Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
trippb
What's DOS?
Views: 6,015
Message 1 of 10

Yoga Tablet 10 Wifi Very Slow

My family received two Yoga Tablet 10's today for Christmas.  I started trying to stream a movie from one of my PCs and the network couldn't keep up.  

I started doing some testing and found one tablet struggles to do better than a 2.5 Mb download.  The other is slightly better at 3.0 Mb download.  I have a Nexus 7 tablet and a Galaxy S4 sitting next to them.  They get 10+ Mb to the internet.  Ping times are all very similar.  

The networks on my PC and Yogas report a 65 Mb WiFi connection.  The Nexus and Galaxy report a 72 Mb connection.  I don't have a speed test server on my network to see what each device is fully capable of.  All I can report is what ES File Manager reports when I try to copy a large file from the PC.  The Nexus bounces between 650 and 1000 Kb/s.  The Yogas bounce between 70 and 230 Kb/s on the same file.

These Yogas are not going to cut it.  I've read something about the 8" having some issues that have been resolved by exchanging for new units.  Is that what needs to happen?  These were gifts for which I have no receipts and don't even know where they came from.  What is the solution here?  Deal with warranty support?

uminchu70
Paper Tape
Views: 5,962
Message 2 of 10

Re: Yoga Tablet 10 Wifi Very Slow

I am also trying to get this Yoga 10 tablet's wi-fi connection working. I am not having a problem with speed as such, but the same problem some Yoga 8 and 13 users were experiencing as long ago as Oct. 2012 according to the dates on the posts. If I am a few feet away from my router, I have two bars of signal strength (fair). If I move into the next room, I get no signal. In that same spot, my iPhone and iPod both have full bars of signal. I have done the two system upgrades that were available for download, but this was no help. It's pretty sad that this is still an issue. If there is no resolution very soon, this tablet will be going back and I will pay th extra money for an Apple product that works.

trippb
What's DOS?
Views: 5,956
Message 3 of 10

One of the tablets needed to be next to the router to download the system update (150MB+) or it would keep droping the connection.  The other did fine except for slowness.

trippb
What's DOS?
Views: 5,903
Message 4 of 10

I just had the chance to try these tablets out another WiFi radio and they kept up with the Nexus and Galaxy.  I'm looking into what tweaks I can do to the radio to improve performance.  The radio I'm using is a Linksys WRT320N runing DD-WRT v24-sp2 big - build 21061.

trippb
What's DOS?
Views: 5,896
Message 5 of 10

Well, I now have tablets I can use but things still are not right.  I ended up turning off "N" in my router and only running "G"  That isn't too big of a deal because I could only manage a reported 65 Mb connection on "N" anyway.  The desktop would occasionaly kick up into the 80's but it stays at 65 most of the time as well.  If I can work reliabily at 54 Mb, I'm good for now.

uminchu70
Paper Tape
Views: 5,847
Message 6 of 10

I moved my router location to a more central area of my home and that did not help much, you still have to be in the same room as the router to get connectivity. I also took it into work where we have a fairly sophisticated wireless network, and again only got one bar where my other devices get full signal. I am at the end of my rope with this tablet, I think. It would be nice if someone from Lenovo had joined in on this conversation...

Cnocnasi
Paper Tape
Views: 5,788
Message 7 of 10

Re: Yoga Tablet 10 Wifi Very Slow / weak

Hi, the wifi is incredibly weak the signal indicator displays 1-2 bars right beside the router! I can only compare it to other device (phones and laptop) which are having full signal, even in the rooms adjacent.

I set up a second access point in the living room - again everything else has full signal the yoga 10 just about connects.

We received it 19th of December and I installed both releases of firmware since - unfortunately no improvement on the wifi - Skype is not usable with that performance, which is one of the reasons I got it.

Bought that for the mother of my girlfriend so I don’t want to take it of her to send for repairs. Any hint how to get a better performance?

arleta
Punch Card
Views: 5,776
Message 8 of 10

There are several posts regarding Yoga's with defective WiFi. Sounds like you have to get a replacement.
uminchu70
Paper Tape
Views: 5,760
Message 9 of 10

Lenovo seems to be having trouble with their new support section for tablets, and after struggling for days trying to get through, I finally got someone on the phone today who was capable of helping me. They said they believe the wifi card is defective in my unit and that I could send it in for repairs. I read so many good reviews before buying this tablet, that I am hoping mine is one of a few defective units. Amazon will take it back and I will have a new one in exchange in two days. So I'm returning this one to Amazon instead of to Lenovo for repairs. I really like this tablet, otherwise, so I hope the next one works better. I will post back again if it doesn't.

uminchu70
Paper Tape
Views: 5,565
Message 10 of 10

I did return the original tablet through Amazon - super simple process - and the new one arrived. Connection has been great with the new unit. No problems at all after two months of use. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals