Options

10 Posts

11-11-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 1 of 5

Backflip Going Bezerk

2011-08-09, 16:58 PM

My Backflip (which I purchased in April 2010) seems to have gotten a mind of it's own in the last few days (worked fine until last Sunday evening).  Specifically:

1.  When I have the flip the in clock mode (with keyboard facing the desk and presumably disabled), the menu options keep coming up.  I hit back to dismiss it and then it comes back within a short while.

2.  Funky key combinations keep appearing on input screens.  I can't remember the exact sequence right now (something like hsb; or something like that).  But the sequence appears multiple times in a row (e.g. hsb;hsb;hsb;).

3.  If I have to reboot the phone, there is a good chance that it will come up in Safe Mode instead of standard mode.

I've done nothing earth shattering with software as of late (other that updates already installed ones via the market as I've always done).  I'm thinking that there is proably some sort of physical short in the keyboard.  That would explain the funky behavior as well as entering safe mode on reboots (i.e., a short in keyboard is emulating the Menu keypress when the phone starts).   But the phone was doing nothing more spectacular than sitting on my coffee table all day long on Sunday.  I.E., it wasn't dropped from a 5-story window or fall in a puddle immediately before the behavior started.  But I do usually have it playing tunes in the bathroom when I take my morning shower.  I'm thinking that the steam might have caused the keyboard short over time.

Does this theory make sense?  Is there anything else I can try (e.g. a hard reset)?  I'm really hating to burn a warranty replacement (as well as the $50 copay) to replace this thing (esp because I'll probably get something I really hate like the Flipside instead of another Backflip). While it has done reasonable yeoman service during the time I have had it, I am itching to replace it with something faster/nicer (an Atrix maybe) when can I get it subsidized in December.  I'm prefer to have the phone limp along until then if possible.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

US

5841 Signins

132765 Page Views

• Views: 132765
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: Backflip Going Bezerk

2011-08-09, 18:16 PM

If you can't tie it to any recently installed app, then a reset is your only recourse. It will certainly rule out hardware versus software, but you will lose things like SMS and anything else not backed up.

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

10 Posts

11-11-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

2011-08-22, 12:51 PM

Sorry for the long delay in replying to your post...

The issue is proving to be intermittent.  Sometimes it works great and sometimes it is acting up.  There is no rhyme or reason.

I suspect that I may end up having to do a reset at some point.

Options

57 Posts

08-09-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 4 of 5

2011-08-28, 3:00 AM

I removed all the apps with Spyware by looking closely at the Android Market and my library, but what I've found now, is whenever their is an upgrade from the Android Market waiting, the phone begins to go crazy, and starts dialing the last number dialed whenever I access the Alarm Clock to try to set an alarm or Music Playlist and begin playing an MP3, but once I go to Android Market and install all the upgrades, it returns to normal.  Still can't use the physical keyboard anymore, as it causes the phone to simply reset.

I would turn it in, but am looking to upgrade to the Atrix next month, and will be relieved to be done with the Backflop.  Hopefully with Google taking over, embarrassments like the Backflip won't come to market especially as the "premier" Android for AT&T, wich in part was to blame because they bought the phone in 2009, but didn't release until 2010 to protect the precious i-phone, and I told them they were fools for protecting the i-phone as Android would surpass it, and even Apple's got the message as they are fixing to release "jailbreak" i-phones again, so users can use them with any network, not just one or two.

Options

57 Posts

08-09-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 5 of 5

2011-10-09, 0:39 AM

Last month had enough of the Backflip going Bezerk, and went through Asurion to replace it, and got the Motorola Flipside - which is more of what I expected the Backflip to be.  An old girlfriend of mine was in desperate need of a phone and no money to upgrade.  My one complaint about the Flipside is like the Backflip it had no interntal memory for Apps let alone anything else, and being as she had a go phone to replace her last phone and had a grandfathered unlimited data plan with AT&T I went ahead and upgraded to the Motorola Atrix, and so far, no regrets, but only 4 days into using it.  I plan later to get the HD docking station so I can hook up to my keyboard, mouse, and monitor if I need to and take advantage of its desktop applications.

AT&T will no longer warranty the Backflip, so if you are stuck with it, I suggest using insurance if you have it and upgrade to the flipside until you can get out of contract or even just to sit back and wait to see what else is coming down the pike.

Motorola caught a repreive from a long time loyal customer who was considering going elsewhere after the Backflip Lemon Debacle.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete