Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nobody333
Paper Tape
Views: 57,581
Message 11 of 45

Re: Lenovo Yoga 10 Tablet - Factory Rom

Hi,

I was at the exakt same point. Only thing the device would do is booting into metamode.

This is what I did, to get it back to work:

- find someone with a windows 7 pc, who lets you tinker with it -> probably the hardest part for me

- download the imnage from the link i provided above

- get the sp flash tool from mediatek for example here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1982576 (I worked with v3.1328.0.183, but I can't find a link to it)

- get drivers for the yoga 10 - google 'usb_driver_MT65xx_Android_ZTE_v821.rar' - you'll get a lot of answers

- connect the yoga in meta mode, install the drivers and flash the rom with sp flash tool

BUT: you will LOOSE ALL YOUR DATA, since the rom flashes an empty /data folder. you will have to start from scratch on the tablet

eap16081977
Paper Tape
Views: 57,553
Message 12 of 45

Thanks, but I have no idea what to do with any of the info. I've had my pc, which is windows 7, for a while, but I've never  tinkered with it. Is my Lenovo Yoga tablet supposed to show up on my pc? As another device? Because it doesn't. Not when connected via a USB cable.

The 'Flash Tool'. Asks for 'Download Agent'. 'Scatter-loading. 'Auth File'. 'Cert File' . Nand Util File. I have no idea what these are, nor where to find em. Sorry, but I am kind of new at this sort of thing.

Do I Install the USB drivers on my PC? If so how?

nobody333
Paper Tape
Views: 57,537
Message 13 of 45

Hi,

I crashed my tablet about 2 month ago and got rid of it shortly after rebuilding it. So I can't retrace my steps exactly, when it comes to the driver install. Out of the top of my head, I think it should go like this:

After you connect the tablet via usb you should see an unknown device or an andorid debugging device or something like that. Open the devicemanager, connect the tablet and see, which new device is added. Then click on the device and go for "update driver".  Point to the driver you downloaded and extracted (mt65xx_usb_vcom) with the right version of windows in mind (win 7 x86 / x64). This should update your driver for the yoga, so the the flashtool can see the yoga, when bootet it meta-mode.

Now for the flashing part; I set up a virtual machine and got the flash tool running. I can retrace the steps this way but i can't actually flash anything (no tablet etc.). So if anything goes wrong after what I describe, you have to get back to me and we try and figure out what to do.

Start the sp flash tool and check the settings. Under Options you should have 'USB Mode' enabled and under 'DA Download All' I switched the speed from 'Force to High Speed' to 'Do Not Switch Speed' since the High Speed Setting didn't connect to my tablet.

To load the rom, click scatter-loading. Navigate to the extracted rom from the russian site and into ./target_bin/target_bin . Open MT6589_Android_scatter_emmc.txt . This should load the entire rom. You should see 13 entries starting with PRELOADER and ending with USRDATA . The FAC row of the table is empty. The Flash Tool has now loaded all necessary data to reflashg your tablet. Klick the Download Button and say yes to the warning. The warning concers about the missing fac file, but it worked for me. The flashtool will now send all data over the usb connection to the tablet -> this will take some time.

After the flash is complete you can restart the tablet and it should boot up the rom with russian or mandarin something like this as language. Change the language the your liking and go should be good to go.

btw: "I've had my pc, which is windows 7, for a while, but I've never tinkered with it." -> Thanks for the great laugh.
What I meant by that is the fact, the I hate developers who produce linux based devices (android etc.) but fail to provide debugging or developing tools for the linux platform, to maintain those devices. 

eap16081977
Paper Tape
Views: 57,507
Message 14 of 45

It took a while, but I finally managed to creat an account on the Russian site. These are the files I downloaded. 

Type: Driver enhanced performance smartphone with the PC (Tethering, debug mode via USB, etc.)

Version: 01/01/1000 Category: Drivers and Utilities Description: USB Driver for PC - for normal operation. Identical driver smartphones. Operating system: Windows XP SP2, Windows Vista, Windows 7 Bit OS: x86, x64

Installation: Download the file and run it on your computer. Agree to the license agreement and click Next. If the same driver is already installed, need not be repeated.LenovoUsbDriver_autorun_1.0.8.rar 9.23 MB 478 Downloads:

USB VCOM driver.rar   10.59 K    281 Downloads:

[ROM] Yoga Tablet 10 '_A422_000_040_131023_WW_WIFI

Official firmware update Yoga Tablet 10 WI-FI region ROW. Full Russification.

My problem seems to be, that when I connect my Tablet to my PC. The Device/Printers page. Only recognises the MT65xx Preloader for about 10 seconds or so. After which the device Icon disappears. And I am told its not connected. I am able to briefly look at the Properties, but when connected, I am still informed. No drivers are needed. Or have been installed for this device. Neither, when checking Properties, do I get the option. Update Drivers.

I have unzipped the file, and downloaded the drivers, from the above files.

I have had the Tablet plugged in for more than 8 hours, and the charge still shows less than half full.

muhsintt
Punch Card
Views: 57,302
Message 15 of 45

Hi there, 

To reflash any MTK device, you have to load the files in sp tools and click on download. Connect your device as soon as you click on download and sp tools will lock it and flash it. Therefore for the process you will no longer experience a disconnection. However it is important to note that it is preferable to get to a lenovo representative for any issues and only reflash if no solutions can be found for flashing voids your warranty.

Highlighted
nobody333
Paper Tape
Views: 57,295
Message 16 of 45

I wrote the post above completly from memory wuthout having the tablet available, so I think I missed the part of when to establish the connection. But I'm sure the tablet has to be in meta-mode to receive the data.

As for the driver: I'm pretty sure I got an unrecognized deviced or an android debugging device instead for the mt65xx-preloader, so I had to install the mediatek driver first.

And I think we're all way past waranty concers, when we think about flashing roms. Has either of you ever really returned a device? I got a drawer full of bricked/halfbricked phones and tablets form my android strarting days. Never concerned to me for a minute to go through all the hustle of returning the device, when you can get a shiny new one to toy around with.

gconcu
Paper Tape
Views: 57,257
Message 17 of 45

How to enter in preloader mode to update?

Thanks!

muhsintt
Punch Card
Views: 57,250
Message 18 of 45

Well guys this is what i know. When you turn off your MTK device and connect it on USB, your PC recognizes it (sometimes it says unrecognized device). Then you have to install the preloader drivers (if you have not already). when the drivers install successfully, the device will begin to connect and disconnect on its own periodically. note that through out this entire process, your device must be off, and if it has a removable battery, you must take it out.

Once this is done, disconnect you device, load sp tools and do as i indicated above.

muhsintt
Punch Card
Views: 57,249
Message 19 of 45

But again, i am not encouraging anyone to Void his/her Warranty. i believe lenovo has a solution for any problem you may face

nobody333
Paper Tape
Views: 57,220
Message 20 of 45

" i believe lenovo has a solution for any problem you may face"

I beg to differ. Contacted the lenovo support 3 times per mail. Here is what i asked (since i'am from germany, this is in german): 

"

Guten Tag,

ich habe schon versucht, im globalen Lenovo-Forum Hilfe zu finden, leider antwortet mir dort keiner.
(siehe: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Idea-Android-based-Tablets/Lenovo-Yoga-10-Tablet-Factory-Rom/td-p/132369... )

Ich habe folgendes Problem:

Ich habe in der adb-Konsole statt eines wipe data ein wipe all abgesetzt, während die /system partition beschreibar gemountet war. Ich habe jetzt also eine leere /system Partition ohne BackUp.

Die Recovery-Console arbeitet weiterhin und es ist mir möglich, Images über SD-Karte bzw. adb-sideload yu flashen.

Ich möchte Sie bitten, mir ein flashbares (zip-)Archive des Auslieferungsstandes des Tablets zur Verfügung zu stellen, damit ich mein Tablet wieder in einen funktionstüchtigen Stand versetzen kann.

Es handelt sich um die Modellnummer: 60046 und die Seriennummer: XXXXXXX
Ich bin für jede Hilfe dankbar, am besten wäre natürlich das Orginal-Image.

Vielen Dank für die Unterstützung.

" - this is my question from the original post with the same amount amount of detail. It was send to the lenovo support mail adress give on the german lonevo website.

Here is what I got in return 6(!) days later (again german):

"

Sehr geehrter Herr Simon,

vielen Dank für Ihre E-Mail.
Wenden Sie sich bitte in diesem Fall an unseren technischen Support für Consumer Produkte, welchen Sie unter 01805 366 869 (Festnetzpreis 14 ct/min; Mobilfunkpreis max. 42 ct/min) in der Zeit von 09:00 Uhr - 17:00 Uhr erreichen können.

Um Ihnen einen schnellstmöglichen Support leisten zu können, halten Sie bitte die folgenden Angaben bereit.

- Typennummer
- Modellnummer
- Seriennummer

Die Angaben finden Sie auf dem Typenschild, welches sich auf der Unter-/Rückseite Ihres Systems befindet.

Um sicherzustellen, dass Ihr Computer die bestmögliche Leistung liefert, durchsuchen Sie die folgende Webseite, um Informationen, wie z. B. Hilfen zur Fehlerbehebung und Antworten auf häufig gestellte Fragen, zu finden:
http://www.lenovo.com/support/faq
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Regards

"

They are basically telling me to call a hotline and pay 42 cents per minute to explain the problem to a technician by phone. They cannot forward my email to a technician, nor can they answer my question. They are telling me: **bleep** you, we want your money over the phone line. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors