03-24-2011

United States

6 Signins

34 Page Views

• Views: 34
  • Message 911 of 924

Re: Bootloader Solution

2011-06-27, 17:05 PM

Dont lump me in the statement "guys". I specifically said I do NOT wish to mod. I do not wish to be included in that crowd thx. I like my official updates. Key word being OFFICIAL.

Options

4825 Posts

03-15-2011

US

19 Signins

269 Page Views

• Views: 269
  • Message 912 of 924

2011-06-27, 17:41 PM

Sideloading is NOT modding. It is a required function of any device that is a certified OHA device.

Sideloading is also NOT the ability to install non-market apps from the phone. It can be used as a bypass for phones that have unknown sources forced to disable.

Sideloading is using ADB to install apps from a computer with the Android SDK installed. Some developers have come up with one-click apps that run on your computer to accomplish this without the Android SDK installed.

It does not modify system files or give you root access to your phone. It will not lock you out of future updates either. It has been discussed, many times, on this forum without being pulled or edited.

What is NOT tolerated is information or discussions on hacking/rooting/modifying the software/OS that ships from AT&T/Motorola.

Options

58 Posts

04-03-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 913 of 924

2011-06-27, 18:20 PM

thank you for that clarification, although all it does is confuse me further. I quote:

Piracy, device hacking or unlocking and posting of illegal content is forbidden. This includes: the posting or recommendation of the use of "hidden menus" and commands not generally accessible through a phone's main menus; redistribution of Motorola software; links to and excessive discussion of any non-standard software loads; and any discussion, links or instruction for updating Motorola device software other than the methods officially sanctioned by Motorola. Basically, this means that if the software and updating method don't come directly from us, we don't allow it on the site. We will remove links to hacking instructions and excessive discussion of hacking, as it is a practice we can't support and don't encourage. We judge what is excessive. Please note that a device running a non-approved software load will be recognized as non-standard and will not receive future over-the-air software updates. A key purpose of this rule is to avoid appearing to endorse non-standard practices that could cause you to damage your phone.

I think your rules need clarifying for the masses that read them to abide by them.

Actually my main question is ... "sideloading is NOT the ability to install non-market apps". I have used it to do so, so I"m not sure what you mean by that. Can you clarify?

Also, "Unknown app sources being blocked" is a common feature of all Atrix phones in the US. Am I wrong? Also I feel that modifying that programmed behavior would be just that, modifying the phone beyond Motorola's instructions.  I'm very confused

Options

4825 Posts

03-15-2011

US

19 Signins

269 Page Views

• Views: 269
  • Message 914 of 924

2011-06-27, 18:34 PM

You cut off my sentence which is probably causing the confusion - the last words of that line are "from the phone".

If you're downloading and installing an app on the phone from the phone, it's not sideloading. It's called sideloading because you're installing something to your phone from your computer as opposed to on/within the phone.

If you modify the phone so you CAN install apps that don't come from the market, that is a mod/hack because you are altering the SW/registry of the core OS on the device.

If you use android debug mode and the SDK to install an app, since both debug mode and the SDK are fully supported, and required of all Android devices, that is not a hack because you aren't touching the system files of the phone or making it do things it couldn't do when the phone was shipped.

For example: after you side load an app from your computer, can you then magically install non-market apps from your phone? No. Therefore, you didn't mod anything.

Quite frankly, the silliness of blocking non-market apps is what it causing this confusion in the first place. It is the only discussion that "walks the line" like this, and we wouldn't even be having this discussion if AT&T didn't ask all manufacturers to lock that variable down.

ryaske wrote:

Actually my main question is ... "sideloading is NOT the ability to install non-market apps". I have used it to do so, so I"m not sure what you mean by that. Can you clarify?

Also, "Unknown app sources being blocked" is a common feature of all Atrix phones in the US. Am I wrong? Also I feel that modifying that programmed behavior would be just that, modifying the phone beyond Motorola's instructions.  I'm very confused

Options

58 Posts

04-03-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 915 of 924

2011-06-27, 18:56 PM

Thank you much for the clarification. It makes sense now. Blocking non market apps is a silly requirement indeed. 1 of many I'm sure :-)

Just to make sure I have it right now, and to clarify for others reading; Sideloading from PC to phone is OK because that is through available development channels (SDK). This is only fine to discuss because we retain the AT&T mandated "unknown source app-block". If you sideoad without need of PC, that means you've modified the phone against Motorola/ATT's wishes, and therefore is not fine to discuss.

Thankfully, ALL of this may very well become moot once the official unlock update is made public. If supportforums does not change their forum rules to match the unlock's new possibilities, they will just see everyone here disappear and move to XDA where the only rules are "dont do anything illegal" and "treat others with respect". I hope the moto people in charge of the staff here regonize this shift in perspective and adjust their rules to keep these forums popular and useful. Then again.......... how many actual problems were we able to solve in this forum, because of the rules/viewpoints of Motorola? the answer is hardly any..

My case in point: I am having a problem with bluetooth audio to a JVC headunit. I know it can be fixed in the operating system (bluetooth stack modification). I cannot say more (I Was previously disciplined for doing so, for trying to help..). It is very funny how I fight so hard to fix a problem the phone has shipped with, which motorola engineers have ignored thusfar (because software is not warrantied? lol), and I'm breaking Motorola's rules to do so. :-D Irony is not only for AT&T. It is for any individual or group that has rules too complicated for their own good (another case in point; look at our goverment)

Options

386 Posts

05-25-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 916 of 924

2011-07-06, 3:23 AM

Have we gotten anything official as to if we will get the unlock (has at&t announced anything?)?

Options

16 Posts

04-25-2011

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 917 of 924

2011-07-11, 8:40 AM

I live in London, bought my phone online from a shop in New York through Amazon.com.  It was an unlocked AT&T phone with built-in AT&T apps, back cover, startup screen and installed American dictionary only.

I had problems with my phone overheating and the battery being distorted (which I posted on the forum).  I sent my phone to Motorola here in the UK for repairs.  They subsequently sent it to the USA because they said the problem represented a safety issue.

I got a call from Motorola UK saying they were replacing my phone with a new one.  I received the new phone and it is definitely a UK model. It has my location as being in the UK and the built-in dictionary is a UK dictionary.  It doesn't have the AT&T logo or startup screen.  However the phone does come with two or three pre-installed Orange apps (as Orange is set to to be the designated carrier in the UK, just as AT&T is the designated carrier in the US).

The official release date in the UK for the Atrix isn't until August 4 and the typical price for the Atrix (unlocked) here will be about £475 or $760.  That's if you can find one as most stores are already sold out of the stock they will be getting.

Options

201 Posts

03-12-2011

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 918 of 924

2011-07-11, 18:00 PM

well, you are screwed, being motorola an US country you will be behind in updates, not to mention the bootloader issue itself. Just ask the canadian users.

while the orange atrix hasn't been officially released, i have definitely seen some users with it on another forum...

Options

58 Posts

04-03-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 919 of 924

2011-09-06, 13:52 PM

[removed]

Where is the [removed] official unlock we were promised for the 43rd time?

Answer: they only said that to shut everyone up. Motorola infuriates me and I am back to never purchasing a Motorola product. EVEN IF they finally release something.

[removed]

The disconnect between what they say and do should be illegal. Because it is clearly immoral yet that does not seem to matter.

Edited for inappropriate language – please keep this conversation civil and family-friendly and follow our site rules.

Message was edited by: Matt (Forums Manager)

Options

2011-09-06, 14:28 PM

Mark, Do suspended users still receive email notifications?

I suggest everyone signs up for email notifications using the link on the right. this way you will receive posts to this thread right into your inbox BEFORE the mods have a chance to remove the emotions or useful information they contain.

Motorola is the evil one here, not the innocent customers they infuriate with their lies and broken promises.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete