Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
t480
What's DOS?
Views: 359
Message 1 of 6

Cliq not recognizing SIM card

Hello,

New member to the forum. I have owned a Cliq2 since March 2011.

The screen has been cracked recently, so my brother took it upon himself to buy me a Cliq (MB200) from someone off CraigsList for my birthday. I am not sure if this is the route I would had gone but it's not like he can take it back now. Luckily it is a Cliq with a T-Mobile emblem on it, which is my carrier, so there shouldnt be any problems. And it appears to be in excellent condition.

OK, time to transfer the SIM card.

First, we cannot get the newly purchased Cliq to recgognize my SIM card. It is an old T-Mo SIM card that has been transferred from A Samsung T-719 purchased in 2007 to a BB Pearl to a BB Curve and then to the Cliq2 bought in 2011.  I do have newer SIM cards that have never been opened or activated, so that could be an option. But the SIM works fine in my Cliq2. But in the newly purchased Cliq we immediately get the "Please insert SIM card" message on the screen.

Yes, we did do a factory reset and then re-tested the SIM.

Wi-Fi works.

We were curious if the SIM Card can't be read until we go through the Motoblur registration.

Also, can the Motoblur info just be transferred from the Cliq2 to the SIM Card or SD Card so I don't have to login on the newly purchased Cliq?

I forgot my Motoblur password and it is registered with an inactive email address, so a password recovery via email is not an option. Should I just open a new Motoblur account? Will it let me connect the same emails and social media accounts as the old Motoblur account?

Any advice on this would be helpful. Thank you

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 2 of 6

Re: Cliq not recognizing SIM card

I would call up T-mobile and ask them to setup one of your newer Sim cards you have and give that a try.

As for Motoblur, a new account would be fine. But you would need to setup your accounts but your Google account can be used on the new cliq so you apps that you have bought will show up. You need to remember that the cliq will have less apps available to you since its only running 2.1 instead of 2.3. Its a step back but should work with any T-mobile Sim card.

t480
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 6

Thank you, Eagle,

Just as a possible early indication, what happens when you insert an un-activated SIM card into a Cliq?

Will it still say "No SIM Card. Insert a SIM Card."?

Or will it recognize the SIM card and tell you its not yet activated?

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 4 of 6

I just tried both.

Without a sim card the notification bar shows a sim card icon with an orange cone in front of it.

With a deactivated sim card installed it shows nothing, but if you try to call you will only get t-mobile.

t480
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 6

With both the activated and non-activated SIM cards, it is telling me to "Insert SIM Card". It sounds like the SIM card reader is not working.

I shouldnt need an unlock code if both phones and SIM cards are all T-Mo, right?

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 6 of 6

Sounds like the sim reader is not working.