Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

IntroductionCommunity Spotlight
All Forum Topics
Options

1465 Posts

08-03-2011

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

12039 Signins

308659 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 308659
  • Message 1 of 2

Lenovo Touch Moments: Touching the future with the Lenovo IdeaCentre B540

2013-07-23, 1:33 AM

Technology journalist Michael Archambault, otherwise known as Marcham93 in our forums, experiences, for the first time in his life, gaming and writing on a touch-screen desktop, and tells us how the B540 has improved the way he consumes digital content here:

Michael Archambault

A few weeks ago, Lenovo shipped out their multimedia IdeaCentre B540 desktop to my front door; since then, I have been putting the 23 inch touch screen all-in-one desktop through its paces. To my happiness and Lenovo’s honor, the B540 is an incredible system to work with.

m1.jpg

When I go to sleep at night I leave my machine in Sleep mode for fast access in the morning. As a technology journalist I need to have access to the latest content as fast as possible and the IdeaCentre’s Intel Core processor and 8 GB of DDR3 RAM make that a reality.

After I pull myself out of bed and start up the IdeaCentre I’m welcomed by the touch friendly start screen of Microsoft’s latest operating system, Windows 8. Before testing out the IdeaCentre B540, I had never interacted with Windows 8 on a screen size of such magnitude and let me tell you – it makes all the difference.

As I scroll through my morning news, whether via an RSS client or an official publication house’s application, the B540 responds perfectly to my touch and never lags behind. The edgeless design of the unit is not only beautiful, but also allows for Windows 8 edge gestures to be picked up correctly and this makes the machine all that better to use.

m2.jpg

Being able to interact with a large touch screen monitor is like a dream from science fiction movies of long ago come true; the Lenovo B540 helps to connect consumers and make those dreams a reality. Scrolling through content, checking my email, and interacting with friends is only a touch away – literally.

One of my favorite uses of the touch screen, outside of work purposes, is playing some of the hot new games from the Window’s Store. You really haven’t played or experience Angry Birds and Jetpack Joyride until you’ve played them on a gorgeous touch screen display such as this one.

When I’m not playing games, the IdeaCentre B540 has certainly helped pick up my productivity and get me what I need more quickly. Touch is the future of user interaction and Lenovo has certainly nailed it down here. Swiping through my never-ending list of emails, flicking through PowerPoint presentations, and working in Photoshop have become an enjoyable experience.

Let’s not forget that this machine is a multimedia All-In-One loaded with an NVidia GeForce 615M 1GB graphic card, a whopping 8 GB of RAM, and a speedy 7200 RPM 2TB hard drive. If I want to watch a movie or go dungeon questing in World of Warcraft – this machine can handle it. I was quite surprised at the level of detail the built-in speakers achieved and for once, I felt I didn’t have to demand the speakers be thrown aside for external ones.

m3.jpg

My only wish for a future iteration of the system, would be the inclusion of a more powerful graphics card. The NVidia GeForce card placed within the Lenovo B540 is a mobile card designed for laptops and while it can handle games, as I mentioned above – I want to be able to up the detailed settings as much as I can. Hopefully Lenovo will either add a more powerful GPU down the line or we will see an all-in-one touchscreen desktop from their gaming line of IdeaCentre PCs.

That said, all in, I was excited to try out Lenovo’s latest all-in-one desktop and I was not disappointed. The unit’s 23 inch touchscreen could not be overlooked and to my surprise – improved my productivity. Couple the touch features with an NVidia graphics card and Dolby Advanced Audio and you’ve got the ultimate machine – Lenovo’s IdeaCentre B540 Desktop.

Want more? Here's his walkthrough review. Read Michael's review on the B540 in Windows Phone Central!  What was YOUR experience? 

Go to https://vimeo.com/70828447

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel answered your question as the solution. Did you find a post helpful? You can thank the member by awarding them a Thumbs Up! Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.
Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community
Options

7 Posts

02-22-2010

Lenoir, NC

34 Signins

232 Page Views

• Views: 232
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: Lenovo Touch Moments: Touching the future with the Lenovo IdeaCentre B540

2013-07-23, 16:53 PM

Great review Michael, what RSS feeder do you use? I was recently forced to switch off of G-Reader and am using Feedly. Pretty decent so far, just wanting to see what option(s) you are using.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms