cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Shout-Out: Doctordon
Not applicable

shoutout.JPG

Meet @Doctordon, who has just decided to take on additional responsibilities in the Community, for which we are very thankful!

Don.pngTell us about yourself (What you do etc, your interests, background) 
I'm a semi-retired hall-of-fame broadcast personality with over 30 years in radio and television, most notably as a morning radio host in Detroit, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh and Tampa Bay. A little over three years ago, I hung up my headphones in Detroit and relocated back to Tampa Bay. I currently host a weekly syndicated country music oldies show and am working on my first mystery novel.

In addition to being on the "talent" side of things, a childhood curiosity of electronics evolved into a background in engineering, as well. That's what sparked my interest in computers just as the first PCs were hitting the market. I cut my teeth on CP/M and MS-DOS, COBOL and C. Tired of paying cable companies for their flimsy DVRs, I built my own about seven years ago. It's gotten some upgrades over the years, but still runs quite well. The commercial DVR market is just now catching up to capabilities I put in mine at the beginning.

Most days find me sleeping in, writing and recording my radio show, cooking up fabulous dishes with my wife (who, being a chef, does most of the work) and chasing our two parrots around the house. We are avid cyclists and champion beer drinkers.

How did you discover our forums? 
I've long-since learned that the best way to keep a computer on top of its game is to stay abreast of the latest tips and tricks and forums are the best place to do that. My editor's husband is the one who recommended Lenovo's line of Yoga computers, so the day after I bought a 910, I went directly to the forum to learn more about it.

What do you like about our community? 
I like that it's very friendly and completely void of the politics and profanities that plague a lot of other forums. I learn something every single day from Lenovo's experts, gurus and other users.

What keeps you going and helping others?
I'm by no means a computer expert. I'm a tinkerer, at best. And that goes for automobiles, consumer electronics, carpentry and so on. I've turned to the internet many times for help and tips on whatever project I'm working on. I sort of feel obligated to return the favor any way I can and enjoy doing so. And if I don't know the answer to a question, I'll do my best to find it. My father always said, "If you don't know the answer, know where to find it." 

Have a question for our advocates? Do remember to post it in the correct board, and be nice to them as they are volunteers!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

About the Author