Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tinderbox_UK
Broadband 3G
Views: 1,191
Message 1 of 6

Yoga 10 - Battery Usage Figures Wrong?

Hi.

In the Usage section of the Power MangerHD it has clock as the highest useage at 48% and MX Player Pro which i use all the time at only 3.9% why is this totally wrong see screenshot below.

Thanks

John.

1385320284378.jpg

Win7 Lenovo Ideapad Z580 i5-3210m HD4000 Win7 x64 8gb 1600MHz Samsung 830 256GB SSD
twinkerzzz
Punch Card
Views: 1,093
Message 2 of 6

Re: Yoga 10 - Battery Usage Figures Wrong?

I second this motion:

The android clock in my Yoga 10 is reported to use as much as 39-40% of battery. One of the obvious things seems to be to turn off the android clock if it is not of use to me which it isnt really because my battery life is generally running at about 7 hours use which is far from the advertised 18 hour use. Turning off the clock might enable the battery to get a bit closer to lasting 18 hours.

A coiple of questions:

1. If i turn off the android clock will it disrupt the system or is it literally just the clock in the top right hand of the screen ? I don't use any timer based system settings at all. The warning box when you click 'force quit' in the clock settings does say 'doing this might cause the app to misbehave' which is onimous. Has any one turned off their android system clock or have any knowledge of what might be effected by doing so ?

2 The clock's settings isnt located in the settings>apps bar so it must be part of the android system.

I find i can only get to the clock settings by clicking on the clock bar in the above screen cap - where it is indicated insettings>  battery usage .  If i force stopped or disabled the clock it would no longer appear in settings>battery usage and therefore i would not know how to access the clock settings - SO where are the clock setting's permanent location ?

aFriendNamed5
Token Ring
Views: 1,068
Message 3 of 6

Clock settings you can find in Settings > Apps, then swipe along until you're at 'All apps', scroll down to clock and tap. Personally I wouldn't have thought this is actually causing your battery drain. The clock is always a background app unless you're actually using it (to set alarms, stopwatch etc), so I would imagine PowerManager just has a hard time differentiating system background apps from others, which is why it shows like that in the list.

Have you checked Android's battery usage stats under Settings > Battery? Do they display the same as PowerManager's?
aFriendNamed5
Token Ring
Views: 1,067
Message 4 of 6

Furthermore, there is no way to 'disable' the system clock app. The only way for you to get rid of it would be to root the tablet and physically remove it via a file manager from its directory. The same goes for any Android.
Personally, I wouldn't go removing the clock.

The force close warning you mentioned is an Android thing, does it with any app. Its like Google's little disclaimer.
twinkerzzz
Punch Card
Views: 1,052
Message 5 of 6

are the CLOCK & TABLET IDLE BATTERY STATS inter-changeble then ?

You seem to be saying the clock appears as a general marker for system processes and doesnt really represent the clock as such - - that might make sense in that it seems to interchange with the 'tablet idle' listing which usually sits at the top of most battery draining processes in the battery usage list.

What is tablet idle - ?  Tablet idle uses a good 55-60% of indicate battery % so when the clock is not showing Tablet idle usually is.

Taking into account i dont ever put my tablet in sleep or standby - it's either all on or all off -  In this instance would idle time be all the time when the tablet is on but not being tapped or app functions engaged with ? i.e. all the 'dead-live time when one is reading docs etcs - the 'looking' activities rather than the scrolling, typing and toucing activities ? If this is so - then i would conclude tablet idle in this context is the power needed to light up the screen and keep the OS and apps always-on.

Could you confirm ?

thanks

n

aFriendNamed5
Token Ring
Views: 1,038
Message 6 of 6

Re: are the CLOCK & TABLET IDLE BATTERY STATS inter-changeble then ?

Not really what I'm saying. I'm more saying that I think the Power Manager app confuses itself when generating the battery stats, and lumps the system clock in when really, as it's an "always on" system app that shouldn't factor into anyway, if that makes sense? I wouldn't worry. Persoanlly I find that app more of an annoyance than a tool anyway.

Tablet idle is exactly that. It's the tiny bit of battery being used when your tablet isn't doing anything. 
Think of it like this: If you start up your car but don't actually go anywhere, you're still burning fuel. Same thing here. 

Even when you're not using it, it uses a tiny bit of battery to, for example, maintain a WiFi connection or poll email inboxes, and keep the processor in a "ready" state. 

If your tablet is always on but not always being used, then having 'Tablet idle' at the top of the battery stats list is normal. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors