04-03-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 571 of 924

Re: Bootloader Solution

2011-04-15, 17:12 PM

Please use this chat resource to "Bother" motorola, POLITELY, and ask for as olution. I have done it three times today already and plan to do it many more over the next few weeks. If we multiply our efforts, we will bring this issue to the foreground attention of those at Motorola Mobility that can help us. Don't discount that they simply have forgot, or have priotized the situation very low. We can change that. When there is a will, there is a way.

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/chat/chat_launch/p_country_code/US/p_reference/moto_integration.php

Options

39 Posts

02-23-2011

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 572 of 924

2011-04-15, 17:14 PM

I wish I could unsubscribe to the conversation and hear only the moto comments from this point forward. Although, I'm looking forward to their status updates, I could care less about all the banter in the forum. All these emails are too much.

Options

248 Posts

06-07-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 573 of 924

2011-04-15, 17:16 PM

deemacgee wrote:

All those things like secondary bioses etc take space and use power inside the phone and also time and money for developing and supporting. When and if some manufacturer does those things, they will have to increase the size of the phone, and the price. Even in PC industry, dual bios is not very popular. It is just for luring people who break their bioses often. People will go and choose the slim and cheaper phone in the shop. The manufacturer will go bankrupt.

Are you serious??? Dual-BIOS not popular? Every mobo I've bought in the last 4 years has a recovery or secondary BIOS. I understood they were stock-standard these days anyway.

I can't imagine it would take much time, effort or money to put a teensy-weensy, read-only, hard-recovery chip onto a phone's mobo. It doesn't have to do anything except hand over control of the phone to the USB interface so it can receive commands directly from an external client - and even then (if you're worried about security), it needs only to load data to the phone, not send it to the client. That's it. Surely it's not too much to expect - or ask for.

You selected to buy dial-bios motherboard does not mean that it is popular. Go and make a statistical research, often only high end boards from few motherboard manufacturers have that feature. Mostly from gigabyte, for example boards from MSI does not even have seperate chips for a similar feature such as twinbios).

In either case, think about how many laptops having dual-bios or such bios recovery techiques? Dont you think that there is even more space in a laptop so it would be even easier to put that tiny chip that you are suggesting? Why do you think it is not there?

Options

57 Posts

04-03-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 574 of 924

2011-04-15, 17:19 PM

Ron: Hi, my name is Ron. How may I help you?

ryaske: Hey Ron, I hope your friday is going well. I have a question about Motorola's policy. Specifically, I would like an update to this thread:  https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/366385

ryaske: Regarding the bootloader situation and why no solution has been announced, despite motorola posting on twitter they are wokring on one, for over 10 weeks now.

Ron: Assuredly, I will do my best to help you.

Ron: Just to verify, are you referring for the Boot Loader error message on the phone, or are you asking if there's a way to change the Boot loader Software?

ryaske: I'm referring to the ability to load a vanilla version of Andriod into my Atrix. This is currently not possible with the bootloader being locked into only running signed code.

ryaske: I can quote the words from Motorola that makes over 9,000 current owners of the Atrix believe a solution is on it's way. Respectfully, 10 weeks is an awefully long time to wait.

Ron: I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. There is no settings or option to get rid of the Boot Loader of the phone. This conversation will be reviewed after we wrap this up, your concern will be address to our higher department.

ryaske: Thank you very much Ron, I appreciate the fact it will be forwarded up the management chain. I wish you a very happy weekend!

Ron: You're welcome.

Ron: Is there anything else?

ryaske: Nope, I have no other issues with the phone! Other than the fact I cannot remove Motoblur .. which the bootloader unlock option (if even it voids my hardware warranty) would solve. Thanks again for your attention to this

Ron: You are very much welcome, and enjoy your weekend too.

Ron: I hope you found our chat to be Excellent.  I would request that after you click 'Hang Up', please remember to click on the 'Close' button within the chat window and take a moment to fill out a short survey to tell us how we did. It should only take about 1 minute to complete. Your responses will help us get better at serving your needs.

Ron: If you need any more information get in touch. Thanks from Motorola, bye!

Ron has disconnected.

Options

248 Posts

06-07-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 575 of 924

2011-04-15, 17:21 PM

Just for clarification, while I am not happy that Motorola is locking the bootloaders and I would want to have possibility to unlock them, I think that it is unreasonable to ask for keeping the warranty when unlocking the bootloader. I would be happy if I could unlock it and pay with my warranty.

I am not sure where did the dual-bios thing came from, but the real problem was about warranty. Of course there is no end to stopping hardware from getting damaged and maybe we should deal one problem at a time. The biggest problem is the bootloader as far as I can see...

Options

57 Posts

04-03-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 576 of 924

2011-04-15, 17:22 PM

shaunole

here is an idea for you to do exactly as you request! Use gmail if you arent already, or any email client that allows you to create rules.

You can create a rule that says "if FROM does not contains X, move email to folder NON-MOTO-REPLY and mark read."  I Would set X = Mark's name on this forum. I am sure he would be the one to make an annoucement.

Options

50 Posts

01-23-2010

New York

23 Signins

148 Page Views

• Views: 148
  • Message 577 of 924

2011-04-15, 18:56 PM

Mark, can you check in please and let us know what is going on? Thank you

On Apr 15, 2011 1:02 PM, "yurtesen" <motorola-mobile@hosted.jivesoftware.com

Lenovo IdeaPad Y550P(324156U)
Intel Core i7 720QM(1.60GHz)
4GB Memory DDR3 1066
500GB HDD 5400rpm
NVIDIA GeForce GT 240M
Windows 7 Professional
Options

213 Posts

03-13-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 578 of 924

2011-04-15, 19:28 PM

eallan wrote:

mostlyharmlessnj wrote:

eallan wrote:

lorimer wrote:

Watching this thread, there are either sleeper motorola agents, or some people I would _LOVE_ to watch shop for a car.

"Ooooohh..  You are asking $32,000 for that one?!?  I _REALLY_ want it.  If I give you $45,000 and send you on a trip to the bahamas, will you _PLEASE_ sell it to me?  Pretty please?"

No Kidding!

I've never understood the ridiculous stockholm syndrome approach some people take. They're massive apologists for an idiotic policy of a company that just doesn't get it.

I've also noticed that most of the apologists don't really know what they're talking about. They try to use vague phrases and words without any understanding.

"The code will be so heavy and your device will weight more, they will have to charge more for shipping and then the Engineers they hire to screw you out of your warranty will cost so much that phones will be very expensive!"

The fact is, these things are already expensive. There is no reason for having to sacrafice a warranty to run some much much much better (NON BLUR) version of android.

I guess since I agree with giving up your warranty to allow us to load whatever OS I want, I would qualify as one of those sleeper motorola agents.

I agree that if we load JUST a STOCK Android then that should not invalidate the warranty.

However, the moment you start customizing anything that has to do with the standard behavior of the hardware on a non 100% stock android, then that is where I tend to agree with the idea of giving up with your warranty.  I do not like it, but it is reality.

You do something that causes some part of your phone to operate longer then it was designed to (syncing, screen brightness, over clocking, running any kind of enhanced driver) you can cause hardware problems. 

Read the forums enough and you will see things like "I'm running xxx rom, and the phone won't stop showing the syncing icon, now the battery life is horrible, and it's running hot."

Or all the posts of "tried flashing phone, bricked it, waiting for replacement".  I have no issue here if the replacement is coming through the insurance where is where I believe it should be done...

Nothing else works like this. Cars, houses, computers, etc. None of them immedietly invalidate your total warranty due to modifications. Cell phones should be no different. If motorola or anyone designs a phone where constant syncing makes the device overheat and cause failure (REGARDLESS OF THE OS OR ROM OR MODS) then they have failed. There shouldn't be any reason a device is engineered that will hurt itself if used.

I can use my CPU @ 100% and not worry about damage.

Mobile phones are NOT inherently different than a PC. In fact, I believe their own advertising re-enforces that belief. We shouldn't accept mediocrity and be thankful.     

Actually you are not 100% correct here.

You decide to Chip your car's computer, it invalidates the warranty on your car's computer AND any damage to your engine that may be a result of it. 

You cook on your stove and grease catches fire burning down your house, the house is not replaced under warranty <-- Insurance works great here!

You run your CPU without proper cooling at 100% you invalidate the warrenty of your processor, and motherboard when it fries it, nor is it replaced under many manufacturers warranty if it gets struck by lightning. (Countless power strips and UPSs come with their own insurance they proudly display that if things blow up because of that the power strip company will reinburse you)

Yes it is advertised as a computer that's a phone, it's a phone that's a computer, which is one of the arguements I love in favor of giving the ability to load a custom rom. 

How I see there being a MAJOR difference here, you blow up one part of something, you replace just the damaged part.  These phones right now in order to get them smaller and thiner, you end up having to replace the entire thing.  We are not dealing with modular hardware, and not everything is a nice little package...

Options

50 Posts

01-23-2010

New York

23 Signins

148 Page Views

• Views: 148
  • Message 579 of 924

2011-04-15, 19:43 PM

Nyjharmless out of all the bad analogies. Yours I feel is pretty accurate.

On Apr 15, 2011 3:29 PM, "mostlyharmlessnj" <

Lenovo IdeaPad Y550P(324156U)
Intel Core i7 720QM(1.60GHz)
4GB Memory DDR3 1066
500GB HDD 5400rpm
NVIDIA GeForce GT 240M
Windows 7 Professional
Options

289 Posts

04-07-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 580 of 924

2011-04-15, 21:38 PM

mostlyharmlessnj wrote:

eallan wrote:

mostlyharmlessnj wrote:

eallan wrote:

lorimer wrote:

Watching this thread, there are either sleeper motorola agents, or some people I would _LOVE_ to watch shop for a car.

"Ooooohh..  You are asking $32,000 for that one?!?  I _REALLY_ want it.  If I give you $45,000 and send you on a trip to the bahamas, will you _PLEASE_ sell it to me?  Pretty please?"

No Kidding!

I've never understood the ridiculous stockholm syndrome approach some people take. They're massive apologists for an idiotic policy of a company that just doesn't get it.

I've also noticed that most of the apologists don't really know what they're talking about. They try to use vague phrases and words without any understanding.

"The code will be so heavy and your device will weight more, they will have to charge more for shipping and then the Engineers they hire to screw you out of your warranty will cost so much that phones will be very expensive!"

The fact is, these things are already expensive. There is no reason for having to sacrafice a warranty to run some much much much better (NON BLUR) version of android.

I guess since I agree with giving up your warranty to allow us to load whatever OS I want, I would qualify as one of those sleeper motorola agents.

I agree that if we load JUST a STOCK Android then that should not invalidate the warranty.

However, the moment you start customizing anything that has to do with the standard behavior of the hardware on a non 100% stock android, then that is where I tend to agree with the idea of giving up with your warranty.  I do not like it, but it is reality.

You do something that causes some part of your phone to operate longer then it was designed to (syncing, screen brightness, over clocking, running any kind of enhanced driver) you can cause hardware problems. 

Read the forums enough and you will see things like "I'm running xxx rom, and the phone won't stop showing the syncing icon, now the battery life is horrible, and it's running hot."

Or all the posts of "tried flashing phone, bricked it, waiting for replacement".  I have no issue here if the replacement is coming through the insurance where is where I believe it should be done...

Nothing else works like this. Cars, houses, computers, etc. None of them immedietly invalidate your total warranty due to modifications. Cell phones should be no different. If motorola or anyone designs a phone where constant syncing makes the device overheat and cause failure (REGARDLESS OF THE OS OR ROM OR MODS) then they have failed. There shouldn't be any reason a device is engineered that will hurt itself if used.

I can use my CPU @ 100% and not worry about damage.

Mobile phones are NOT inherently different than a PC. In fact, I believe their own advertising re-enforces that belief. We shouldn't accept mediocrity and be thankful.     

Actually you are not 100% correct here.

You decide to Chip your car's computer, it invalidates the warranty on your car's computer AND any damage to your engine that may be a result of it. 

You cook on your stove and grease catches fire burning down your house, the house is not replaced under warranty <-- Insurance works great here!

You run your CPU without proper cooling at 100% you invalidate the warrenty of your processor, and motherboard when it fries it, nor is it replaced under many manufacturers warranty if it gets struck by lightning. (Countless power strips and UPSs come with their own insurance they proudly display that if things blow up because of that the power strip company will reinburse you)

Yes it is advertised as a computer that's a phone, it's a phone that's a computer, which is one of the arguements I love in favor of giving the ability to load a custom rom. 

How I see there being a MAJOR difference here, you blow up one part of something, you replace just the damaged part.  These phones right now in order to get them smaller and thiner, you end up having to replace the entire thing.  We are not dealing with modular hardware, and not everything is a nice little package...

Still not right.

I have a 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS, with the ECOTEC 2.0L intercooled turbo, 260hp/260ft-lbs engine.

Got a GM Stage I kit installed, new ECU flash, 290hp 325ft-lbs torque, and KEEP my 5-year / 100,000 mile powertrain warranty, and 3 year/36,000 mile bumper-to-bumper.

Ford has similar for the mustangs, Dodge similar for the Challenger/Charger/SRT-4.

So, in essence, I flashed my ECU, and retained full warranty.

Don't see what any of this has to do with cars, but whatever.

Bottom line, if you're going to run ads on freaking TV that say it's a computer, then you better be willing to back it up. I'm sure you've all by now seen the Atrix TV ad where the dude is dealing with airline security, supposedly...

Can you imagine buying a laptop, and your warranty gets voided because you switched from Windows 7 Home Premium, to Windows 7 Ultimate? Or to Linux?

Or how about having the BIOS locked so you couldn't switch from Windows to Linux?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete