08-03-2011

GB

11836 Signins

299494 Page Views

• Views: 299494
  • Message 1 of 7

In the Community Spotlight - They've got HEART

2012-09-25, 3:10 AM

They think nothing about spending copious amounts of time online helping ThinkPad users with technical support questions in the Lenovo Forums Community and other forums, and even traveling thousands of miles around Germany, giving on- the- spot hardware fixes to machines for free.

Meet Lenovo Forums advocates Mornsgrans* and Klaus Feige, who give all that they can to help fellow ThinkPad lovers , and who find much, much personal joy and satisfaction from doing so.

And get this – as a result of their participation in such activities and together with the other users in the independent german ThinkPad forum,  close to €14,000 (or US$17,000) in total has been raised to date since the very first meeting held, and the funds have been channeled to various charity organizations including a Children’s Hospice, and an aid association for cancer.

Serene:  How did the meet-ups come about?

Mornsgrans: The sessions started in 2007, when another ThinkPad user suggested having a meet-up in Kiel, Germany. It proved such a success that other ThinkPad users who heard about this wanted one as well. We have had sessions all over Germany, including Berlin, Stuttgart and Duesseldorf, which are attended by passionate fans, ourselves and fellow Lenovo Forum advocates agotthelf and andyP, who also help out with their expertise.

pic2.jpg

Participants hard at work helping one another

Klaus:  While most sessions occur in specific cities targeting users who live in an area, we also have special ThinkPad gatherings meant to draw participants from all over Germany – the ‘ThinkPad Woodstock’ and ‘Northstate Community Meetings’, which have both been held twice. The next meeting will be held in Hannover on Sep 29, 2012 so we are really looking forward to that.

Serene: What goes on at such gatherings, and how exactly do you get word out to people?

Klaus:  Our meetings usually start with breakfast, where we get to know one another and match the ‘real’ people behind their forum handles. Once the meal is over the hard work of disassembling machines begins, followed by the replacement and installation of damaged parts. We also do simple diagnostics of a machine that is not working. Participants also make use of the meetings to sell parts and older systems, as well as show off new ThinkPad models they have, and even their modded systems.

Mornsgrans:  Meetings generally do not exceed eight hours, but our meetings in Berlin can go up to 20 hours! We usually post the meeting announcements in the  german ThinkPad-Forum and  Lenovo Forums (German) Community. In special cases we even organize help for individuals, where we pair him/ her up with an experienced user in the person’s area.

pic3.jpg 

Real-life Santa Claus-es

Serene: Do participants have to pay to take part in such gatherings?

Mornsgrans: All personal costs for travel and food are borne by participants; we do not charge a cent for our services. Participants are, however, free to donate to our charities. Since November 2008, we have worked together with members of the independent german ThinkPad community and raised close to US $17,000 through such meetings, as well as auctions, where the money is channeled to various charity organizations, including a children’s hospice and an aid association for cancer and leukemia. Most of the donations come from regular participants and organizers.

Klaus: If I hadn’t covered 20 ThinkPad meetings last year and spent more than US $2,000 the new ThinkPad X1 Carbon could have been mine! I am kidding of course - it’s all worth it; I love meeting all the wonderful ThinkPad enthusiasts in real life and helping them.

Serene: What has been the most memorable outing so far?

bear.jpg

The Traveling Bear - the furriest participant EVER.

Klaus: See the furriest participant ever - a man-sized teddy bear that literally 'took' the train from Munich as its owner had collected it after purchasing it off eBay to Dusseldorf, where both joined the meeting.  It was such a sight!

Klaus Feige was an L2 support engineer for 13 years before he started work for an urban transportation company and is a Lenovo Forums Moderator. Mornsgrans* (real name withheld by request) is an administrator in a chemical plant and is a Lenovo Forums Guru.  Say hi to them when you see them in the forums!

EDITED for clarity - thanks Alroar!

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel answered your question as the solution. Did you find a post helpful? You can thank the member by awarding them a Thumbs Up! Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.
Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community
Options

2192 Posts

05-02-2008

MY

14693 Signins

219550 Page Views

• Views: 219550
  • Message 2 of 7

Re: In the Community Spotlight - They've got HEART

2012-09-25, 5:45 AM

I really like what you guys are doing. So proud of you! 

T410, x240

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Options

2420 Posts

01-21-2009

DE

2771 Signins

119910 Page Views

• Views: 119910
  • Message 3 of 7

2012-09-25, 8:35 AM

Thanks Cleo ,

hope that sometimes all over the world meetings will held...to have a global community in real world.

regards KalvinKlein

Yoga Home 900 - Yoga 2 11- Yoga tablet 2 all WIN 10 1809
Moto Z Play - Moto Z2 Play
Options

0 Posts

11-16-2009

Germany

5 Signins

54 Page Views

• Views: 54
  • Message 4 of 7

2012-09-25, 13:59 PM

One important fact has been missed out:  these meetings, aswell as the donations have all been organized by members of the german thinkpad forums (www.thinkpad-forum.de). just saying this, because it might sound like lenovo forums created this.

Nontheless a great action and thanks for publicity.

R400, X60, T42, N200
Options

2192 Posts

05-02-2008

MY

14693 Signins

219550 Page Views

• Views: 219550
  • Message 5 of 7

2012-09-25, 14:34 PM

Hi alroar ,

You're right. ThinkPad forum members organized this event and we're really glad for their initiatives not to mention involvement by a few Lenovo advocates. We're proud of what you guys have done! :) The German Community as mentioned in the article actually has links pointed to thinkpad-forum. I'm sorry and apologize that caused confusion. We have just updated the content accordingly. Hope this can clear out some doubts.

Thanks for your feedback!

Best regards,

Cleo

T410, x240

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Options

170 Posts

01-28-2011

DE

219 Signins

3201 Page Views

• Views: 3201
  • Message 6 of 7

Betreff: In the Community Spotlight - They've got HEART

2012-09-25, 16:05 PM

Very nice to bring the "meetings" :) to the official forum! THX

CU @ the next one guys...

EDIT:

@Cleo_Lenovo: Could you be so kind to remove the "wiki" from the link in the first part?

It is the "german ThinkPad-Forum" :) Sorry for being so fussy...

ƃuıʞʇɟıɹp
Options

1289 Posts

08-03-2011

GB

11836 Signins

299494 Page Views

• Views: 299494
  • Message 7 of 7

2012-09-26, 1:42 AM

@Puntohgt2008 Hello there! Edited :) thanks so much!

serene

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel answered your question as the solution. Did you find a post helpful? You can thank the member by awarding them a Thumbs Up! Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.
Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete