Options

4 Posts

04-04-2018

ES

10 Signins

58 Page Views

• Views: 58
  • Message 11 of 13

Re: Yoga Tab 3 PLUS MicroSD card formatted in FAT32 (Ridiculous) Files larger than 4GB not allowed!!

2018-04-04, 19:06 PM

I don't have yet this tablet but It isn't possible to use a Linux format like ext4? 

It could be an easy soluction, couldn't it ? 

Options

7 Posts

04-16-2017

DE

37 Signins

181 Page Views

• Views: 181
  • Message 12 of 13

Re: Yoga Tab 3 PLUS MicroSD card formatted in FAT32 (Ridiculous) Files larger than 4GB not allowed!!

2018-04-19, 11:15 AM
The short answer: Format the sdcard as internal memory and you should be able to use larger files than 4gb.

The long answer: Why is fat32 in android? Because it's a legacy format. It is an old and very simple format that are used still by many users due to Microsoft compatibility. But android wants you to use their own format "internal memory" which if I'm not wrong uses ext4 or some other Linux partition format which is more secure and modern. NTFS will probably never be an official part of android, as the open source driver is pretty CPU heavy and will never be as good as the original Microsoft driver (which doesn't exist from what I know on linux, so it's not a licensing issue). So it's a OEM decision to implement that feature and maintain it.
I understand your frustration, I also preferred to use a format I can access into directly from my computer, but by now and by design the only proper way to access sdcard formatted as internal memory is go trough the USB mtp way (or use FTP, which is way faster in my opinion, as it allows simultaneous parallell transfers)
Options

17 Posts

02-23-2017

IT

22 Signins

166 Page Views

• Views: 166
  • Message 13 of 13

2018-04-19, 16:47 PM

Anyone tested if formatting as internal memory allows to use files larger than 4gb?

Anyway, other roms like lineage allows to use NTFS formatted card

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete