Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eortizto
Paper Tape
Views: 4,673
Message 1 of 3

ideapad yoga 11 linux

Hi all , i wan to know if i can replace the windows rt operating system with a arm linux distribution , i prefer fedora for arm 

its possible to unlock the bootloader , efi ?? 

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 4,655
Message 2 of 3

Re: ideapad yoga 11 linux

hi eortizto,

According to this thread, Fedora will be signing for a license key to allow its OS to run on UEFI-Secure boot enabled systems. As we all know, the secure boot option prevents other OS or malicious codes from running on the bootloader but once Microsoft injects the Fedora license key into the UEFI firmware, Fedora will now run legitimately on the system, at least this is the case for x86 architecture but for ARM systems, support might be limited.

/Quote/

Microsoft's certification requirements for ARM machines forbid vendors from offering the ability to disable secure boot or enrol user keys. While we could support secure boot in the same way as we plan to on x86, it would prevent users from running modified software unless they paid money for a signing key. We don't find that acceptable and so have no plans to support it.

Thankfully this shouldn't be anywhere near as much of a problem as it would be in the x86 world. Microsoft have far less influence over the ARM market, and the only machines affected by this will be the ones explicitly designed to support Windows. If you want to run Linux on ARM then there'll be no shortage of hardware available to you.

/End of Quote/

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

coolmen
Paper Tape
Views: 3,352
Message 3 of 3

Re: ideapad yoga 11 linux

Hello,

I bought, also, a yoga 11 with windows rt and secure boot. Can you confirm me if fedora 20 or next ubuntu will can change rt on this computer in the futur?

Thanks, very much.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors