Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
DJPurity
Token Ring
Views: 41,914
Message 1 of 4

SIM Card Disabled.... Need Unlock Code - or Do I Need a New SIM Card?

Hi - I was an idiot checking out my phone late Friday night and checked out Settings->Location & Security and went down all the way to SIM card lock. My phone is running the latest Android upgrade for this model of MB300 Motorola BackFlip MotoBlur, I guess is that is Android 2.1?

I went to where it says Set up SIM card lock.

I went to where it say Lock SIM card (require PIN to use phone) and it asked for PIN number and I entered my own PIN number and then I thought it asked for my to re-enter to confirm new PIN and then it was locked. Then I couldn't turn the lock off, and I got to a screen when it timed out where it said that I had the option of a PUK code. I was not sure what this was, but I entered my code I thought I made, and then it asked for me to create a new code, which I did, and then it asked me to re-enter the code to confirm. I did this, and every time it said INVALID CODE ENTRY or something. So I tried other things. I tried guessing what the PUK code is. I emailed my parents at this point because it said I could get the PUK code by calling Customer Care. But I didn't think to reboot my phone and dial out. I tried to keep guessing. Eventually it said SIM Card has been DISABLED. And now I only can make emergency calls.

I found a place on the Internet that will give the unlock codes to a SIM Card if you have the IMEI number of the phone, which I have, and the model. I entered in the model and the IMEI number to see if they had it on file, which they said to do before "ordering" .... which I was suspicious of. They found my unlock number, they said, for what I entered. They just want my name, address, etc, and will let me pay using credit or debit through Pay Pal. It costs $7.99 to get the code.

I am not really happy about spending $8 what I can get for free if I go to a local AT&T store with technicians and technical help, which will do it for hello, FREE?, because I pay $5/month on phone insurance anyway, which by now on this P.O.S. phone, ought to have paid for it plenty of times..... but I secretly want to take it in to the closest DEVICE SUPPORT CENTER, which I have a referral form to go to (but that one is a 2.5 hour one way trip on public transportation, unfortunately, compared to just an hour or so to a tech store to give me a new SIM Card) and see if I can get this BackFlip swapped out for a SideFlip while I am at it.

• What is the chances of that? Of just whining enough about the BackFlip to even get a SideFlip? Isn't that what the SideFlip is made for? To make up for the BackFlip? (^_*)?
  • Anyone know how to unlock the SIM Card once it has been disabled? Or does Disabled mean NOT EVER usable for the rest of its use/life? That's all I need to know now. Mainly.
  • And secondly, as an aside, if anyone has had luck swapping this mofone out for a SideFlip and what their thoughts were of the Motorola SideFlip vs the BackFlip as far as Memory and the Android O/S and the MotoBlue version... etc. The usual. Comparisons?

The tech store I mainly use is closed on Sundays (to get a new SIM card), so I can't go today afterall. So instead I am hoping to get an answer on this forum. So please post anything you know that could help me for FREE get this MOFONE FIXED and the SIM card re-activated or re-enabled. And it's too late in the day to travel to the DEVICE SUPPORT CENTER. So boo hoo. I am screwed. I wish I had a car and not a nice eco-friendly bike.

PS - I READ ONLINE THAT THE PUK CODE FOR THIS PHONE IS ALWAYS 1111, but I think they were referring to the MiFi device that came up, not the MB300 BackFlip.... so I don't know if the PUK Code is universally 1111 or what, but it is NOT working. What could it be? Is it unique to my phone and IMEI? THANK YOU!!!

djpurity

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 2 of 4

Re: SIM Card Disabled.... Need Unlock Code - or Do I Need a New SIM Card?

If the SIM Card is disabled then your best bet is to get a new one. AT&T gives them for free, but there is not much else y ou can do. Locking SIM cards is a security feature to protect your account as a sim is tied to a phone number.

Other unlocks forsale online are for carrier unlocks - unlocking a phone to use with a different carrier.The unlock that requires an IMEI is to unlock for a different carrier - it won't help with SIM disabled.

If you could easily unlock a SIM card,then anyone could steal your phone and bypass the SIM lock. As far as i know, once the SIM is disabled you need a new one.

But the good news is that AT&T gives new ones for free.

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
anbupriya
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 4

Contact your service provider,get trustworhty unlock code.

mjb42086
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 4

does it cost to get a new sim card through cricket wireless?