Options

60 Posts

06-03-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 51 of 67

Re: Using the Cliq as a modem

2010-06-06, 21:20 PM

Here are some Apps i use and they work great for USB tethering.All of them you can find on the Market.

AziLink - Free

--- > I recommend this one ----> EasyTether - Free or pay version

I don't use this one but it is available and I don't recommend this one.

PDAnet - Free and paid

Options

38 Posts

02-01-2010

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Message 52 of 67

2010-06-07, 5:14 AM
After having spent hours of struggling with PDANet I gave Easy Tether a try- worked great right out of the box. Thanks for the suggestion!
Options

43 Posts

05-07-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 53 of 67

2010-06-07, 15:25 PM
I am not looking for an app, I know they exist and I know they have some pay structure too.  I am looking for NATIVE tethering support as was promised.
Options

394 Posts

11-06-2009

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 54 of 67

2010-06-07, 15:29 PM

You'll have to wait for Froyo (Android 2.2).

And given that the CLIQ is not a "Google Experience" phone (it's a MOTOBLUR) phone, you'll be at the mercy of Motorola and T-Mobile for its inclusion.

(it's up to the carriers if they include the tethering feature in the devices they offer, even if it's part the Android source they get from Google)

Options

451 Posts

11-05-2009

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 55 of 67

2010-06-07, 15:46 PM

why wait for a native app if there are free ones available now?

i understand being frustrated if someone promised you functionality that you don't currently see. but if there are ways to do it now, why not?

Options

43 Posts

05-07-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 56 of 67

2010-06-07, 16:18 PM

The apps aren't free, they are crippleware (slightly), and published by 3rd party companies that can't offer any type of warranty if the phone was damaged by their software.  If I really wanted to go through all this, I'd just root the damn phone, but still wouldn't have the USB modem drivers from Motorola.  I need pptp VPN, HTTPS, FTP, and other sorts of non-web ttraffic, but all the 3rd party tethering tools can't support all that (for free) or even on the 1.5 android version for that matter.  Deceptive sales tactics is what it boils down to, and maybe when the 2.1 (hopefully the 2.2) update comes out, I'll have a better opinion.

Options

62 Posts

05-04-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 57 of 67

2010-06-07, 17:38 PM
To be clear,T-Mobile discourages tethering,but,the newest update for Windows Mobile 6.5 has internet sharing enabled on thier devices,something T-Mobile can make Microsoft disable is they wanted to. They dont specficially bring up tethering like they used to because they saw how the iPhone has killed and dragged down ATT's network,so now they push their DataCards/UsB sticks more now. Infact you can even tether with a Blackberry and tech support will help you set it up. What T-Mobile WILL do,and its in thier contracts now,is slow down your speed if your amount of bandwith clogs their network. However this is pretty standard practice now industry wide thanks to the iPhone & ATT.
Options

39 Posts

11-16-2009

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 58 of 67

2010-06-07, 18:32 PM
I use PDANET. Its available in the Market. Works great over 3G.
Options

43 Posts

05-07-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 59 of 67

2010-06-07, 18:53 PM

tabasco1tx wrote:

To be clear,T-Mobile discourages tethering,but,the newest update for Windows Mobile 6.5 has internet sharing enabled on thier devices,something T-Mobile can make Microsoft disable is they wanted to. They dont specficially bring up tethering like they used to because they saw how the iPhone has killed and dragged down ATT's network,so now they push their DataCards/UsB sticks more now. Infact you can even tether with a Blackberry and tech support will help you set it up. What T-Mobile WILL do,and its in thier contracts now,is slow down your speed if your amount of bandwith clogs their network. However this is pretty standard practice now industry wide thanks to the iPhone & ATT.

Let me be clear by stating that T-Mobile did tell me I could tether, that was their selling point!  Call 611, ask about tethering a smart phone you want to purchase, they'll tell you that you can and that it is supported with their unlimited plan, which is required for any of their smart phones.  I went with the CliqXT for that specific reason, T-Mobile told me that the phone is tetherable and that they do allow tethering as part of their unlimited data plan.

Options

2010-06-07, 20:17 PM

I've been tethering for years on T-Mobile. Don't expect much tech support beyond the access codes. I think it's mainly Verizon that has teathering locked down.

I am disappointed that you have to use a USB cable (rather than bluetooth like I did on my old phone). Almost seems like a little bit of a backwards step, but hey... it works.

FYI - A friend of mine has a rooted Hero. He got an app that only works on rooted phones... it turns his phone into a wireless access point.

{moderators... notice the Hero is rooted here.... not the Cliq... We cool?}

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete