94 Signins

869 Page Views

• Views: 869
  • Message 1 of 2

upgrading firmware on Blade Center E 8677 with HS21 8853 blades

2018-08-17, 10:15 AM

Hi all,

We have two chassis, SNs: KKVMG6M and KKLBW3X plus a bunch of blades
The hardware is pretty old and the currently installed firmware is dated 2005-2009.
It suffers from several bugs / annoyances.
All components - Management Modules, Switch Module, blades have newer version available.
I'm tempted to run a "final" upgrade as we are hoping to use the hardware for another year or two.

I've tried looking for the latest updates on IBM websites but e.g. failed to find my Switch Module listed anywhere, not sure which updates are the correct ones etc.
I'm also a bit concerned about the lengthy and risky upgrade procedures.
IBM support don't seem to be particularly helpful and cooperative.

QUESTION: Is there a single bootable CD or similar solution that will detect all components and update all firmware to the latest versions?
Something similar to "Lenovo XClarity Essentials Bootable Media Creator" which I recently used for upgrading firmware on IBM x3650 M3 7945?

Please advise.

Thanks,
Adam

Options

53 Posts

07-20-2015

BR

60 Signins

815 Page Views

• Views: 815
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: upgrading firmware on Blade Center E 8677 with HS21 8853 blades

2018-08-17, 21:22 PM

This is probably not the answer you would like to hear, but our support would be advised to executed that because there are probably several dependencies which have to be manually verified before moving up to the latest code.

Generally speaking, your blades should still be updateable using BOMC  - make sure you get a 9.x executable which is meant for older systems. Now we may have some dependencies here already. Check if there's any dependency on any of the blade's components when it comes to a minimal AMM version. These would be described in the "dependencies" session of the readme file.

Now things will get a bit more complicated. If you have to update the AMM first to meet a dependency on the blade, there could be yet another dependency of a minimum or maximum AMM version to work on some of your internal switches, so same goes here - read each of these readmes and try to build a chain of dependencies so that you'll find a working path to get to the latest everything.

Most of the times you should start with the AMM, which may require a stepped update to get to the latest (again refer to the readme), then move on to the switches and lastly to the blades. Some undesided things can happen during the process, such as the HBAs not having a firmware new enough to link up with the latest FC switch firmware, for instance. Have that in mind while executing the update.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms