Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WhyYogaTab3Pro
Paper Tape
Views: 890
Message 21 of 77

Re: Yoga Tab 3 Pro 4300 MAH battery!?!

This is the top problem on the Lenovo Forums, as is evident from the following screenshot that I took. It is just below the stickied posts of Yoga Book by Lenovo themselves.I have no idea how they can turn a deaf ear to a problem that is so pervasive and affects every user of their premium tablet offering that isn't even old - a problem as basic and disastrous as '60% of the battery unusable'. If a software update caused this issue, another update can solve it as long as they didn't kill the battery with the 2017 update. I was in love with the tablet in the inital days before I did the software update. The battery would last for 3 days easily right after unboxing. Now, it's horrible and doesn't even last 8-9 hours.

Screen Shot 2017-10-27 at 2.40.53 AM.png

eldis
Fanfold Paper
Views: 856
Message 22 of 77

Hi.

I contacted local support asking about this and they just instructed to do a factory reset. So I did. After reset AIDA64 and other apps still showed only 4300mAh.

I looked up how to enter the Engineering Mode. It happens via Contacts app by searching a contact ####1111#. 

In the Engineering Mode go to Manual tests and Battery Charge test. The texts are probably in Japanese but that test shows the voltage, temperature etc for MAIN and SEC. I compared the numbers and believe it's the SEC that is reported by apps. The other battery seems to be invisible to the system but working in the background.

mettrin
Fanfold Paper
Views: 851
Message 23 of 77

Hey Thanks for info But if the secound battery is working in the background Why can't the tablet uden it Still only got 5 to 7 hours use time 🤔
mettrin
Fanfold Paper
Views: 850
Message 24 of 77

Uden means use 😄
northspoon
Punch Card
Views: 833
Message 25 of 77

There seems to several different forum threads about this battery topic. I have installed a couple of apps to test the battery status, Accubattery and AIDA64. Both report only the 4300mah battery and I only get around 8-9 hours light use of the tablet.

I am surprised nobody from Lenovo has commented on this topic...even if it is just to tell us we are all wrong!!

WhyYogaTab3Pro
Paper Tape
Views: 828
Message 26 of 77

You are absolutely right.

I am not sure if this is the right place to be waiting for a reply from Lenovo. If they had to reply, they would have. It has been more than 10 months since the update when the battery became a real issue.

What's more - there are no contact details when we register the tablet on the Lenovo website, only support stores.

Maybe people should post this on some place public where Lenovo is known to respond, like Twitter/Facebook/Reddit.

We are not asking for upgrades or new Android versions for this tablet, but just to fix a vital hardware issue that their update caused. Android system shouldn't be consuming so much battery. Anyone knows any Lenovo folks whom we can contact?

This is getting mildly infuriating now.

eldis
Fanfold Paper
Views: 820
Message 27 of 77

What I meant is that the apps actually use more than twice the battery reported by i.e. Accubattery. In the Battery test screen I can see that the MAIN battery is discharging faster than the SEC battery.

If my assumption is right and MAIN is the 6000mAh and SEC is the 4300mAh then it makes sense. Android only sees (for reasons I don't know) the charge/discharge/consumption related to SEC battery but actually both are used simultaneously.

This knowledge doesn't help a bit in finding why our batteries don't last as long as they should.

Also, I observed the Battery test screen during charging and at first both batteries were charged with over 1A and about 11.7V. When Android said that battery is full the MAIN was still charging at some 400mA and was at 99%. It eventually also stopped charging after about half an hour and the charging voltage dropped to 5V. I was using the original charger that came with the tablet.

You can take a look at the battery test yourself. Just type ####1111# in the Contact app when searching for a contact. If you have installed Google Contacts on top of the original Contacts app it doesn't work.

WhyYogaTab3Pro
Paper Tape
Views: 817
Message 28 of 77

Thanks for your tests, Eldin.

At least they help us figure out that it's a software issue (that most probably can be fixed by Lenovo). If the MAIN is charging at 400mA, does that mean that it doesn't support turbo charging (another advertised feature of this device).

On the box, it mentions the primary battery as the 4300mAH one, and the 6000mAH tube battery as the secondary one (assuming that primary is mentioned first and secondary second). Are you sure that android reports Secondary battery always?

So, what do we do about this issue? How to get Lenovo to listen and respond?

northspoon
Punch Card
Views: 814
Message 29 of 77

Well the apps I installed to monitor the battery, tell me with light use, I am using about 450ma which gives me about 5 hours 45 mins left according to the app (battery level 94% full). There are supposed to be 2 batteries installed in the Yoga Tab3 Pro totalling 10200mah. So if was averaging around 450ma, I should be getting around 18hours of use left, not 5 hours.

So I don't think the problem is high battery drain, but simply not getting the full 10200mah capacity promised. i.e. Only one battery in use, the 4300mah one.

WhyYogaTab3Pro
Paper Tape
Views: 811
Message 30 of 77

Battery drain is another problem that a few people were facing here. But my tests with battery apps give the same results as yours (450mA should ideally give around 18 hours of use or more - 10200mAH/450mA=22H with light use. Instead we get close to a maximum of 9 hours - 4300mAH/450mA.

But if what eldis tested was right (that both batteries lose power with use), then what does the unused battery lose its power to if the current is being drawn from the 4300mAH battery that is being used?

Whatever might be the case, how to get Lenovo to respond? This is a pretty serious matter.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors