Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Forum Maintenance

The site will be Read-Only during our 4-hour maintenance window on Wednesday, August 24 beginning at 7:00 am EDT.

Highlighted
Motorola Admin
Message 1 of 168 (42 Views)

CLIQ XT will not be upgraded to 2.1

Today  we posted this statement on our Software Upgrade News page:  "After  comprehensive testing of the Android 2.1 upgrade for the CLIQ  XT, we  have concluded that this device will remain on Android 1.5.  We  realize  many of you were anxiously awaiting this upgrade, but we aim to  deliver  software upgrades only when it will provide a better customer   experience."

For   many of you on our forums, I know this is disappointing news. Mark and  I  were optimistic about the outcome of the CLIQ XT development process   and were also disappointed in the final result.

Our product team  members worked for months to attempt to create a  version of Android  2.1 that would perform well on the CLIQ XT. When the  software could not  meet the basic performance standards required, they  went back to the  drawing board multiple times. They gave it everything  they had. We even  took the unprecedented step of investigating the  benefits of code  provided by the independent developer community to try  to improve XT  performance. In the end, we were not able to develop a  version of  Android 2.1 for CLIQ XT that would deliver an optimal  customer  experience.

We  recognize that many of you will be frustrated by this  news. As always,  you are free to post your comments, but please keep  them civil and  within the bounds of our

site rules

Motorola Admin
Message 1 of 168 (42 Views)

Re: CLIQ XT will not be upgraded to 2.1

Today  we posted this statement on our Software Upgrade News page:  "After  comprehensive testing of the Android 2.1 upgrade for the CLIQ  XT, we  have concluded that this device will remain on Android 1.5.  We  realize  many of you were anxiously awaiting this upgrade, but we aim to  deliver  software upgrades only when it will provide a better customer   experience."

For   many of you on our forums, I know this is disappointing news. Mark and  I  were optimistic about the outcome of the CLIQ XT development process   and were also disappointed in the final result.

Our product team  members worked for months to attempt to create a  version of Android  2.1 that would perform well on the CLIQ XT. When the  software could not  meet the basic performance standards required, they  went back to the  drawing board multiple times. They gave it everything  they had. We even  took the unprecedented step of investigating the  benefits of code  provided by the independent developer community to try  to improve XT  performance. In the end, we were not able to develop a  version of  Android 2.1 for CLIQ XT that would deliver an optimal  customer  experience.

We  recognize that many of you will be frustrated by this  news. As always,  you are free to post your comments, but please keep  them civil and  within the bounds of our

site rules

What's DOS?
Message 3 of 168 (42 Views)

How come I was able to create custom Eclair(2.1) firmware for the CLIQ, later ported over the CLIQ XT, that performs better than the official Cupcake(1.5) on both devices?

Not trying to sound hostile or anything of the sort. Just a question that I would like answered by someone on your development team for the CLIQ/CLIQ XT or by anyone who would like to take the question.

Thanks,

Travis James

What's DOS?
Message 4 of 168 (42 Views)

All I can say is motorola just lost a 20+ year customer permanently, given the performance of the unmentionable items I personally have tried, this is a cop out, if it makes motor feel any better though, t-mo is also losing a customer because they honestly should choose their business partners better. Just out of curiousity, given this, will motorola release the source codes so that the community that has proven infinitely more reliable can continue to work on it...since I'm now stuck with this piece of junk for another 15 months

What's DOS?
Message 5 of 168 (42 Views)

Basically what you're saying is that the Motorola Cliq XT is a piece of crap, and it's incapable of running anything other than an outdated operating system? Can I have my money back for your admitted piece of crap?

What's DOS?
Message 6 of 168 (42 Views)

1) Anyone who believed the update would come after almost ONE YEAR is really naive. They just wanted to extend timeframe as much as they could so then people would get tired and move to other devices such as the Cliq 2 or Defy.

2) Third Party developers did a WAY BETTER job than Motorola's Devs. Thanks to them we have an unofficial 2.1 working 99.99% and its performance is terrific, thanks to them we don't have a totally junk device.

3) You've lost a long time customer. I'm not buying any Motorola Device ever again, not even the Atrix.

4) It doesn't really matter because most folks have already got rid of their Cliq XT's or rooted the phone and installed the above mentioned ROMs.

5) Thanks for giving us false hopes for almost a whole year.

I'm not angry because I've been running the above mentioned 2.1 for a long time. But what you just did is a slap in the face to those that still believed in your lies.

I know this will probably get censored or deleted. It's not an insult to the Community Managers that moderate this forum, but to the people in charge of the update. So don't take it personal, I bet you're as disappointed as we are, but you're just the visible face of Motorola.

PS: Tell whomever is in charge to have the decency of releasing the  source code so developers from point above can fix what your own devs  couldn't do.

Thank you and have a wonderful day.

What's DOS?
Message 7 of 168 (42 Views)

The same Samsung Behold story.

What's DOS?
Message 8 of 168 (42 Views)

I am a CLIQ owner and can symathize with you XT owners. Although the CLIQ has been updated to 2.1, I had already decided that my future Android phone would be a Nexus phone. Thanks to my experience with the CLIQ, I am not buying any Moto phones again - especially with the locked bootloaders. Moto defeats the purpose of Android's openness.

Manufacturers are taking advantage of us by pushing us to sell new  phones every 6-12 months by deliberately being lazy with updates. I can deal with carrier coverage issues, not having T-Mo's "4G" on Nexus S etc. as long as I have the latest and greatest version of Android - and that is only possible with the Nexus phones.

I strongly recommend to all those who care about Android OS updates to go with the Nexus phones (even though I hate T-Mo for their spotty coverage in my area). Dump Moto, dump Samsung - dump all who are reckless with OS updates. Show your support to Google by buying Nexus so hopefully there will be more Nexus phones on the shelves.

Bit Torrent
Message 9 of 168 (42 Views)

jmwaziri wrote:

Dump Moto, dump Samsung - dump all who are reckless with OS updates. Show your support to Google by buying Nexus so hopefully there will be more Nexus phones on the shelves.

You do realize that the Nexus S is made and developed by Samsung?

What's DOS?
Message 10 of 168 (42 Views)

ѕзгνвοτ χ wrote:

You do realize that the Nexus S is made and developed by Samsung?

Yes.

It doesn't matter who makes Nexus 1/S...they are Google phones, supported by Google - which is what my point was.