Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
desertstraw
Paper Tape
Views: 314
Message 1 of 5

Why doesn't Cliq work with Consumers Cellular

I have installed the Consumers Cellular SIM card into my phone. Now the phone does voice and messaging but not data. Why?

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 2 of 5

Re: Why doesn't Cliq work with Consumers Cellular

Most likely your carriers data is on a different radio band. This happens when people use any TMobile phone such as the Cliq on another service providers network. People that used it on the ATT network can only get a much slower data rate like Edge and not 3G. Wifi should work no matter what provider you have since it doesn't need any provider, only a Wifi access point.
desertstraw
Paper Tape
Message 3 of 5

Well folks contrary to what a lot of agents at Consumer Cellular said, a Motorola Cliq does do data on their network. You just have to find the rare person there who knows how to configure it.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 4 of 5

Sorry, I never heard of this service provider. They might be able to do data on there network but what kind? Edge or 3G? I will see what I can find about this provider later tonight and see if they match the Cliq's specs.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 5 of 5

Ok, I looked it up and found that it works with any ATT phones. It does not state T-Mobile phones. The Cliq is a T-Mobile phone so you should only be able to get Edge data which is slower than 3G. They do not mention anything that works with T-Mobile phones but they sell the Bravo which is an ATT phone that came out around the same time as the Cliq.

Use Your Own Phone...

SIM Card

...with a Consumer Cellular SIM card. Starting your service with a SIM card is quick and easy, and there are no activation fees. To be compatible, your phone should be either a Consumer Cellular phone, a phone previously used with AT&T, or an unlocked GSM phone.

This came right from their site here http://www.consumercellular.com/Info/Phones

You could try going into the settings and then choosing Wireless & Networks, scroll down to mobile networks and then change the select network to 2G only and see if it works. If not then there are settings there that might need to be changed but I would call them about this. You will never get 3G but 2g/Edge you should be able to use. 

They had this on there site as well.

Selected Subtopic

Click a link to see your answer:

Can I use a non-Consumer Cellular phone with my Consumer Cellular plan?
I have a non-Consumer Cellular phone. How do I set up messaging and web access?

If you are using your own phone with your Consumer Cellular plan, you can sign up for one of our Connect!plans for messaging and web browsing:

1. Sign up for the Connect! service:

1. Log in to My Account.

2. Click "Change Services" in the box on the right.

3. Select the Connect! plan that best fits your needs.

4. Select “Messaging” and "Data (Web)" for the different phones on your plan. You can decide which phones receive each service. Turning off one of the services for a selected phone, or for all phones, does not affect the price of the plan.

5. Click "Submit."

2. Configure your phone to work with the Connect! service. Each phone is different, so you will need to refer to your phone’s user manual to find out how to change the following settings:

Service NameMMSWeb
Proxy Address proxy.mvno.ccmobileweb.com <blank>
Proxy Port 80 <blank>
Proxy Push Disabled Enabled
Authentication Type Secure Secure
Username (CSD/GPRS) <blank> <blank>
Password (CSD/GPRS) <blank> <blank>
GPRS access point att.mvno att.mvno
Homepage http://mmsc.cingular.com http://mmsc.cingular.com

Other Notes:

1. Our Connect! service is a great deal for casual data use. However we do not offer unlimited plans for heavy data use, such as watching videos or listening to streaming audio.

2. Please understand that, while our Customer Service representatives do everything they can to help solve customers' problems, they are not trained in setting up phones that do not come with the Consumer Cellular service.

3. Many phones that are compatible with our service will allow you to modify the settings and begin using our picture messaging and web service. However, there are some phones that will not work. If you have difficulties we can help you select one of our affordable data capable phones that are fully supported.