stop people from bricking it since people will accomplish it by trying to put 3rd party roms anyway.

Companies have been marketing things which doesnt actually work or exist for a long time, in my opinion they just wont stop as long as customers are dumb enough to fall for it.

The real solution is not to try to create a solution which the companies can still profit a lot. The real solution is to educate customers so they will stay away from such companies so the companies will learn to behave better but that is perhaps impossible.

Options

484 Posts

12-12-2009

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 494 of 924

2011-04-12, 9:16 AM

You can't teach sheep to hunt. Apple would be dead if we could educate the general public the value of open source. Apple is where it is because of marketing. Same with moto.

Options

333 Posts

02-27-2011

US

1 Signins

24 Page Views

• Views: 24
  • Message 495 of 924

2011-04-12, 11:52 AM

........but Apple is loosing market share.  Take note of that Moto.....people want open.  I would also venture that there are probably more Apple haters than there are Moto customers.  People eventually get sick of the marketing lies and restrictions.  If Moto doesn't follow customer wants, they will be in the same boat.

Options

4625 Posts

03-15-2011

US

17 Signins

259 Page Views

• Views: 259
  • Message 496 of 924

2011-04-12, 12:13 PM

gr8danes wrote:

........but Apple is loosing market share.  Take note of that Moto.....people want open.  I would also venture that there are probably more Apple haters than there are Moto customers.  People eventually get sick of the marketing lies and restrictions.  If Moto doesn't follow customer wants, they will be in the same boat.

...but for a lot of people, the openness of the Android platform without root access and being able to load custom ROMs is enough. With Apple, you can't even change a keyboard, a mail platform, or have different background screens for each home page. Heck you can't even define a power-saver mode so PUSH mail doesn't operate at night.

Comparing Apple's closed system to Moto's "closed" system is not apples to apples.

Options

213 Posts

03-13-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 497 of 924

2011-04-12, 12:54 PM

mk1151 wrote:

...but for a lot of people, the openness of the Android platform without root access and being able to load custom ROMs is enough. With Apple, you can't even change a keyboard, a mail platform, or have different background screens for each home page. Heck you can't even define a power-saver mode so PUSH mail doesn't operate at night.

Comparing Apple's closed system to Moto's "closed" system is not apples to apples.

Here I agree, it is not apples to apples YET...

Here's a Proposed solution....................................

1) Motorola & AT&T pay for the ETF for those of us that want an unlocked/unsigned bootloader which motorola promised there would be a solution for...  that would allow us "noise makers" to go away if we so choose because we drank the koolaide.  Right now I can easily see how they would be legally liable for false advertising just from the "it's a computer that's a phone, it's a phone that's a computer" when in fact it is not... and this is just for starters.

2) If there is no stock android option AND no ability to load a custom or AOSP version of the Android OS on the device, then the manufacturer should not be allowed to call their OS android, but instead something like Motoblur Android to show it is not infact Android as shipped from Google.  This would allow the "normal" users to still see they are getting an Android phone, and at the same time letting others who want to customize their devices know they are not getting an android phone. 

Options

248 Posts

06-07-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 498 of 924

2011-04-12, 15:27 PM

I think most people do not care about open source, otherwise so many wouldnt be using MS Windows right?  

Like I said, it is impossible to educate people about these things. There are so many who just trusts that some customer protection organization would have done something if the companies were doing false advertising and actually these large corporations re not doing any false advertising.

See, carriers sell unlimited data plans, yes it is unlimited if you can use it instead they enforce limits using other methods, such as making sure that you cant use it in an unlimited fashion by restricting this within the devices they provide to their customers. So they keep their promise of unlimited data plan...dont they?

Why? Because they can. Instead of trying to convince Motorola, you should just try to educate people around you about what these companies are doing and make sure that they educate people around them and so on. Only then, companies will act. As long as they can push new devices to same people again and again and do all sorts of tricks to reduce the useful lifetime of the devices, why should they care really?

Options

44 Posts

03-21-2011

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 499 of 924

2011-04-13, 14:38 PM

Time for an update please, Motorola.

Options

50 Posts

01-23-2010

New York

23 Signins

148 Page Views

• Views: 148
  • Message 500 of 924

2011-04-13, 14:40 PM

Bump. HTC sensation coming out soon.

On Apr 13, 2011 10:39 AM, "deemacgee" <

Lenovo IdeaPad Y550P(324156U)
Intel Core i7 720QM(1.60GHz)
4GB Memory DDR3 1066
500GB HDD 5400rpm
NVIDIA GeForce GT 240M
Windows 7 Professional
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete