Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo TabletsAndroid Yoga Series Tablets
All Forum Topics
Options

67 Posts

12-02-2015

United States of America

63 Signins

774 Page Views

• Views: 774
  • Message 1 of 16

Yoga Tab 3 Pro: Great tab KILLED by no exFAT file support

2015-12-02, 14:03 PM

Why does Lenovo release a high res display device like this designed for VIDEO media without exFAT support?  All of my other devices support exFAT and I am not buying or formatting/transferring media just for this device.  I already have a Note 4, Moto X Pure Edition, Galaxy Tab S8, Dell 7140 and laptops that work fine with exFAT.  FAT32 is old, uncommon and does not support 4GB files or larger.

I am not going through the effort or risk of rooting, when this device should work as needed out of box for almost $500.  Lack of exFat support is beyond lame for a new device.  Returning the Yoga 3 Pro to Best Buy today. Reluctantly so, since a nice device, but I bought it as a video media hub.  Not good since all of my cards, thumbdrives and portable hard drives are exFAT and a lot of 4GB files or larger.

I am very surprised no reviews have pointed this out yet.  Sadly lame.

What is the point of OTG support and touting it with only FAT32 file support?  Why Lenovo??

Still stunned.... FAT32 only?!?   Epic and profound FAIL by Lenovo.

Will post a review on Best Buy to caution others before they buy.

Options

12 Posts

12-03-2015

Korea

23 Signins

211 Page Views

• Views: 211
  • Message 2 of 16

Re: Yoga Tab 3 Pro: Great tab KILLED by no exFAT file support

2015-12-03, 7:54 AM

I was also shocked by now....

I bought it yesterday, and filled up 64g micro SD card with HD movies, and inserted it into Yoga tab3pro...

Error message came out and my tablet asked format it.

Please someone tell me it will be fixed soon rather than later.......

Options

241 Posts

11-13-2015

United States of America

195 Signins

4778 Page Views

• Views: 4778
  • Message 3 of 16

2015-12-03, 9:04 AM

fockzoo,

I do not have a Yoga Tab 3 Pro to try this out, but I am successfully using a 64GB Sandisk Pixtor microSD card on my Yoga Tablet 2.  The trick was to let the tablet reformat the card to FAT32 first. . (Windows will not format cards larger than 32GB to FAT32, but will support devices that large after they are formatted by another device).  After it is formatted, you can use a PC to copy content to the card.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Android-Yoga-Series-Tablets/Yoga-Tablet-2-Android-Inserting-a-Micro-SDCard-of-64GB-or-larger/ta-p/1805520

This does not fix the 4GB file size limit that Rushmore was complaining about, but it will allow you to use your 64GB microSD card in the tablet.

---------------------------------------------------------
Not a Lenovo employee, just a customer.
Yoga Tablet 2 830F, Tablet 2 A8-50
Options

67 Posts

12-02-2015

United States of America

63 Signins

774 Page Views

• Message 4 of 16

2015-12-03, 14:57 PM

That is the point.  You have to format to FAT32.  None of my micro sd cards, thumbdrives or hard drives are FAT32.  They are all exFAT and I do not want to have to format a card and other storage (OTG) just for THIS device.

The big killer is Lenovo created a high def tablet intended as a media hub and you can not use files 4GB or larger.  That is completely stupid IMO and all because Lenovo does not want to pay a few cents per tablet for the Microsoft tech royalty.  

Lenovo, how about adding exFAT as a driver option that customers pay for?  I would pay the  $1 so your profit margin is actually BETTER.  Seriously, I would rather pay the dollar and keep the device.  Nice device CHOKED by using only FAT32.

No excuse Lenovo.

Added:  Heck, I would have paid $5.  Shame to have such a nice device choked out by Lenovo due to apparently short-sighted cost reasons on royalities.

Options

12 Posts

12-03-2015

Korea

23 Signins

211 Page Views

• Views: 211
  • Message 5 of 16

2015-12-03, 15:55 PM

I totally agreed with rushmore.

Someday, I buy a bus which 64 passengers are available.

After that, the bus manufacturer told me, "As a matter of fact, 64 people is available, but only kids can ride it, adults can't get in because of weight matter"

What do you think I feel about it?

I'm living in Korea, and seller answered me that Android is originally not supporting NTFS.

Yes, my Galaxy note 3 is not supporting NTFS, but EXfat32!!!!!!!!

If someone willing to buy this tablet, I recommand to change computer OS into Window 98.

Options

67 Posts

12-02-2015

United States of America

63 Signins

774 Page Views

• Message 6 of 16

2015-12-03, 16:29 PM

Why did Lenovo bother with OTG drivers, hi def and marketing as a media hub without exFAT support?

Why does the customer have to be the one that calls this out and not undertood by Lenovo?  

Hopefully Lenovo updates with exFAT support to make this product meet it's FULL media potential and not screw customers over with FAT32's constraints.

Also, does Lenovo not appreciate people are rooting just to get this feature?  Making customers risk warranty issues for a feature THAT SHOULD ALREADY BE ON THE DEVICE is nuts.

Options

241 Posts

11-13-2015

United States of America

195 Signins

4778 Page Views

• Views: 4778
  • Message 7 of 16

2015-12-03, 21:26 PM

The device is working exactly as designed, so I don't think it's fair to say that it is KILLED by not supporting exFAT.  There are other issues that Lenovo is dealing with (batteries not charging, wi-fi that won't connect, touch screens not responding) that really do cripple a tablet and make it unable to function in any meaningful way.  Compared to that, not supporting exFAT is a minor inconvenience, not a fatal flaw.

The primary purpose of a tablet like this is for consuming media in a PORTABLE package, not being tethered to multi-TB hard drives.  A fairly small fraction of customers will be affected by this issue at all, and even then there are work-arounds for most of the problems.  

I appreciate your passion for this issue, and agree that it in a perfect world it would be desirable if Lenovo supported exFAT in future updates.  However, given the limited engineering resources, I would much rather have Lenovo engineers focus on fixing the serious defects listed earlier instead.

That's my $0.02.

---------------------------------------------------------
Not a Lenovo employee, just a customer.
Yoga Tablet 2 830F, Tablet 2 A8-50
Options

67 Posts

12-02-2015

United States of America

63 Signins

774 Page Views

• Message 8 of 16

2015-12-04, 18:45 PM

Reasonable points.  I have randomly encountered the display touch and wifi issues.  Mine after all the concurrent firmware updates (five) had two other issues:

1. Projector turning back on.  I turned it off and would be obvious if still on.  Noticed the stand area was very warm and was due to projector still on (projector was facing down when noticed).  I watched a few minutes of a show and turned it off through the confirmation box.  The projector shut off, but came back on.  I was not using the tablet at any time after turning the projector off when it happened.

2. The device would not restart without updating apps (the white box after each firmware update).  It took six restarts and each time the amount of apps decreased that needed updating.  I have had bunches of phones and tablets- this is the first to have that.  it restarted normallyt aftewards.

Options

17 Posts

02-23-2017

Italy

22 Signins

166 Page Views

• Views: 166
  • Message 9 of 16

2017-02-23, 14:31 PM

Also Yoga Tab 3 Plus is affected by the same issue...

Options

54 Posts

04-18-2017

Norway

35 Signins

275 Page Views

• Views: 275
  • Message 10 of 16

2017-04-18, 19:43 PM

well,just bought the LTE plus today and im surprised there is no work around for this HUGE ISSUE!!

I bought this expensive tablet JUST so i could play 4K and use it as a media tablet, and what do you know..

IT cant have bigger files than 4GB and it wont stream fast enough to cache it properly if im streaming 4K content either, it needs to have the file transferred into its INTERNAL DRIVE to have biger files than 4GB.. Im gonna spend some time today researching to see if theres a fix, if not this tablet and a big **bleep** YOU is going back to Lenovo..

NIce to know that i will NEVER EVER buy any **bleep** from lenovo again after they so obvious just dont give a F... about their customers and this thread is 2 or 3 years old already.. And my tablet is produced in December 2016..

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms