Options

30 Posts

11-13-2009

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 21 of 67

Re: Using the Cliq as a modem

2009-11-13, 17:46 PM

I get my info from being an Android user who at 1 time used the WiFi Tether App. I was contacted by Tmobile asking my WHY my data usage was so high. When I explained to them they specifically told me that Tethering is not Permitted on the T-Mobile network. I could lose my service and my contract. If you know anything about tethering with an Andrioid device you would know this has been a big problem. There WAS an app on the market called "WiFI Tether For Root Access" it was removed from the market by Google after T-mobile threatened to discontinue the support of Android phones.

The argument is that T-Mobile does not support tethering, yet the G1 is open source. Google eventually conceded stating that "we need to abide by carrier rules and regulations" and they removed the app from the Android Market

You can view a million articles on it by doing a simple google search for WiFi Tether Andriod Market. Here are some of the results.

http://androidcommunity.com/android-tethering-apps-pulled-from-market-20090331/

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-10208323-94.html

http://www.androidguys.com/2009/03/31/g1-tethering-app-yanked-from-market/

http://mobile.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/04/01/2224244

I have been an Andrioid user for over a year, and an Andrioud developer for 8 months. I have helped work on "mods" and root access programs for the G1, and MyTouch, along with programs for the HTC Hero. I am well informed about Android and especially T-Mobiles use of Android.

This is where my info comes from.

Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

US

5841 Signins

132765 Page Views

• Views: 132765
  • Message 22 of 67

2009-11-13, 18:08 PM

I think you misread the original post you are referring too. He clearly stated that he read "his corporate agreement". If someone else interprets that differently, that is there problem.

I have 1400 minutes per month and unlimited texting and data - that does NOT mean everyone does. That is my agreement.

Nowhere did the OP ever say tethering was available to everyone.

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

30 Posts

11-13-2009

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 23 of 67

2009-11-13, 18:11 PM

You know I am really starting to think noone on this Moto forum has a brain.  AS STATED IN MY FIRST POST. T-Mobile DOES NOT allow tethering. As to wether hid OLD corporate agreement lets him is inconsequential. People will come to this forum, Not read the ENTIRE thread, and think Tethering is ok, when its not.

Its OUR job as a community to keep people informed. If you think its "their problem" then why are you here? This forum was desinged to get HELP, not spread BS info.

Options

19 Posts

10-28-2009

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 24 of 67

2009-11-13, 18:20 PM
Jason, with all due respect, your statement that TMo absolutely DOES NOT allow tethering is not accurate. It is clear that in some cases they do allow tethering and it is up to the individual to understand the terms of their usage agreement and abide by them. Your blanket statement can mislead others into thinking that they cannot tether when in fact they may have that right. I would suggest that in future discussions, it be mentioned that some agreements allow, and others do not. I believe that most people do in fact have brains and can figure it out for themselves. I don't believe it is our job to keep people informed because I am not paid for any of my comments. This is an open forum where people with or without brains can share ideas. If you feel that the information I have provided is BS, that is your prerogative and my feelings won't be hurt one bit.
Options

30 Posts

11-13-2009

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 25 of 67

2009-11-13, 18:22 PM

and that answer is precisley why I believe as I do.

Call T-Mobile and ask them. They will net you without hesitation NO - WE DO NOT SUPPORT TETHERING

Im done with this forum, bunch of ill informed people giving out BAD info.

Here is Section 29 of the T-Mobile Agreement see for yourself:

29. Additional Terms for Data Plans and Features

The following terms apply to your data plan or feature (“Data Plan”). To the extent any term in your Data Plan expressly conflicts with the general Terms and Conditions, which also apply to your service, the term in your Data Plan will govern. Please read your Data Plan carefully.

1. Permissible and Prohibited Uses

Your Data Plan is intended for Web browsing, messaging, and similar activities on your device and not on any other equipment. Unless explicitly permitted by your Data Plan, other uses, including for example, tethering your device to a personal computer or other hardware, are not permitted.

Examples of prohibited uses include but are not limited to: (a) server devices or host computer applications, including continuous Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine-to-machine connections or peer-to-peer (P2P) file-sharing applications that are broadcast to multiple servers or recipients, “bots” or similar routines that could disrupt net user groups or email use by others or other applications that denigrate network capacity or functionality; (b) as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections; (c) any activity that adversely affects the ability of other users or systems to use either T-Mobile’s services or the network-based resources of others, including the generation or dissemination of viruses, malware or “denial of service” attacks; (d) accessing, or attempting to access without authority, the information, accounts or devices of others, or to penetrate, or attempt to penetrate, T-Mobile’s or another entity’s network or systems; or (e) running software or other devices that maintain continuously active Internet connections when a computer’s connection would otherwise be idle, or “keep alive” functions. For example, you cannot use a Data Plan for Web broadcasting, or for the operation of servers, telemetry devices and/or supervisory control and data acquisition devices.

So are you still telling me I am wrong?

Options

19 Posts

10-28-2009

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 26 of 67

2009-11-13, 18:58 PM
Jason, I'm not sure why you are taking such a defensive stand. You have posted a standard agreement which clearly prohibits tethering. Great. The point is that some agreements prohibit, some allow. There have been what, hundreds, maybe thousands of different or unique versions over time that all provide different contractual rights. Read yours to find out your situation. Some people may be pleasantly surprised to find out their agreements allow tethered use of the phones. I did.
Options

451 Posts

11-05-2009

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 27 of 67

2009-11-13, 19:00 PM

PDAnet works great on my G1, even though it was technically a violation of the TMO agreement and not available through the market.

for clarification, the methods used in the cyanogen mod work for other android devices, but so far no one has successfully rooted a cliq device. It's only a matter of time though. I rooted my G1 and was glad to have done it, but i will not root my cliq because i do not want to lose motoblur.

Options

19 Posts

10-28-2009

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 28 of 67

2009-11-13, 19:05 PM
It does indeed work great on the Cliq. No need for root access or losing Motoblur. What a great device from three great companies.
Options

394 Posts

11-06-2009

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 29 of 67

2009-11-13, 20:32 PM

jasonclv - there's more nuance to this issue than being "right" or "wrong".

You have found the language in your ToS that says they do not "support" or "allow" tethering.

That falls into .

However, tethering may still work, and according to the T-Mobile CTO they're not actually enfocring it.

There are at least three tethering apps (aNetShare, android-wifi-tether, and PdaNet), but all require a "rooted" device.

Options

394 Posts

11-06-2009

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 30 of 67

2009-11-13, 20:36 PM
tj54 - Ah, PdaNet doesn't require "rooting" but it currently works only with Windows and does not support WiFi tethering.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete