United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 4

Pin Unlock Key Questions

2013-04-05, 6:05 AM

My phone is PUK-locked.

Yes, I know 'the only way to get the PUK is to call your carrier'. Yes yes. 

However.....

I have an unbranded sim, and no carrier. 

So...do I have ANY options short of getting a new sim card? Can I read the sim through a  PC with a reader? I read somewhere something about certain codes being listed in the certificates of the SIM? any validity to this?

I really don't want to have to trash this sim. That will make me very sad. 

Options

28303 Posts

02-02-2016

US

5840 Signins

132760 Page Views

• Views: 132760
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: Pin Unlock Key Questions

2013-04-05, 15:11 PM

I doubt what you are reading is true, and i am not sure how even a new sim will help you - The only way to unlock the phone is through the carrier. Inserting an "unknown" SIM just causes the phone to offer the screen for the unlock code.

The unlock code is based on the IMEI and a key that the carrier has - they run the IMEI through a formula that uses the key and then generate an unlock code. 

The only other option is to try some type of online unlocking service. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

2 Posts

04-05-2013

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 3 of 4

2013-04-05, 15:37 PM

I was skeptical of the code being in the sim certificate as well.

However, wouldn't the PUK code be different from the GSM carrier code? The PUK is an identifier unique to the SIM, not the phone. It's why it's printed in the documents that come with a new card, not a new phone.

It's an unbranded (or unlocked) phone. Theoretically I could put another carriers SIM in it. I've only ever put unbranded cards in it though, so I don't personally know that to be the case. 

Options

28303 Posts

02-02-2016

US

5840 Signins

132760 Page Views

• Views: 132760
  • Message 4 of 4

2013-04-05, 16:19 PM

If the phone is unlocked, you don't need an unlock code. If it is unbranded, then you should not need one either.

If you put in another SIM and you get prompted for a code, it is not unlocked. 

Sorry, I had it backwards. PUK Codes - are SIM card locks. But they are tied to the SIM card, but again, probably with a mathematical algorithm and key. There is no reason to store anything on the SIM card. 

I would bet you need a new SIM card, or you need to call the SIM card issuer for help in unlocking the SIM card (PUC code)

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=kb33662&cv=820&title=#fbid=6Vn2tSpE3Gd

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete