Did you mean: 
Highlighted
McAllan
Token Ring
Views: 2,622
Message 1 of 3

Yoga 10 - very bad Bluetooth sound quality

Hi

I have just about bought the new Yoga 10 tablet. Now I wanted to use it with bluetooth speakers and headphones and noticed that the sound quality is quite bad. Like the treble has odd artifacts in it. Quite hard to explain but sound quality is very audible inferior both headphone jack and to my old tablet even for untrained ears. It's sort of compareable to a low bitrate MP3 although not quite hard to explain.

So far I've tried connecting both JBL Charge, Bose Soundlink Mini and some noname bluetooth headphones to the Yoga tablet 10 and *ALL* have the bad sound quality.

Now the funny thing. When I connect either of the mentioned bluetooth audio devices to my old tablet (Lifetab E10310) or my phone (Galaxy Nexus) or any of my windows devices there's *NO* problem with sound quality. Yes I know bluetooth audio is compressed but since the Yoga 10 produces vastly inferior sound to the other devices the problem is clearly the Yoga tablet Smiley Sad Of course compared with the same material. No difference whether high quality sound on the microSD card or spotify.

It's just about useless for listening to music over bluetooth.

Any suggestions greatly appreaciated.

McAllan
Token Ring
Views: 2,582
Message 2 of 3

Re: Yoga 10 - very bad Bluetooth sound quality

Oh well, never mind.

Would be interesting to know why Bluetooth sound has that "crackling treble" though it probably won't help me. Could be it help others with same issues. I've search the internet without finding a solution - only people with same issues on other Android devices. Great (notice the irony). Beyond me how any manufacturer can let that pass through quality control unless they're totally deaf - it's not exactly like you have to have golden ears to hear there's something completely wrong(!)

I think I'll use my 14 days return right and return this tablet.
Actually a shame because it's physically a real nice tablet. While not the fastest it's fast enough except for hardcore gaming and it doesn't stutter wildly (which is the main reason to find a replacement for my old Android tablet). Great design comfortable to use/hold whether in hand or on lap and I like the build in stand. Not to mention the outstanding battery time.

However in the meantime I've found more issues with this tablet which makes it a dealbreaker for me.

* The absolute # 1. The "crackling treble" using Bluetooth audio devices. Makes no difference whether it's Bose SoundLink Mini, A Medion BT Speaker, A Verbatim BT speaker, some chinese noname BT speaker or noname BT headphones... Did I forget some? Well think I made my point clear - it's clearly the Yoga 10 tablet which has the issue and not just with one device - but all of them! All of the mentioned BT devices works flawlessly (just so you're sure I'm NOT comfusing it with Bluetooth sound compression) with my old junk Medion Lifetab tablet (Andoird 4.1), my Asus Win 8.1 tablet and my HP Win7 laptop - again making clear the issues it with the Yoga 10.

* Very closely follewed by. No support for NTFS formatted microSD cards. Havent tried ext4 but tablet wil only format card as FAT32. Also a dealbreaker as it limits file sizes to 4 GB and it's not as robust as NTFS. For comparison my old junk tablet works flawlessly with NTFS formatted card. ETX4 also kind of dealbreaker anyway as I would not be able to fill it with stuff on my Windows laptop (64 gig over WiFi or USB to tablet takes much longer than just pulling out the hi speed card and transfering on laptop)

* The buildin launcher is crap. A bad and misunderstanded attempt to copy the iPad launcher. Not a real dealbreaker as Apex Launcher can be used. Kind of bummer though as just the standard Android launcher would be the preffered choice. While not a dealbreaker on it's own it all adds up.

So unfortunately this tablet is going back. Now I've learnt to do my research properly and hopefully won't make that mistake next time. Add to that all in the search for the not found solutions to my problems I've read a lot about Lenovo's willingness to keep their Android devices updated with recent releases. Heck 4.3 should be just around the corner and 4.4 not too far into the future. Unfortunately no info from Lenovo - perhaps because it's not very likely to happen.

So my last Lenovo tablet in a long while. At least when speaking Android based ones.

McAllan
Token Ring
Views: 2,568
Message 3 of 3

Re: Yoga 10 - very bad Bluetooth sound quality

OK. Tablet returned - problem solved. Sort of.

I deffinately need an Android based tablet but it seems so hard to find a good one. I don't have high hardware demands and that Yoga 10 seemed to fit the bill and it was affordable too. However it's software was total fail and I didn't want to risk going over my return period to see if it fits Lenovo to fix the issues. So on the hunt for another brand but seems hard. All have one major flaw one way or the other and if nothing else then on battery life. Oh well. Can be another couple of months with my old junk tablet and then the market will freeze up. There have been a yelling lack of introduction of nice tablets without major flaws for like a year or more (GPS might not be needed but many apps that really just use google locationservice have misunderstandably marked GPS as required and as such those apps won't install via googple play - bummer).

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors