3 Posts

06-26-2011

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 1 of 7

International travel with Bravo

2011-06-26, 23:23 PM

Hi

I'm traveling to Mexico next week and opted to not add on a global data plan to use the internet, check emails, etc. while I'm there. I'm trying to figure out how to "turn off" the internet while I'm there so that applications aren't running and checking emails, news updates, status updates, etc. so I won't be charge high fees. I spoke with 3 people at AT&T and NO ONE knew what I was talking about or how to help me. One guy told me "that's impossible to turn off the internet on a smartphone so I just recommend leaving your phone at home." Really?? This is my first smart phone and I'm new to all this technology so I would appreciate any help anyone could give me! I still want to be able to receive texts with pictures from my kiddos while I'm there.

Thanks in advance!

Options

132 Posts

01-14-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 2 of 7

Re: International travel with Bravo

2011-06-27, 3:28 AM

loridanpat, I would download APNdroid from the market. With it you can shut off all 3g/2g and GPRS. Helpful for your situation and also if you have a limited data plan and are getting close to your limit in a given billing cycle. Hope this helps-have fun in Mexico!!

Options

104 Posts

11-20-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 3 of 7

2011-06-27, 3:30 AM

loridanpat wrote:

Hi

I'm traveling to Mexico next week and opted to not add on a global data plan to use the internet, check emails, etc. while I'm there. I'm trying to figure out how to "turn off" the internet while I'm there so that applications aren't running and checking emails, news updates, status updates, etc. so I won't be charge high fees. I spoke with 3 people at AT&T and NO ONE knew what I was talking about or how to help me. One guy told me "that's impossible to turn off the internet on a smartphone so I just recommend leaving your phone at home." Really?? This is my first smart phone and I'm new to all this technology so I would appreciate any help anyone could give me! I still want to be able to receive texts with pictures from my kiddos while I'm there.

Thanks in advance!

Loridanpat;

These are the steps I took when traveling in Mexico in January and in Europe last month.

I have a Skype account so I loaded the Android version from the App Store ( its free and it works great over WI FI on the Bravo) If you have a PC at home ( you will need a microphone for the PC) I would sign up that way first and buy $10.00 of Skype credits. It will last quite a while. . That way you can test it calling your own phone. For some reason Skype will not work correctly if you are calling a Sprint phone. It will roll to voice mail so you can leave a message.

I do not have the international plan either but the difference is not a lot when you are roaming maybe .50 to $1.00 per min. I had my phone in Airplane mode all the time when traveling or just off if I did not need the phone. When I wanted to call I would find a WI FI location and use Skype and the connection would sync emails etc. I made phone calls in Mexico, Prague, Berlin, Paris and Toronto using Skype. You do have to tell the phone to use Skype if you have the phone' 3G radio on but Skype will automatically make the call when you are connected via WI Fi only.

Since you did not say where in Mexico you are going I cannot help you there but just about all resorts and big cities have wifi (Starbucks etc.) I even used a wifi in Pamama City, Panama. Lots of choices that AT & T folks don't know because the level 1 help you speak with do not have the experience.

The usual fee if you have to pay for WIFI is usually around $1.00 per hour. Remember where you are going, times are tough everywhere so buy a coffee or something and help our neighbors out. Contrary to popular held believe (US Big Media) I have found lots of smiles and friendly people wherever I go. So if you are a Gringo it is OK.

One more thing add the GPS Widget to your home screen that way you will know when it is on. I have mine off unless required. It really can pull the battery down quickly. Just go to the home screen hold your finger on an empty spot and when the add to home screen pops choose Motorola Widget then the GSP Toggle. The APN is a good idea too.

Have fun and travel safe.

Shackcf

Options

10 Posts

05-22-2011

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 4 of 7

2011-06-27, 14:59 PM

if u have updated ur firmware to android 2.2 then u can go to settings>>data manager>>data delivery>>data enabled(disable this).....now ur phone does not use its 3g connection..and at the bottom in applications data delivery select sync over wi-fi only....

Options

104 Posts

11-20-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 5 of 7

2011-06-27, 15:29 PM

I clean forgot about that option. Thanks for the reminder.

shackcf

Options

3 Posts

06-26-2011

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 6 of 7

2011-06-29, 4:50 AM

Thank you very much for ALL you help! It's greatly appreciated! I still want to be able to make and receive calls and receive texts while I am there, I just didn't want to rack up on internet/date usage charges, but just could not get that point accross to the techs that I spoke with and could get any help!

Just to be clear, unchecking data enabled will only prevent internet usage via 3g/2g networks, but not prevent texts, correct? Sorry if these questions are elementary but I'm new to this tecnology!

Options

132 Posts

01-14-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 7 of 7

2011-06-29, 10:41 AM

Yep, You've got it !!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete