Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pete_agreatguy
Token Ring
Views: 459
Message 1 of 7

How do I turn off the Factory Reset Protection? Want to sell old Yoga 3 10"

Hi all,

I am going to be upgrading my tablet soon with sales approaching from my current tablet, a Lenovo Yoga 3 10" 1GB (model YT3-X50F). Running the latest updates, Marshmallow 6.0.1, API level 23, Security Patch 2018-09-01, Kernal Architecture is armv71.

I want to sell my current tablet but I know I have it linked to my Google Account and that when I reset it it is unusable due to "Factory Reset Protection".

What steps do I need to do in order to make it so that when the tablet is reset next time, my account is not required to get the tablet working? i.e. How do I turn off Factory Reset Protection?

Thank you in advance

Thanks for any help in advance, Pete Smiley Happy
Highlighted
pete_agreatguy
Token Ring
Views: 329
Message 2 of 7

Re: How do I turn off the Factory Reset Protection? Want to sell old Yoga 3 10"

After some research I have found the answer to this and it is simpler that it sounds Smiley Happy

IMPORTANT NOTES:

• This only REMOVES your device from your Google account(s); it does not delete your Google account(s).

• Backup any data from your device (inc. SD card) prior to resetting your device.

• The instructions below are specific to Android Marshmallow (v6.0.1) or above. If you have a device with a higher version than the latter, then these instructions may differ.

To disable Google's Factory Reset Protection on your Android device:

1. Logon to your device

2. Go to "Settings" (either swipe down and click the cog icon OR open settings from your main dashboard of apps)

3. Scroll down and under "Personal", select "Accounts"

4. Select "Google"

5. For each Google account you have ...
    a) Click on the account you wish to remove

b) Tap the top right 3-dotted icon and select "Remove Account"

c) At some point you will get a warning message that removing the account will disable Factory Reset Protection
    -- I think this is displayed when removing the account you initially signed into with the device

6. Once all "Google Accounts" have been removed, you can then reset your device ready to be setup as when you first bought it:

IMPORTANT: Make sure you are connected to mains power and the battery is charged fully for this step!

a) Login to your device and go to settings (see step 2 above)

b) Scroll down and under "Personal", select "Backup and reset"

c) Select "Factory data reset"

d) Select "Reset Tablet" or "Reset Device"

e) Select "Erase Everything"

f) Your device will reset itself - this may take a while depending on your devices hardware Smiley Happy

7. Your device is now "factory reset" just as it left the factory. You will be able to "skip" all sections of the startup wizard unlike before due to having Google's Factory Reset Protection activated Smiley Happy
netia
Core Memory
Views: 280
Message 3 of 7

@pete_agreatguy wrote:

After some research I have found the answer to this and it is simpler that it sounds Smiley Happy

IMPORTANT NOTES:

• (.....)
  • The instructions below are specific to Android Marshmallow (v6.0.1) or above. If you have a device with a higher version than the latter, then these instructions may differ.

(......)

netia
Core Memory
Views: 278
Message 4 of 7

@pete_agreatguy,
My question to the quoted part of your post is :
I don't quite understand what you mean ...
Is this instruction specific to Android Marshmallow as well as Nougat, Oreo and so on ?
If so - shouldn't the word : 'higher' be rather replaced by the word : 'lower' ?
pete_agreatguy
Token Ring
Views: 257
Message 5 of 7

@netia wrote:
@pete_agreatguy,
My question to the quoted part of your post is :
I don't quite understand what you mean ...
Is this instruction specific to Android Marshmallow as well as Nougat, Oreo and so on ?
If so - shouldn't the word : 'higher' be rather replaced by the word : 'lower' ?

I meant to put "higher" as I don't own a device which has Android Marshmallow or above (ironically my new tablet upgraded to Nougat).

FRP is only available on Android v5 (lollipop) and above. The instructions may be slightly different for each version of Android; by this I mean specifically the steps taken above may differ due to how you get to certain menus Smiley Happy

Pete Smiley Happy

netia
Core Memory
Views: 241
Message 6 of 7

@pete_agreatguy,

Thanks for your clarification.

I actually own Yoga tablet (3 Plus LTE) with NOUGAT (7.1.1) on board and would be interested in obtaining the right procedure for my particular device.

Not that I'm planing selling my tablet anytime soon (it works pretty well), but it's good to know the way to clear all the data anyway - just in case.

pete_agreatguy
Token Ring
Views: 239
Message 7 of 7

@netia wrote:

I actually own Yoga tablet (3 Plus LTE) with NOUGAT (7.1.1) on board and would be interested in obtaining the right procedure for my particular device.

Not that I'm planing selling my tablet anytime soon (it works pretty well), but it's good to know the way to clear all the data anyway - just in case.

It is pretty much the same proceedure as above for all Android versions that support it (above v5 - Lollipop):

1) Remove device login security (pin, password or fingerprint etc).

2) Remove all Google Accounts

3) Reset via the Settings > Factory Reset

There is a REALLY GOOD video here on Youtube as well:

https://youtu.be/7M22U5-G1Tk

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors